Ford 7.3L Diesel Question

snowaddict91

Adventurer
I would tell the dealer to start with the cps. They can do all sorts of weird **** when they are bad. Fairly cheap and easy peasy to swap out.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't think this is what you are seeing, but the fuel warmer for the fuel filter is a notorious problem on the 7.3PSD... but usually they short and blow the fuse = no start. Since the fuel filter sits on top of the motor the block heater keeps everything warm enough for the fuel heater to not kick on. Our shop F-250 with a 7.3PSD has over 400k on it and still runs great (here in NC we just have the fuel warmer unplugged, and will fix it next time we have to do a fuel filter change)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Pete, ask for the codes so we can find out what's going on and offer sound advice.

It does sound like a glow plug problem. Ford would have installed new plugs but the dealer may have installed them using the original harness. The harnesses are prone to getting brittle and the wires cracking, ask if they installed two new harnesses when they installed the rebuilt engine. If not have them test both harnesses or replace both harnesses. Many people replace the harnesses when they put new glow plugs in to avoid this problem.

It doesn't sound like a Cam Position Sensor, they just fail and the engine dies. They are very easy to replace and inexpensive too, easier to replace than test. Once you get the vehicle going carry a spare in your glove compartment.

Last edited:

Vandy

Adventurer
If the fuel bowl heater fuse blows, you won't get a wait to start light. Check fuse 22 under the hood

I'd go after the gpr and glow plugs

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Sounds to me that the Crankcase Position Sensor is bad. I'll also second that the potentiometer on the throttle pedal might be bad too, this is a drive by wire system as previously mentioned.

Drive by wire on a 1995 7.3 ?
I don't think so..

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'll need to see proof of your claim, please.
Throttle by wire
OR
Drive by wire?
Because there is a significant difference.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Despite my efforts to prove you right, I keep coming across this.
New International Navistar 453694C3 Accelerator Cable $38.50
OFhwi11.jpg

Vandy

Adventurer
He probably means throttle by wire. There is no mechanical linkage on the 7.3 throttle

I can take pics if needed

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If there is a IDM I would examine it, they are known to get water in them and cause weird problems.

Need those codes but yes, easy to ck the IDM for water. take it out and shake. 7.3s can be tough to diagnose sometimes!

arveetek

Adventurer
Drive by wire on a 1995 7.3 ?
I don't think so..

Yes, all 7.3L Powerstroke diesels were completely computer controlled with no accelerator cables. This engine debuted midway through the 1994 model year as a drive-by-wire system, meaning there is no accelerator cable and no mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine. I had to replace the electronic accelerator pedal on my 1995 7.3L diesel myself.

The older 7.3L IDI diesels used an accelerator cable and MFI.

I'm not sure what the parts listing you've provided indicates, other than the fact that Navistar makes accelerator cables. Navistar made lots of engines, not only the 7.3L Powerstroke. Those accelerator cables must be for a different engine.

Just for giggles, here's a breakdown for when drive-by-wire was introduced in the Big Three's diesels

GM - 1994 on the 6.5L turbodiesel
FORD - 1994.5 on the 7.3L Powerstroke
DODGE - 1998.5 on the 5.9L Cummins

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle