So I Bought a ProMaster last year.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Very cool guy. When I first saw your van I must say I was not digging it. After following along I can say I have changed my mind. Cool build.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I had my heart set on one, a 159" wheelbase, hightop, actually. But I think I'm going another route...

I like it! It looks so tiny by itself, then huge next to the XB!

DzlToy

Explorer
Please tell me the chic with the Duc is not hot. That would just add too much awesomeness to this thread.

:beer:

MouSe

So I know the ProMaster is not a huge 4WD "expedition" vehicle. But I have travelled and worked this crazy world from Antarctica to Northern Africa and all the way to Nebraska. I have lived in crappy mountain towns (sorry Leadville, CO) and commuted to even crappier mountain towns (looking at you Vail). All this time I have never actually had a 4WD car or truck. Volvo 240's, Toyota Camrys, Toyota 2WD pickups, have gotten me up and down rough roads, through blizzards, and out the muddy farm road to the family without much of a hiccup. I have ridden in decade old Corollas across some seriously craptacular goat track (ok not really goat track, but there were goats on it.)

So a front wheel drive van seemed like a good choice.

Although I did have this 11 mph monster for a few weeks:

And then upgraded a year later to this (well pretty awesome sauce van)

Plus when I need to get off the paths most traveled, away from FS roads and onto single track adventures I still have this piece of Swedish Italian.

Last edited:

MouSe

Any way, enough with the excuses. I am going to use this van for fishing remote little streams on dirt roads to nowhere. To camp out freezing, in order to make the dawn patrol and skin in for glorious backcountry ski days. For drunken days at the swimming hole, when there is no way to get behind the wheel, and the evening looks to be even better. To go to hippie festivals and sleep more comfortable than a tent. And for beachfront property on the Washington coast. Perhaps another trip down Baja.

So with that in mind, and the fact that I document poorly everything that I do, here is the van in its 80% done version. There are a lot of small details to get around to, but it is pretty functional, and has had quite a few nights out... ok dozens of nights out, and my employer is beginning to wonder why I only have three day work weeks.

For the sit and screw (bench/bed) I bought a full size 5" memory foam mattress, cut 3" off the end and then chopped it into three parts. Found some durable, flower embroidered upholstery and got the old Bernina sewing machine out and cranked out some cushions.

Remember the strong women part from earlier. I decided that the squeaking of the bed in addition to the rear suspension bushings was just too much. So to remove the sag in the bed I added in six, 1" square aluminum tubes for reinforcement. Applied felt on the bottom of the tubes to glide along the cabinets during the bench to bed transformation.

Last edited:

MouSe

I built some additional shelves (I still am debating doors or slides or Virgin Mother beaded curtains to close them in.) screwed them down and attached them to the side wall of the ProMaster. As you can see they also still need some trim to hide the ply.

And on top, while there need to be a panel put along the back to keep stuff from rolling behind the shelves to be lost forever, I found a perfect place to store beer coozies.

And a view of the whole *** end. Bed deployed.

MouSe

Zombies, like the Tooth Fairy do not exist. But I still think that an axe cannot hurt. So rubber mounts and the axe and awning stick have a place to live.

You may have also noticed that the floor is an engineered "hardwood". I do not know much about it. It was leftover from a tiny house build, also known as free. It is a grey finished wood, very costal and tres chic. The hatchet is for the Tooth Fairy. Never did trust that one.

MouSe

Electricity. Finally the one thing that I understand. So I am not a carpenter, and not a designer. I purchased for this build a jigsaw, circular saw, nail gun and compressor, sandpaper, and just started building stuff.

I am an electrician, by trade, by education, and by god I should be able to wire up a solar system and some lights and switches.

So I made a box (carpentry skills) for the battery and the charge controller. The controller has a nifty readout, and the ability to change and customize every parameter. So I set it for charge rate, float cycles, and max discharge rate. All the rest I left alone. All the wires are bundled in plastic armor in the walls and wiring for all lights and fans are laid out and tied back with zip ties and sticky backs.

And it then goes to the distribution panel, and switches. The glowing red switches are bright at night and require covering to sleep at night.

Last edited:

MouSe

I really wanted a smoke detector, but not a huge, beige, flying saucer of a detector. So I found this number. It is a particulate detector, so less false positives in a little space, plus it is tiny, and has a five year battery life. Finger for size reference. I should have been a hand model.

All of the wall and roof panels are attached by inserting brass and rubber well nuts into the existing holes in the van framework. Then a 1/4" nylon spacer and a stainless bolt and lock washer to hold it in. This keeps all the wood and fibers that contain moisture off the van. The only thing touching the van is the rubber of the well nuts. There is space at the top and bottom of each panel, allowing air to circulate in side the wall cavity with the theory that it will allow any condensation in the walls to dry out quickly and completely.

MouSe

So that is pretty much where the project sits right now. Summertime is sucking up all my time, with pretty girls, and swimming holes, and adventures at the beach, and shows and festivals. So I will update later, as I dial it in some more.

This fall I hope to do the following.

Blizzack tires on steel rims for ski adventures.

Powder coat alloy rims black.

Put better and badder *** looking and performing tires on now black rims. Perhaps gain an inch of ground clearance.

Install small sink and water pump.

Finish trim and missing panels.

Figure out a table for the back.

Install high cabinet over red cabinet.

Sliding window in wall by bed.

Then, I will probably call it complete. For a while. At least until Tuesday.

ok, Monday.

My hat and cup are ready to go.

Thanks for reading and adventure on!

MouSe

******** !!!! Buddy this van is definately not my cup of tea:) . But I have to say you are one " far out dude" sorry but I think that would be a compliment to you.
I read every word three times, it was fun informative and well it was fun.
I have a ranch on the McKenzie river . You are more then welcome to come and camp and kayak your heart out . Heck I will even teach you to fly fish....catch and release only.
My daughter and son in law live and work in Portland.
Keep up the great work it's looking great.
Mike

Mike,

I want to fish the McKenzie. I have been flicking nymphs and dries the last few weeks up around Mt Hood. It has been good. So at some point I will PM you and take you up on that offer. Thanks Mike! From Mike!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle