Restomod to Rock Crawler with Timbren Axles

thethePete

Explorer
^ Second that. Or possibly match your rig. Tan/brown top and green body. Nice light colours always look good though, and an almond/tan colour will hide the invariable dust and dirt from being pulled down dirt roads just that much better.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Its, funy, I was inspired by the white roof of my budds' Land Rover.

Ive decided to go with a pale Sage green gloss on the bottom and use the same Almond on there now, but a gloss, on the top. I'm leaving the inside of the bed flat Almond. Im just getting the top of the tub painted green so I can insatall the lid and do the resto work on the lid while its on the trailer. The inside of the lid is done so it will be easer to do the outside of the lid that way.

HF6bVe.jpg

The whole outside of the tub will be this Sage green when complete.

thethePete

Explorer
Nice choice. Should look great. Do you have any plans for permanent mods (fridge on a slide, etc), or just keep it as general storage?

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Nice choice. Should look great. Do you have any plans for permanent mods (fridge on a slide, etc), or just keep it as general storage?

Eventually it will have a roof top tent. Other than the ice chest rack on now, there is not a lot of room for permanent appliances. However I am known to make functional stuff on my builds so it may get some as long as they are lightweight.....

superbuickguy

Explorer
After last summer's 110 degree weather at the Overland Rally, I'm going with light colors....

it's an amazing build - keep it up.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Just a few progress shots. I have the tub covered in green.

I started to remove the top paint with an abrasive wheel. The wheel ran out and it started to rain so I had to stop. I was just goiong to use an orbital sander but the top paint was so pitted and rusted that I decided to go to bare steel.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Im just waiting for the weather to cooperate before I can paint the top but it is all stripped to bare steel. I will use an etching primer first.

I added some hard points inside using stainless hardware and caulking holes.

Also made some straps for the ice chest and used stainless footman loops for the straps.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Ok like it or not, the painting is done and so is the major portion of the build.

FEZgGK.jpg

Now it's time to outfit it with accoutrements.

yP9tUn.jpg

Added a small gas can I had sitting around. Seems to fit well.

Just one of the many uses for the rear hitch box.....

ggUWrK.jpg

Sticker bomb?

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
I just felt that the trailer was not displaying enough "flair". So I added some reflective flair. The good thing about flair is that I can always remove it.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
The suspension is softer than I thought it would be. The specs for the Timbren axles say that there is a 2.125" travel arc but it is much more than that. I am going to have to cut off, lift, then re-weld the axles. Ugh....:smilies27

Burley

Adventurer
That's to bad about the axle. The trailer looks great though! Really nicely done and good looking welds too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78