2006 Expedition Expedition. My truck as 'expedition' written all over it

kylevd23

Observer
Nice Build thread!, enjoyed the read, funny part was when you gave the nittos to the "ex". Still see a little love in there haha.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I dunno if it's "love" - but she's 'good people' - just not good with me. I reccommend people date her.

Plus...our daughter is getting to be driving age - said Mom's truck was a little feminine with the other tires (stock-size). :)

ukrboy

Observer
Thank you! The bumper seems fine. Although I wouldn't waste money on having them coat/paint it; just falls off with the slightest touch. A couple good cans of undercoating and i'm set.

Updated pics in first post.
Nice. I'm trying to find anything for my first gen Expy. Not many options out there.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I REALLY like the look of that bumper on your Expedition, its design and angles seem to fit and look really nice (from the front angles, the fitment to the wheel well leaves something to be desired). As does the look and stance of your overall vehicle.

I went looking at TAG's site and their offering for 2000 series GM trucks / SUVs looks a good bit different, more like a dozer blade. I'm looking for something for my '02 Suburban that looks much like yours. I might wind up doing some 'cardboard aided design', since I can't seem to find anything I like.

ukrboy

Observer
Most that fit f150s of the same year should fit yours, no? Did you look at tacticalarmorgroup.com ?
It will fit. It's just there are not many options for that platform. I did look on their website but I also read a bunch of reviews about them.

DetroitDarin

I REALLY like the look of that bumper on your Expedition, its design and angles seem to fit and look really nice (from the front angles, the fitment to the wheel well leaves something to be desired). As does the look and stance of your overall vehicle.

I went looking at TAG's site and their offering for 2000 series GM trucks / SUVs looks a good bit different, more like a dozer blade. I'm looking for something for my '02 Suburban that looks much like yours. I might wind up doing some 'cardboard aided design', since I can't seem to find anything I like.

That's a good plan; with welding brackets can be made that'd make just about any bumper fit! and thank you!

It will fit. It's just there are not many options for that platform. I did look on their website but I also read a bunch of reviews about them.

Yup. I read the reviews AFTER my purchase. Doh. Having said that, my experience went well.

DetroitDarin

ARB 33000lbs Snatch-strap. It's $100; but I'd bet my life on it working right, every time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1QB32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's built to stretch vs the standard yellow tow straps which are typically made of polyester with little stretch. Good info/selections for other-than-ARB straps:

Tow Straps and Recovery Straps

Also picked up two of these:

Crosby 1018491 - Crosby G-209 Galvanized Screw Pin 3/4" Shackle (7/8" Diameter Pin) (WLL 4.75 Ton) - Quadratec

Crosby shackles are rated among the best of the best - with a working load of about 10,000lbs it'll hold nearly twice my truck's weight without fatiguing. They are 'proof loaded' at 19,000lbs - with 'ultimate strength' of 57,000lbs. I got two; one for my truck and one for ex's SuperCrew - so if either of us must be tugged out, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt our side will hold. I have smitty-built shackles as spares; although ultimately wouldn't trust them as much, so far they've worked well for me.

As an aside, I also bought two metal Nato Fuel cans from Lexington Container. These are the real deal - and I'm SUPER happy with the purchase. If you're looking for REAL fuel cans, these can't be beaten. $120 shipped for two cans and two spouts. When I open the lid I can hear it make that sucking sound (same sound some folks at work make when speaking to 'higher ups') from the tight seal. I'd have no reservations storing these cans laying down.

(you can see the little bracket that comes with the nozzles to affix them to the can, as well as the locking pins (although in the pic they have rings, mine are L-shaped w/o rings) that hold the fuel can closed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDmpFIfWpE

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html

Also picked up a spare winch - Harbor Freight 'Badlands' 9,000lbs winch:

this thing kicks ***. That's all.

$300 - 20% coupon from Harbor Freight.

For ~$250 I can't imagine this thing being beat. The unit (hehe...) feels SOLID; every part feels like quality construction. I even picked up a wireless remote for it $40 - 20% coupon.

I'll grab vids and whatnot as I try to get myself stuck in my back yard within the next couple of days. So far it's quiet, and does what its supposed to do.

My only complaint is - the wire clamp (metal chuck that holds the wire into a loop) is a LITTLE too thick (thats what SHE said) for the fairlead - so I have to sorta work-it free when extending the cable.

I'm running an Ebay 'EYourLife' 23" LED bar now, too.

I had to have the light tabs on my bumper moved because of the bulk of the bar + brackets. Nevertheless, I am beyond happy with the purchase - came complete with wiring harness. True plug and play. Despite the yellow tint you see in the 'off' pic (where you can see how I moved the brackets from atop the cross bar, to mid-bar), that's probably a reflect from my phone's flash. No yellow/amber when viewed normally. The bar is advertised at 10k lumens, however I have no way to measure. What I can see, however, is subjectively the light could be 10x brighter than my headlamp bulbs, which are likely about 800 lumens. The bumper lights have 85W Hella - amber - in diffused/fog-patter glass lenses and metal housings.

And lastly - SummitRacing is offering Tred1100 Recovery ramps for $105 + shipping. I picked up two, in blue. Pics to follow.

Click the attachment for larger resolution of the front of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_9764.jpg
    IMG_9764.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 80

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Love the camo net. Was thinking of doing the same thing for the same reason. The shade would be really nice out here in the desert southwest. Now I am inspired to find a set.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Thanks for the review on the Badlands winch. I've been wondering about build and durability quality. At the price it's an amazing value for a 9k lb winch. Love your Expedition build. I had an '02, the Great White Whale, but fully stock it went wherever we pointed it, hauling five teenagers, their parents, two kayaks and enough gear to sustain everyone for a week.

86scotty

Cynic
Darin, sweet build! I just found it. I'm on the hunt for an 05/06 Expedition to replace my car. I have a Sportsmobile but it's old and a gas hog (no I mean really a gas hog) and I'm looking for a mild expo capable daily driver that can still pull a travel trailer.

2 questions: Your first tire/wheel setup (297/70-17?). BEFORE you lifted it, did those work ok? I don't mind being low but want an agressive tire.

Also, how has your fuel mileage changed with the lift and more aggressive tires?

Thanks!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Sorry for your loss. On the bright side, as far as I know G wagens are some what cheap over there! quick q, what leveling kit was on the F150 in those photos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle