Thinking About A Jeep Commander Who Has One?

cbckidatheart

I have been researching vehicles heavily for about six months. I have considered everything in the U.S. Market. Land Cruisers are just crazy expensive where I live. People want 13k+ for vehicles with 250k plus miles. I need the third row of seats for family. I am strongly considering one of the V8 Commanders. Anyone have experience with these. How do they perform off road? Reliability? Looking for first hand experience of possible.

Thanks

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I've driven a few, albeit as rental cars. My recollections are as follows.

- Gutless with the V6.
- Cargo space is poor with the third row folded.
- Cargo space is non-existent with the third row deployed.
- Interior is a reminder of all that was wrong with Chrysler in the Daimler-Chrysler and Chrysler LLC days.

Dake21

Adventurer
Took one for drive, it was not really impressive and it had less practical cargo room than the 2007 Honda CRV I had back then. I'm not kidding, the CRV felt roomier. Third row seats are good for kids maybe, but if you use the 2nd row then it's impossible for them to access it and when folded up you have zero visibility.

Ryan Graham

I owned the AEV Iceland commander for about a year. I sold it but was so impressed with the drivetrain, I purchased an 05 grand Cherokee a couple months ago. The interiors are generic and plastic (the commander is nicer than the grand) but there is aftermarket support if you look. If you decide to get one, get the Hemi and the quadradrive 2 4wd system in the latest model year you can afford (09/10)

Mitch502

Explorer
There is a reason why Land Cruisers are expensive.

If I were going to be doing any form of off technical road and needed third row, I'd get a LC. If I were just going to go camping done and didn't want to spend a lot of money, a Durango maybe?

cbckidatheart

Thanks for the insight. I have test driven a few but that's it. The v6 isn't an option we tow too often and I haven't read one positive thing about that motor from anyone that wasn't a diehard jeep fanboy. I would be able to get by without using the third row at all for the next year but after that I will have to have one kid there with the other half folded down. Space wise for weekenders it would work but I'd have to use a trailer for longer excursions.

cbckidatheart

No doubt. And while I like the LC a lot it's pretty hard to swallow that I could get two commanders v8 hemi 100k miles park one and drive the other until it blew up then move to the next for less than a 100k mile LC.

paroxysym

Adventurer
do get a V8, don't be afraid to get a 4.7- they are pretty damn bulletproof. the aftermarket continues to grow on them and there are a few boards that do support the commander and there is a wealth of knowledge out there.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
If I were going to be doing any form of off technical road and needed third row, I'd get a LC. If I were just going to go camping done and didn't want to spend a lot of money, a Durango maybe?

Are you for real?

BenHedrick

Adventurer
I too agree that the Commanders would be a nice option for you. I hadn't owned one but I've driven a few V8 and V6's and I liked the. The roominess for me was great, no kids, but lots of dogs for me. I've actually (lately) contemplated building a overland version myself. I thought that ability to pull a nice camper or teardrop trailer would make a great camping/travel Jeep. Comfort on the road and decent offroad capable too. I've also of course considered the Grand Cherokee's too, but I know I'm weird but I dig the "boxey" squared lines of the Commander. The big/multiple sun roofs is a great perk too. Keep us posted if you build one. JP magazine had a REALLY cool gold/tan one in it within the last 3-4 months and it was a cool built Commander.

Ben

cbckidatheart

I have a Tahoe now. But it is the full-time family rig. I also like that the Commander has a rear locker, is shorter, narrower, narrower wheel base, and a tiny bit more ground clearance. How many miles on your Grands motor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179