Built to purpose or purpose to build?

drewactual

Adventurer
so this may not be the right place for a thread I'm suggesting, but it seems to me in my short stint here that the full size crew are pretty tight- and since i run a full size too, it makes some sense...

anyway...

this is about modding trucks to better serve our interests... I tell folks all the time, that when it comes time to purchase a rig that brand loyalty is for fools. the trick is to identify your purpose and purchase what is closer to your needs- and THEN apply whatever after-market magic you need to achieve that goal... In this line of reason, it's an assumed assumption (redundant much?) that OE rigs are made to serve a wide purpose, but some models/brands lean one way more so than others... It's apparent in engine:gear ratio's, suspension set ups, steering configurations, interior creature comforts, ect... so.. we buy what is closest to what we need in a perfect world.

the world ain't perfect... so we buy what we can afford most often, and we start adding mods to support our activities- and hopefully the list of mods are complimentary to each other- I find it humorous on a grand scale when folks start tossing 'cool' parts at a rig without considering what else they're impacting, and especially when the mod's are all for show and have limited function. Many lifts fall in this category. leveling kits certainly do... Huge tires that defy center of gravity logic.. huge body lifts and even some suspension lifts that maintain pretty much the same ground clearance (pumpkin to terra)... there are some really sexy things to do to rigs that put you back several steps and you don't even know it. Until you do... and then you have to mod to support the mod. this is where the madness sets in, and I'm pretty sure every single one of us have suffered from this at least once...

anyway...

If you gents would like to play along with my intent, here, it starts with a simple question:

** Why do you build? Is it for a distinct purpose and terrain, or is it for allowing a wider range of purpose? **

this is not a trick question, but it is a little tricky.

here are some more, just to gain a better perspective of what I'm trying (miserably) to communicate:

** what mods have you determined required for your rig? **
** what supporting mods have you performed? (i.e. larger tires: R&P's to support it and maintain the curve in usable area) **
** where have you went wrong and modded, and then had to address a surfacing issue? (i.e. new camshaft to lower/raise torque curve: torque converter to make better use of new curve placement afterthought) **

and the ten dollar question here-

*** Have you carefully considered the direction you are headed with your rig before you set out modding, or does a mod occur to you and you go for it? ***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I chose a ford super duty because it was priced right, owned previously by a maintenance freak friend, and was the truck I would have purchased if funding wasn't a concern- it's mostly a road pig, and hauls all I need to and from places I need to go, and in comfort when I'm behind that wheel for 20+ hours a spell... the mods I've done don't exactly support this for the greater part with a lift and larger tires, but it doesn't hamper it either except in terms of mileage.

** what mods have you determined required for your rig? ** I needed more range, so a fuel cell was in order
** what supporting mods have you performed? (i.e. larger tires: R&P's to support it and maintain the curve in usable area) ** traction bars complimented my lift, disallowing axle wrap cold but also limiting articulation to some degree at the same time- I knew this going into it.
** where have you went wrong and modded, and then had to address a surfacing issue? (i.e. new camshaft to lower/raise torque curve: torque converter to make better use of new curve placement afterthought) ** I tuned the truck and altered the fuel trim tables significantly enough to require a better, more volume of fuel providing 'lift' pump; and another, I went with larger/wider tires, and promptly required fender flares due not only to rocks chunking but also due to one particular officer of the peace (on a base I work on) who dislikes trucks with tires extending more than two inches out of the well- mine extended 1.75" for the record, but it wasn't stock and caught his attention...

** Why do you build? Is it for a distinct purpose and terrain, or is it for allowing a wider range of purpose? ** I build mostly because I'm bored and need a stress relieving outlet, but I try to keep everything in perspective and not hamper intended purpose

*** Have you carefully considered the direction you are headed with your rig before you set out modding, or does a mod occur to you and you go for it? *** I did consider every thing I could before I set out from a stock rig- there are a few things I would have done differently now that I've had experience with the mod's, but it wasn't haphazardly done... now there are some things that were impulsive but I pulled the trigger on because it didn't impact purpose, but they are, fortunately, few..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm more interested in hearing what y'all have to say than I am in talking about my rig... and learning about your mistakes as much as your home runs... that's the value of a community like this, no?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I will respond even though the topic has been beat to death. Upgrades are typically based on a certain need that usually arises while you are out and about after you have already purchased a vehicle, but may add to future knowledge when purchasing another vehicle, it's all common sense really.

drewactual

Adventurer
oh thank you wise and great one for your generous response in light of my ignorance...

another internet tough guy pissing on his territory... and always ushering the death of otherwise fine concepts of forums.

drew out.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Yeah, not everyone spends all day everyday on the forums racking up thousands of posts and knows the post history and frequency of topics.

I'll talk about my Explorer since it has the most done to it:
I originally bought it as a daily driver and a tow vehicle for a popup camper. It handled those duties and I saw weaknesses along the way that I upgraded (regeared, add-a-leaf, etc....). My build thread on Explorerforum even says early on that I wasn't planning on anything major. But we found ourselves using the popup less and less and I went 4wheeling with some friends and was hooked. All the following mods were done over a period of years where the idea of "overlanding" came in later. So no, I didn't consider the direction of my build prior.

A mod that I did that I regret? The body lift. While I only did a 2" body lift, all my bumpers and sliders were then built to that height so I can't go back. I did the body lift to help clear larger tires. At this point, I'd love to have those 2" back since the SAS.

A mod that support another mod? The gears. Normally people get bigger tires then get bigger gears. I initially got the gears to help with towing. But it turns out that they are the perfect gears for the tires I ended up upgrading to.

Why do I build? Mostly for reliability. While I have a long list of custom work done to my rig, I tried to address weak points: IFS to SAS to get a stronger front axle, and Truetracs so I don't need excessive wheel spin to get through things.

Is my rig built for a specific purpose or terrain? No. I like to think that it could handle nearly any kind of terrain I'd find myself in. I don't want to have to turn around- "out" could be a much shorter trip than back the way I came.

My Expedition is my daily driver and light duty family camping rig. Mods will be kept simple to keep it civil on the highways.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am in the midst of this as we speak. I love to build vehicles. Time in the shop is one of the ways I escape the "real" world. I have been a lifelong (well growed up life anyway) Jeep guy. I have been doing this long enough to remember when 31's were big *** tires. I have had and modified several over the years. I have done the whole rock crawling thing. I currently own and have modded to suit my needs, one of the true jeep unicorns... a 2005 Rubicon unlimited. This was my dream jeep. I still love it really, but I have found over the last several years that it is the time camping, exploring and with friends and family that really drive me.

So we went out and bought a Suburban. My first Chevy. My first 350. Circumstances were right, bought from a trusted friend, right drivetrain, right style, right item to drive my desire to have something just a bit different. So off we go on yet another build... this time a 1991 Suburban V2500. Boy, there is a lot to learn. This rig will be my DD, camping, long trip and work around the farm vehicle... as well as it has to be sufficiently capable to ride trails... let's say level 3 of 5 or level 6-7 of 10.

So... Here we go with what I have done so far...
- Tune up
- ORD Steering box brace
-Skyjacker steering stabilizer
- door seals (just the barn doors so far)
-LED lighting throughout the interior and added a few...
-Old school Warn winch bumper that I got with the deal

Plans... along with the reasons...
-0-2"lift... springs need to be replaced, so.... On road ride probably most important here. I am already impressed with the flex these rigs show all stock.
-Bilsteins all around... on road ride so important on this one
-Skid plates? Hard to find aftermarket examples, so I may work on fabbing up some of my own...
- Interior storage - some type of platform inside that I can store things under and sleep on top when camping alone or with one other
-Rear locker - Hoping for the Detroit, but may wind up with Lock Right
- Spare tire rack. I have some options laying around that I may be able to modify to work
-Exhaust - free flowing of some type... more research to be done. Primary goal is to increase longevity and MPG if possible
-Wiring for my fridge
-Winch
-Rear recovery points
- Upgrade steering shaft
- Repair audio

I do not think I will be going up in tire size. Primary reason is that the vehicle is just darn happy on the 32" stock tire size.. and I do not think the 33's I would be willing to go up to would make that much of a difference.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
After over-building a Jeep and not being happy with the results I decided the next truck was going to be close to stock and 'living room comfortable' for those occasional 12-14 hour banzai runs to make up the travel schedule.

I picked a platform that could take 35" tires with little if any modifications and had a decent tow rating so that it could do more than just backwoods banging around.

** Why do you build? Is it for a distinct purpose and terrain, or is it for allowing a wider range of purpose? **

Tuning the platform for intended purpose. Roles my truck has to perform include long distance highway cruising, RV towing, race car towing, washed out logging roads, maybe some more difficult off-road if it meant the difference between turning around or continuing and wasn't super extreme.

** what mods have you determined required for your rig? **

Ground clearance without ruining aero too much. Tires, wheels with correct offset, re-gearing, preventative maintenance and ICE/NAV/Comms upgrades and modernization.

** what supporting mods have you performed? (i.e. larger tires: R&P's to support it and maintain the curve in usable area) **

2" spacer lift in the back, fresh coils - have since found a manufacturer that makes custom length coils for my platform. ICE/NAV/Comms is the next project. Gearing will come as part of baselining and preventative maintenance.

** where have you went wrong and modded, and then had to address a surfacing issue? (i.e. new camshaft to lower/raise torque curve: torque converter to make better use of new curve placement afterthought) **

With my Jeep the biggest problem was over building the suspension. It has long arms and the hard joints don't help ride quality. The other thing I wish I didn't do is flip the tie rods on the WJ knuckle swap. I worry about the welds in a harsh, salt environment some times. Any truck I build in the future will not have any welded spindle parts in tension/shear.

The full floating rear axle kit and selectable hubs from the aftermarket was a waste of time in retrospect. Just changes the failure mode when it happens.

The big issue with modified trucks is the problems with getting spares to replace broken parts when outside of urban areas and/or when stranded on the side of the road. BT/dt and any future truck that actually goes places will not have custom parts in the drivetrain.

I'm a believer in leaving the engine/transmission stock other than bolt ons like headers, air intake, etc. Opening the engine and transmission for more than a factory rebuild is asking for trouble IMO.

My Jeep is ~1100lbs heavier than stock before payload now that it is built. With four people, gear and a ~4000lb trailer in tow it struggles up grades and at altitude. Picked the wrong platform for what I need/wanted but at the time it was the right vehicle. Requirements change.

I was tempted to build a stroker engine and on paper it sounded like it could have helped but between the time and effort to get it right (i.e. factory reliability) and the unknowns that come with that it was easier to change platforms (guaranteed success).

tremec

These are my findings

Hiya kids. Ok gang, so for anyone paying attention, this is my very first post... EVER, anywhere. Now for starters, I decided on a Ford super duty F-350. Its got four wheel drive and an 8 foot bed, four doors and a diesel motor. I wanted my first truck and very first shiny new car to last as long as i can keep it running. I have wanted a pick up and four wheel drive for many years, but alas, kids, im frickin poor. But then, kids, after years of hard work, saving muh pennies and a really stupid drug addict that wanted to steal my dd and accidently slit his wrist on the steering column while attempting to hotwire it ( keys were in the ashtray even though another car was parked behind it while it was facing a wall, and he broke a window to get in , it was unlocked ) gettin all his nasty ***blood all over the interior and dying n stuff, i decided, yip, im-a-buyin a new truck. I wanted to go camping with it and wanted to have the option of towing a fifth-wheel, a travel trailer or putting a truck camper in it. Yeah, mmmm..uh..so, I optioned for plan D, a truck cap. I camp, put my fatbikes my kayak and other gear in the bed and its all hidden and safe. I keep the cab free for friends and their gear. Ive slept in the bed with a cot and drove deep, deep in the woods. Found out that the original tires reeeeaaaaaaly dont like to drive on much other than very dry, clean, warm, pavement. So then, kids, what did I do , yip I went and bought bettah tires!! Yaaaaay!!! I went with goodyear kevlars. And wow, what a difference, love em. I now get this thing currently called, traction. I like it. Its handy. They are 33 inches tall. With all the places i drive my truck now, well... I get stuck sometimes, so kids, what will I do next? Yip, I want to get a winch, for self recovery. That way I don't have to call those crotchety tow trucks and listen to the drivers cooooooomplaaaaaain aaaaaaalll the time. So many mean questions that just get repeated over and over. I also want taller tires for all the washout roads and trees i drive over while exploring. (trees are already down ,Im not driving up or along treetops or in the trees... goofy kids) I want to build a truck like a poor, really poor, earthroamer. I will put a quality lift( any suggestions will be greatly appreciated here, thinking icon, or along those lines.) lockers, taller tires up to 41 but no more than that. In my exploring travels I have encountered wildlife that may have become a very dangerous encounter. So a quality bumper for truck front end protection and durability off road will be another purchase kids. looking at a road armor full cage kind. Ever since I was a wee lil one I have dreamed of building this kind of vehicle.I don't know if this answers your questions.. but I hope so , ok kids take care.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I build to what I want. For my type of driving, 33" tires are fine. We have no huge rock crawling to do etc. So 33" with a mild lift is all that is needed here. You do NEED that to explore a lot of the back country. I had a 2004 F150 with stock tires, no lift and we were hitting the cross member of the front suspension ALOT. My previous truck was a Dakota 4x4 V8 with torsions cranked, a small block in the rear and 33". Never hit anything ever. My current rigs are all running 33's. My suburban z71, my F150 supercrew and my JK unlimited all sit on 285's/33s. It makes them perfect for hunting, back country exploring with minimal mods to the suspension. Yes I could run the tires stock on the F150, and JK, but I do like a little up travel between the fenders and tires so I stick to 2" or so of suspension lift. Better shocks are a must for control. I run airbags an timbrens on the vehicles to carry extra load of an ATV, or full camping gear or even our trailers. I also have timbrens up front on the suburban to take the plow. I will be installing winches on all three this spring. Not for mud recovery but ditch extraction and object removal from trails. I run stock bumpers on all as I see no need to weigh down my rigs with heavy bumpers. I also upgrade the lighting because of where I live. Moose are frequent, and fog/snow/sleet/rain is common. Interior mods are to make life better on the road, nice comfy seat covers with heat option are a must for my back. A coleman power cooler keeps the grub chilled for dinner!

The rest is maintanence to keep em running.

schmugboy

Observer
I always refer to the old adage "a fool and his money are soon parted". I've been a fool a few times. But what I've found to be universal both from reading on this forum and doing it in real life is to understand why you are going to modify a generally perfectly good and reliable vehicle. I started out with my wrangler following the rock-crawling crowd, then realizing I wanted to enjoy the scenery more and fix broken parts less. So now that I'm to begin a build on my Full-size truck a moderate lift with slightly bigger tires (33" as mentioned) seem to be the sweet spot for most overlanding. Then some totally unnecessary glitter items will be added. The real decision I've found is whether you plan to go it alone or in a group. If you go it alone most of the time, then you and your vehicle need to be prepared to get you out of any situation.
This will be an interested thread to revisit.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
yep. the crawling crowd I never understand. spend all day, bouncing around the same scenery all day and going like 30 miles on a full tank of gas.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Sadly, I'm a builder more than a user, my whole life. I've gone through several import sports cars, and just the last few years got into trucks/offroad/camping. To date, I've spent well over 100k on parts alone for the various vehicles I've built. I build them, and don't use them much, then move on. Weird unfortunate cycle, which by this point I should be getting paid to do (or at least a smarter person would be, I'm quite good at it). So in comes the Suburban. I bought it to have a back up to my Evo at the time. I'm one of those guys who always wants the 'biggest and best' of anything I buy, and if I settle it eats at me until I'm just not happy with my decision. Anyway, I bought an '03 low mileage, LT, 8.1, perfect runner blah blah blah and just had it for several years. After I got done with the car thing and it was starting to look like the 'burb was gonna get some lovin' I actually sat down and decided I needed to actually PLAN OUT the mods on it so it didn't become another money pit...so it's been slow. Four years, just a lift and tires and tune. But it actually gets used. Finally.

So that is now my new build method. I'll drive it as is until I can't get where I'm trying to go, then I'll figure out why and what would most efficiently have gotten me there, then mod to fit. For example, last weekend I hit the mountains to go shooting with some novice friends of mine, and I got stuck. Twice. I brought a shovel banking on there being snow and my 8klb suburban not getting along with it. I was right. Dug and got tugged out, realizing that had there not been other vehicles there I would have been digging for a looooong time, but all I needed was a winch and I would have been find. Maybe lockers. So now that's the next on the list.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
oh thank you wise and great one for your generous response in light of my ignorance...

another internet tough guy pissing on his territory... and always ushering the death of otherwise fine concepts of forums.

drew out.

FWIW, I think you misunderstood him a bit. And to answer your question. Both, most people have to admit they don't need 99% percent of the doodad junk mounted on the vehicles. A good pair of boots is the most important thing IMO.

schmugboy

Observer
FWIW, I think you misunderstood him a bit. And to answer your question. Both, most people have to admit they don't need 99% percent of the doodad junk mounted on the vehicles. A good pair of boots is the most important thing IMO.

So true, especially considering how most of the National Forests are getting locked down for true off-road travel. Boots and a good strong legs will be needed in this era of preservation over conservation of our natural resources. My only concern is as I get older with more time to see the scenery, my legs become my weak point.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Get your knee replacement surgeries early, when healing up is easy.

Only half kidding. Got screws and a cadaver ACL in one of mine. And a plate and 14 pins and screws in the ankle and fibula of the other leg. 51 and already feeling every step. I'm building to purpose AND reliability, cause I'm not hiking out of anywhere.

darkjedi351

Observer
I completely understand, my hiking days are over with 2 herniated discs in my neck and one in my low back. I've been waiting for surgery for 2 years now while doing epidurals and all other fun forms of torture I mean diagnosis. :violent-smiley-031:

I'm building my rig to get me in and out as comfortable as possible at whatever speed I deem necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater