Xterra Rear bumper build with tire carrier (WTD)

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
One of our latest builds is this Nisan Xterra bumper build. This will be a tube rear bumper with a swing out spare tire mount. We are also doing a accessory rack which will hold a cooler. This particular Xterra has a 2" body lift but in the future we will be able to build the rear bumpers them with or without the body lift.
we will add more pics as this build goes on.
Love to hear what you guys think.

richard310

pew pew
Any option for rear Jerry can mounts? Something to consider as well in your design perhaps.

Looks like a solid bumper and carrier. Loving the SCCX sticker as well.

dixie1865

Observer
I think it looks really good. After I looked at for a bit, I think I would have put the hinge for the tire carrier on the passenger side so if you are pulled of the side of a road, you are not opening the carrier into traffic. Just a thought.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
dixie1865- that's very observant and a thoughtful suggestion. I'll offer a counterpoint, however.

I have a right-hinged tire carrier on my SUV, and I sometimes wish I'd had a left-hinged carrier - or better yet, a dual-swingout carrier. The reason that I think that a left-hinged carrier is better at times is that if I am parallel-parked and I need to load things into the rear hatch, the tire carrier creates an obstacle. My carrier does not swing out more than about 100°, so when it's fully open, it wouldn't really protrude into traffic lanes had it been mounted on the left.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
I think it looks really good. After I looked at for a bit, I think I would have put the hinge for the tire carrier on the passenger side so if you are pulled of the side of a road, you are not opening the carrier into traffic. Just a thought.

Thanks guys for the input. You have the option to run the tire carrier on either side. The tire swing only goes out about 110 degrees from the rear bumper to also keep the tire from swinging into the body. Here is what the finished rear bumper looks like:

From this point you can add the rear tire swing mount to either side. This tire swing will also have an accessory rack for a cooler.

We can custom build you accessory racks for gas can or?

We will be sure to update you more on this build.

MERRY CHRISTMAS......

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Does this replace the stock bumper? It looks like the stock "cheeks" are behind it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Does this replace the stock bumper? It looks like the stock "cheeks" are behind it?

Not to sure what the cheeks are? This bumper replaces the middle bumper section and bolts to the factory frame mounts. The corners are the stock plastic pieces.
I will get you a pic looking down at it.

Kjswa

Any chance you are in the SOCAL area, if so are you going to be selling these to the public? If it's got a 2" hitch reciever, hi-lift jack and Jerry can mounts I'd be very interested.

jhberria

Adventurer
Interesting, you don't see too many tube-style rear bumpers for the 2nd gen Xterra. Looks like you could even crop the rear corners to blend the lines flush with the bumper, improving departure angles a bit. Not that it would be necessary for most of us....but seems doable.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Any chance you are in the SOCAL area, if so are you going to be selling these to the public? If it's got a 2" hitch reciever, hi-lift jack and Jerry can mounts I'd be very interested.

We are in San Diego. They will def be available to the public at our shop or we can ship them to you. This is the first one so there will be some bugs to work out. I will be sure to add more pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle