1980 Toyota Hilux Longbed 4x4

mig79

They look awesome on there! Are you going to run power to them? Wonder if an FJ mirror switch would mark it easy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks man! I'm debating on whether or not to run power for the lights. As of now, the harness is just tucked into the bracket, no power. The option is there in the future though to hook them to the parking lights. There are some extra wires in there too...are the mirrors heated?

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
It's time to seriously start shopping for a new motor. This truck is my daily driver, and original 36yr old carbureted motor runs great after it's all warmed up, but takes several minutes to idle on its own when the outside temperature drops. I'm not interested in rebuilding it, and have been looking my options over for many months. I initially was dead set on a TDI diesel swap using Acme Adapters, but after several conversations with them, I've determined that swap is way over my head. I'm now looking at Toyota motor options anywhere from a Tundra V8, Toyota diesel, 22RE, etc. Anybody have some ideas on a relatively simple motor swap for somebody who has never done one before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The easiest engine swap would be a 22re. It will bolt up to your tranny and motor mounts. Even Easyer if you can fine complete donor truck. If you go with 22re get the 89-95 year.

Oh, 3RZ all the way. Almost double the horsepower of a 22RE so a way better choice. You can buy bolt in conversion motor mounts and there are guys out there who sell plug-n-play harnesses too.

I have lots of hours into my 3RZ swap, but you could do it down and dirty a lot faster. I figure $5K to $6K for a turn-key swap, if you're going to pay to have a shop do it.

I'd be happy to do it for you!!!

bkg

Explorer
Oh, 3RZ all the way. Almost double the horsepower of a 22RE so a way better choice. You can buy bolt in conversion motor mounts and there are guys out there who sell plug-n-play harnesses too.

I have lots of hours into my 3RZ swap, but you could do it down and dirty a lot faster. I figure $5K to $6K for a turn-key swap, if you're going to pay to have a shop do it.

I'd be happy to do it for you!!!

isn't the 3rz 150hp? vs. 118hp of late 22re? (sorry - math minor and OCD kicking in) :D

OK, not double, but I've seen 3RZ numbers in the 165 - 170 ballpark compared to the 105 of a 22RE, and compared to the 85 of a 22R, that's double right there. A tired 22RE will dyno at 85 hp. I can pull 5th gear on a grade at 80 mph on 35's in my '83 with a 3RZ, no problem.

But the major point is that the 3RZ nearly bolts in.

A Toyota V8 aint gonna bolt in and there will be plenty of cutting.

bkg

Explorer
OK, not double, but I've seen 3RZ numbers in the 165 - 170 ballpark compared to the 105 of a 22RE, and compared to the 85 of a 22R, that's double right there. A tired 22RE will dyno at 85 hp. I can pull 5th gear on a grade at 80 mph on 35's in my '83 with a 3RZ, no problem.

But the major point is that the 3RZ nearly bolts in.

A Toyota V8 aint gonna bolt in and there will be plenty of cutting.

Agreed... If I ever get around to doing anything with my 87, it'll get a 3rz for those same reasons.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I'll see what's out there for 3rz motors in my area. Is the 7mgte out of a supra? Think I search those awhile back for a couple of weeks and couldn't find anything local.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to push my own content, but if you want to see a comprehensive 3RZ swap, go and check out the build thread on my '83. I retained the cruise control, the A/C, upgraded to the modern Tacoma electronics, kept it emissions compliant, even used the Tacoma brakes (including master and booster). http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Hilux-3RZ-build-thread-Stoffregen-Motorsports

Buying a 3RZ motor will get you started, but if you want all the parts in one pile before you start the project, buy a complete donor truck. It will save you time and money in the long run.

D

Deleted member 9101

Small block Chevy. Same cost as other swaps + much cheaper parts and the motor will never strain.

That's a good argument, the SBC being a cheap swap, but the weight...

If you're going that route, LS swap. Either 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor. $1300 to $1700 from Pacific Fab (Tilden Motorsports), 280-325 HP, tons and tons of aftermarket parts, smog legal. Lots of good reasons to swap in a Vortec LS.

But then the cutting is huge. If you want to have A/C, you'll have to make room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman