2013 Silverado 1500 Build Thread

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Garbage pics (will retake soon) but they are all finished!

I am also planning on putting grip tape on the sliders and parts of the bumper, and LED's in the square holes in the rear.
I am really happy with how these turned out, especially since this is my first fabrication project ever.
Let me know what you think!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Be careful on the placement of the grip tape on your sliders, otherwise when wearing shorts, you will donate generous amounts of skin from the back of your legs to the grip tape gods.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Love it. Very nice sliders and bumper, simple yet very functional looking. Now you have to put them to the test.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Be careful on the placement of the grip tape on your sliders, otherwise when wearing shorts, you will donate generous amounts of skin from the back of your legs to the grip tape gods.

I grip taped them before I saw this, and can already see the error of my ways....

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Did a trip down to Moab over the weekend, and the sliders certainly proved themselves! They easily took the weight of the truck when I took the trail "Fins N things" I certainly could have used a couple more inches of ground clearance though.... 2 of my friends took the photos from that, and I will do my best to upload them ASAP.

*the better pics I promised

20160410_144845_zps6rlleyg2.jpg

20160410_144838_zpsfvryippj.jpg

I realize that I need one thing severely, clearance

I need at least 2 more inches of ground clearance, and to get rid of the super low hanging front bumper.

I have been doing quite a lot of research on suspension lifts, but do any of you have personal insight on a good way to go? all I have currently is the Bilstein front level.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
New gears inbound! The stock 3.08 gears were just not doing it for me. I bit the bullet, and I am having it regeared to 4.10's, and having a posi put in the rear. Hopefully it wont be such a slouch up hills anymore!
I am also looking to see what I need to to to clear 35" tires ;) Anyone who has experience with that, let me know, I really need more ground clearance....

herm

Adventurer
I would consider the gov lock over a limited slip. what limited slip are you looking at? does it require a new carrier for the 410s? I have the factory 373 gears in mine, you can tell a difference over the 308 trucks. 410s should be awesome.

calstar

Observer
Great looking bumper and sliders! If you don't mind what materials did you use for the bumper and how much was used? I'm also interested in how much it weighs.

thanks, Brian

Overado

Observer
New gears inbound! The stock 3.08 gears were just not doing it for me. I bit the bullet, and I am having it regeared to 4.10's, and having a posi put in the rear. Hopefully it wont be such a slouch up hills anymore!
I am also looking to see what I need to to to clear 35" tires ;) Anyone who has experience with that, let me know, I really need more ground clearance....

35s are the dream man. http://norcaltruck.com/index.php/component/com_ixxocart/Itemid,591/id,2046/p,product/parent,161/ Check out this mod the "nor cal mod" i read about this before i bought the tires i have now really wanted 35s but couldn't pass up the deal i got on 33s...should help up front when at full lock and stuffed with bigger tires

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I would like to suggest some "skinny" 34-35" tires. I had 285/75R17 before, the size was great and took very little modification to fit onto my 2wd 1500hd. Another great option, you will need new wheels but 285/75R18 which are a touch taller than a 315/70R17.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Great looking bumper and sliders! If you don't mind what materials did you use for the bumper and how much was used? I'm also interested in how much it weighs.

thanks, Brian

I used about 7ft of 3/16th 2x2 tubing and a little less than a 4x3 sheet of 3/16th's plate for the bumper. The mounts are 2x 3/16 pieces welded together. If anyone wants the layout I used to cut on the waterjet, I am more than happy to send it to them!

Thanks for the link Overado! I am gonna see if I can possibly fit the 35's with my current leveling kit and that mod! wish me luck, haha. It will probs be another 6 months till I have the money for that though....

Barb The Yeti

Observer
So I have been looking into lift options in the quest for ground clearance, and have been looking at the BDS 4" lift with Fox resivior coilovers, combined with 35x12.5r17 KO2's. That should give me a bit over 3" extra ground clearance. I would go for the 6",but that seems like it would make me way too top heavy. Thoughts?

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
You would end up with 6" more ground clearance in most places, but only a couple under rear axle. That is the kit I will be buying for my 2015, sooner than later if I don't end up using this truck to tow my trailer.
I'll probably stick with a smaller tire, 285/75/17 or something like that, depending what wheels you use, the 35" tires will likely rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12