Montero Engine Mods?

Hammerprepper

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here on ExP. I own a 2004 Montero Limited, which i love. it has the 3.8 v6 that's a little gutless and pretty thirsty. i love everything else about my monty. i thought, since it was a Mitsubishi it would have a good amount of aftermarket engine parts, but i can't seem to find much. Has anyone been able to boost power and efficiency? any chips out there for our montys?

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
For starters, are you running premium fuel?

If not, delete this thread, fill the tank with premium, drive 500 miles, come back and make a new thread if you're still feeling under powered.

Hammerprepper

I do run premium fuel, the power is kinda there it's a very comfortable ride and I feel confident when i have to put the pedal down, i guess i'm just used to my turbo diesels, power, economy and torque to spare. I know that's a lot to ask from a gas engine, but i know that engine should be able to break 20 mpg. I get 16 with reg and 19 with premium. there's potential, but i was wondering if anyone had unlocked the monty's econ.

lordtrunks

camp loser
doing a full tune up and you might get 21 thats gonna be as good as it gets, regear with 4.90s and that'll get you into the power band these engines like, these things just don't get good mpg's they are heavy, and don't have the big power that the current engines have.

Hammerprepper

that's an idea. i'm just surprised by the lack of engine tuning available for the 3.8. maybe I should transplant a DID Diesel. hahaha. anyone here done that before?

lordtrunks

camp loser
The car guys are the big tuners of these motors if you do a quick search of 6g75 performance upgrades you'll come up with some car forums those guys are really into tweeking motors but with the way the truck motor cam profile goes your really gonna squeeze a sponge and not get a big gain without doing some sort of forced induction. If i were you just get used to the power you've got under the hood for now and maybe regear the diffs with 4.90s which will wake the truck up a bit, and if you junkyard them it won't cost much. spend your money on rock sliders and lifts and have fun offroad thats where these trucks really shine.

Hammerprepper

i plan on adding sliders and an OME lift. the problem is there's not a whole lot of wheeling to be done here in MN, the goal is Utah, that's why i'm thinking economy. 1400 miles one way at 18 mpg cuts down the fun money for the trip haha. i feel kinda silly due to the lack of knowledge i have on this particular engine. i did some research on the 3.5 when i was looking into getting an '02 but i jumped on a '04 when it popped up.

KyleT

Explorer
The diesel will be way slower than the 3.8l...

There is a forum dedicated to the 6g7x series. Club 4ag? Maybe? Just google 6g75 power and you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
The diesel will be way slower than the 3.8l...

Are you comparing to a 3.2DiD (4M41 second gen) which would be my guess the diesel the OP was referring to.
Power —147 kW (200 PS) at 3800 rpm
Torque — 450 N·m (330 lb·ft) at 2000 rpm

Even the older non VVT has more torque:
Power — 121 kW (165 PS) at 4000 rpm
Torque — 351 N·m (259 lb·ft) at 2000-3000 rpm

3.8l (4G75)
Power - 172 kW (234 PS; 231 hp)
Torque - 339 N·m (250 lbf·ft)

Torque wins races (HP sells cars)

Even the 3rd gen 2.5l DiD (4d56) VVT will smoke a 4G75
Power - 131 kW (178 PS) at 4,000 rpm
Torque - 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) at 2,000 rpm

Give me a modern diesel any day.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
4m40, but ya those numbers are a lot more than I was thinking.

I will say the 3.5 is the slowest I have seen with that much hp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
My 3.5 V6 seems to get up quicker than the 4.7 V8 in the 120 Series Landcruiser i'm looking at so I don't think we've got it too bad. I mean the V8 has more torque for sure but it's still a slug likely due to the motor being geared out of it's power band for emissions and MPG. On the topic of 270hp I've been talking to a friend at Mitsubishi about the possibility of a stand alone wire harness for the 3.8 MIVEC V6 which would be really worth swapping into a Montero. If you haven't driven a MIVEC engine they feel like they are in the power band all the time. It's great, I imagine the 3.8 MIVEC in a late model Montero would be like the 3.5 DOHC in a 2 door Gen 1 where WOT causes erections.

montypower

Adventure Time!
3.8L has plenty of power. Transmission does an exceptional job. It has no problem gaining speed on the steepest mountain passes. And can easily pass on 2 lane roads. I weigh in over 6,000lbs on trips. Running 34" tires with 4.90 gears. It will do over 20mpg on the road (almost hit 21mpg on the 1,800 mile trip last month). However, when these motors reach about 100k stuff starts getting worn. Mine is noticeably more responsive after rebuilding the top end (at just under 100k). Guides were definitely getting worn. Injectors were not flowing evenly. Oil in spark plug holes. After replacing everything (with factory parts) it runs like new. Mine gets easily 2-3mpg better than my brother's 03 and his has much less weight (original motor with 130k).

I just passed 109k this week. Added another 600 miles doing some paddle boarding, camping and biking. Hit 400 miles on this last tank with the paddle board strapped to the roof and a decent amount of off road (including towing a jeep 3-4 miles off a trail). My truck is only used for recreation. Nearly 20k miles added in just over a year.

Premium fuel only.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle