1993 Hilux in Guyana

cozydog

Observer
Hey everybody,

I need just a little bit of help as I am looking to buy a vehicle in Guyana. I just moved down here for my wife's job but have also managed to find a job and that has allowed me to buy a nice 4x4 to explore the jungle with. i have found a really awesome 1993 toyota hilux 4 door-- 2.8l diesel, arb bumpers, warn winch, OME lift, auxiliary battery/fridge, light bar, and rear cage/roof rack-- that has been well taken care of by a german expat who has just upgraded to a 70 series.

My question is what do i need to find out the manufacture date? I would like to know because our contracts run until the end of 2017 and then we would drive around south america for a bit and then hopefully ship the truck back home--would be 25 years in 1993.

From what I've seen online it looks like it has to be 25 years to the month, is that correct?

Sorry I didn't have my phone with me to take any pictures of it when I looked at it last night but if i get it I will definitely post some up.

Thanks for the help

Fishpilot

Bad *** truck and adventure hombre! The requirements are on the US Department of State website and is an easy google search to find. I've always seen the 25 year limit and know a few people who had no problem importing a European vehicle after the paperwork was complied with. No idea on the specific Hilux question but most VINs have both a month and year digit buried somewhere in the sequence. Good luck.

cozydog

Observer
Yeah, I'm pretty excited. We are starting the quite tedious process of changing ownership down here and hopefully by the weekend can take if for a nice spin. Guyana only has a little over 200 miles of paved roads and is about the size of montana!

Ill keep trying to add pictures and more info on the truck. and like i said the plan is to use it to explore the region, Guyana/suriname/brazil, and then hopefully continue further into SA

cozydog

Observer
Yepp solid front axle.

Ikarus, what were you up to down here? any suggestions on places to go? I'm starting a list for once work slows down and I can get a few days off, or even just a weekend.

MamboSA

Observer
Check out the tag at the base of the seatbelt, you can usually find a date on the tag - will give you a pretty good idea of manufacture date..
Awesome truck by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cozydog

Observer
American yes, but currently in Guyana. The rest of you (americans) can be jealous in a few years if I can swing driving her back up.

Finalizing all the paperwork this week--as long as developing world bureaucracies don't get in the way. Once its parked in my yard I'll do a more in depth post with pictures and plans!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I have a 94 Hilux (US spec) and the manufacture date is on the door frame tag inside the driver door. Same tag has all of the info on weight (f/r, total), tire size, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle