37 on stock quigley

cjken

Explorer
They were pre-mounted. I assume by the military.
I got them from a guy who got a bunch of them at auction. They were all pre-mounted.
I've been running them in the high end pressure wise.
50psi is the max for 12-bolts
I think the 24-bolts can go higher for E rated tires.

cjken

Explorer
So the road noise of the military tires gets to me on long trips.
I've run them across country and on many smaller trips successfully, but it's time for a change. They are so heavy I actually had a hard time lifting the tire into the truck when I changed tire recently. (Maybe I'm just weak)
I'm gonna try something different
I could not find a more road orientated tire in a 16.5 so I am swapping hubs and going to try running a 17 in rim and some 35's

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443537089.526799.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443537025.647060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443537044.103739.jpg

Put the little stock tires on till the 35's come in.
Looks strange with the small tires!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443537173.519629.jpg

cjken

Explorer
If someone is interested I may have the dually hubs and 2.5 inch rear spacers available at some point.
Also 8 H1 rims and tires!
Don't think I can realistically ship any of it.
I should have the 35's by the end of the week.
If they work out I can't see keeping the 37's

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You have any need/interest in a set of 6 Cooper Discoverer ATIIIs? Mounted on dually rims at the moment. As I recall they're 235/85R16 with about 6k on them. It's the set the PO of my rig put on right before I bought it. I can't remember what all you have as far as ambos so I figured I'd toss it out there. I'm in Ohio btw. You can pm if interested and we can go from there. I'm fine with the road howl and could always use some more spare rubber. :)

cjken

Explorer
Thanks for the offer. I don't need those tires right now.
I would think someone would snatch those up quickly for a work truck or something.

I'll report in once I get the 35's on. It's really quiet in the tiny stock tires. The only racket I hear is from the 7.3 and some squeaks from where the cab and box meet.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Btw, you aren't weak. That tire/rim combo is pushing 200#. I just about blew a gasket trying to mount those things up till I got smart (wimped out) and used a tire lift to get them in place.

cjken

Explorer
Ill know more tomorrow. Tires should be mounted mid morning.

I had another quigley with 285's which were around 33 inches tall they were a fine size in an 5.4 regular length van with 3.73 gearing.
I think the 35's will work well with the 4.10 gearing.
It was mostly the weight of the 37's that worried me. I felt like they were abusing my front end slowly over time.

cjken

Explorer
I got the offset right this time. No rubbing at full lock to lock steering.
17x9 -12 offset
BFG AT KO2
35 12.5 R17

My last quigley rubbed with 285's I trusted the tire guy on that one, but they did not get it right.

I was s bit worried -12 would not be enough, but couldn't find a rim with much more neg offset that still had a good load rating.

It's only been a day, but the tire change was a win for the road noise issue and a huge improvement in the general feel of the van!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443747219.877765.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm glad to hear they are working out well. I'm sur you'll like those tires... Just be sure to avoid mud pits... :D

Abitibi

Explorer
Still looks very good, you'll forget about those 37's pretty quick! I sent you a Pm but ended up going a few pages back on your thread and found most of what I was looking for... But still curious, if you liked the look of your old ones did you consider lighter 37's on your new rims?

Cheers!
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman