Alaskan Camper Build Up

Conagher

Hello Ozymandias,
Do you have a build thread for your camper? I would like to see more. Regardless, nice truck/camper set up.
Conagher

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Hello Ozymandias,
Do you have a build thread for your camper? I would like to see more. Regardless, nice truck/camper set up.
Conagher

Ditto~! I also would like to see more on Ozymandias's truck/camper~! Looks and sounds like a lot of work devoted to your vehicle and I'm sure more of us are more than curious to learn about it.
Kind regards

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Ditto~! I also would like to see more on Ozymandias's truck/camper~! Looks and sounds like a lot of work devoted to your vehicle and I'm sure more of us are more than curious to learn about it.
Kind regards

x3! Looks like a great rig, would be great to know more about it.

Ozymandias

Observer
Thanks to all, I'll see what I can do.
Right now I'm on to build a new Camper on the same chassis, this aluminium and stainless steel cab is to heavy for what I drive, new one is composite from a german company called Ormocar.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Carl

I read through all the thread, you really have an amazing truck built up.
I just want to tell you 2 or 3 things from european sight, i'm from switzerland.

Heating and Cooking; My Rig runs completely on Diesel, i have a Wallas Stove in it, it runs since ten years flawlessly even in 9000ft altitude, also i have an ESPAR D4 Plus Airheater that also runs since many many years -both of these units are profen to be good if the installer watches for some points not to make a mistake. Nowadays wallas sells a oven too. Sure all this apliances are expensive but they are 100% safe, dont need air to burn from the inside of the cabin and i dont need to carry other fuels then for the engine.

Tires, Michelin sells the 275/80-20 XZL for sure, a lot of vehicles use them, mainly military ones - maybe not in the US but with strong searching there should be some sources that can deliver them to you. They last around 50-60'000 Miles.
On the other Hand, have you ever thought about to retread your worn MPTs? It could be a good solution for tours that dont have a lot of heavy offroad, could save you a lot of money.

Shocks, for Trucks like ours that are far out of the common specs dont even think about generic shocks, they will never ever do what is possible to do on your rig.
When my truck was set up i did the same mistake, installed bilsteins and it was an epic downfall, the truck wasnt to handle on road except on freeways.
I went with King Shocks, customvalved to my truck, my weight, my tires and my driving style - now it handles like a VW Jetta under any circumstances, no matter if tarmac or wash board or rock climbing.
Bought them from downsouthmotorsports in San Diego - this guy did really a great job!

Last but not least - you have a big Camper, small is mine. :victory:

View attachment 322544

Best regards
Ozymandias

Hello Ozymandias,

You have caused quite the stir on the Expedition Portal with the picture of your camper. Looks like great work and I would like to hear more about it and the one you are planning as well. I looked closely at diesel heat and cooking, but decided in the end to go back to propane mainly as an initial cost saving and no one at the time was willing to put an oven in a camper. Glad to hear that they are now, because it really expands your cooking ability. ON the other hand, the PlatCat is working great, and propane appliances are working great and the instant heat is nice.

BTW, I thought that was an amateur radio antenna until I looked really close at the picture and realized in was a pole in the background!

I will look again for the 275/80-20 XZL tires and hope for the best again. The MPT's are great tires, just a soft compound. No other 20" tire seems to have the load capacity in this country. I briefly considered retreading, but with the failure rate and the lack of companies to do it, I gave up on that proposition. I had heard the same about the shocks and appreciate the opinion, when I go to re-shock in the next year or two I will be having a set made up by King.

My most recent issue has been wheels, the set of five that I had made now has a 60% failure rate in the welds where they were put together. I gave up on trying to get customer service from the company last year after they took ten months and literally dozens of phone calls and emails to get the one back from repair. I ended up having to purchase a fifth wheel last year from 1st Attack to use as a spare, though it is a slightly wider wheel. After the last weld failure, I am now using that as one of my drive wheels and have ordered a complete set of them from 1st Attack. $2000 plus learning mistake once again... Until the wheels are built I have no spare and having to cough up thousands of dollars on something that should have outlasted the truck.

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
Have you considered the Goodyear g275MSA? The name is deceiving, it's a 335/80r20 like the contis. Higher speed rating, harder compound. Not quite as good offroad, but I have contis on my mog and goodyears on my 550 and the goodyears, despite limited miles in this assessment, just seem like a tougher compound in the thread and the reports I've read have them lasting substantially longer. My contis Mark the driveway and the goodyears don't, for what that's worth. The goodyears are also substantially more quiet than the contis at freeway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf

They can be really hard to find and seemingly erratically available. You might want to reach out to jeep (flatbed and composite panel build thread dodge 2500). I think the guy at stazworks was also able to get them at one point, so he could be an avenue. I couldn't find much info either, other than a few scattered positive reviews. I had a lot of issues with uneven and quick wear on my continentals. I only have 1k miles on the goodyears, so it doesnt mean that much, but they still look brand new and the compound seems much harder.

Carlyle

Explorer
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf

They can be really hard to find and seemingly erratically available. You might want to reach out to jeep (flatbed and composite panel build thread dodge 2500). I think the guy at stazworks was also able to get them at one point, so he could be an avenue. I couldn't find much info either, other than a few scattered positive reviews. I had a lot of issues with uneven and quick wear on my continentals. I only have 1k miles on the goodyears, so it doesnt mean that much, but they still look brand new and the compound seems much harder.

Thanks for the advice!

I was at my local shop getting a fuel filter and front end lubrication on my truck and started thinking more about the Goodyear g275MSA tires

I crawled under the truck and did some measuring, with the wider rims I will be able to squeeze the 41" tires under my truck. Looks like Stazworks can get them when I go to switch, it may require some trimming again though.

Ozymandias

Observer
Instead of to much Trimming you maybe consider a bodylift of 1-2", i did that too and only need the pucks and longer screws with 1".

Ozy

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
King 2.5's are the way to go with a Dodge. Don Thuren offers a package deal on them and valved to your specs.

S2DM

Adventurer
The listed specs on the goodyears are a 41.6 diameter, but even at full inflation, I only measure 40.4". I was able to get them in on my f550 with no lift, though I did have to get creative with my front sway bar (I managed to replace my 2016 sway bar with a 2015 f350 sway bar from hellwig that allows full turning radius) and had to do a fair bit of cutting.

Carlyle

Explorer
King 2.5's are the way to go with a Dodge. Don Thuren offers a package deal on them and valved to your specs.

I've heard the same and appreciate the opinion of someone who is using them. What did you pay for the set btw? How are they off and on road versus stock shocks?

Carlyle

Explorer
The listed specs on the goodyears are a 41.6 diameter, but even at full inflation, I only measure 40.4". I was able to get them in on my f550 with no lift, though I did have to get creative with my front sway bar (I managed to replace my 2016 sway bar with a 2015 f350 sway bar from hellwig that allows full turning radius) and had to do a fair bit of cutting.

Nice to hear I won't have to do any more chopping when I go to change tires again later this year.

*TRD*

Observer
Wow, this is an awesome build!

You definitely want pre-tuned 2.5" shock but may want to consider all your options.
In my experience Fox builds a more durable shock than King, and has greater parts available, making them my preference for long distance driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78