Yukon XL 2500 build thread

Oobray

Adventurer
So I figure I'll go ahead and start a build thread. Even though I've had the truck since 2013, I haven't been able to do anything "fun" to it because I've been too busy using it and fixing what breaks. I think I have the major/foreseeable fixes taken care of. I'll do a quick run down of fixes since I bought it...

- Power window switches
- transfer case module replaced
- rear axle seals replaced x2
- transmission rebuilt with billet TC and shift kit.
- alternator
- crazy weird squeak fixed. Ended up being the aftermarket alternator was slightly out of alignment causing belt squeaks.

That's all I can think of. So here's some pics of various travels with the truck...

This is some mud I pulled my old camping rig through

Old camping rig

So I finally got around to getting to some fun stuff. Since the truck has AutoRide and I'm pretty sure they're the originals (200k miles now) and they were HORRIBLE off road, or even on dirt roads. So my first step was to crank the torsion bars to level and ordered the stage 6 level kit from NorCal Truck. The kit consists of Cognito UCAs, bolt in ball joints, Fox 2.0 shocks and a pitman arm steering brace.

Sorry I didn't take any install photos, but I get pretty focused while working. Install was really straight forward. I started putting PB Blaster on all the bolts about three days ahead of time which was really helpful. The read drivers shock in a pain to get out, but that's the only issue. I removed all the AutoRide stuff and of course I now have the error dash message. I'll be working on that. It now looks like this...

I can definitely say the ride both off road and on is AWESOME!!! I took a dirt road last night that I could never get over 30mph without flying through the sunroof. Last night I COMFORTABLY hit 55mph and could have gone faster but I was scared of flying off the road because of turns, not the bumps. It was really great!!! Anyone with a GM truck I HIGHLY recommend this setup!!

Next steps are a front hitch mount for a winch, then get my bow and start getting ready for deer season. I'll let this season tell me what my next mods are. I am thinking I'm going to build a removable storage system for all my hunting stuff in the back. Just working on ideas at the moment.

Oobray

Adventurer
Yes thank you, I've seen that on the net and was going to try it. Some folks have had other electrical problems pop up when they do this, hopefully it won't be me!

01BURB

Behind passenger side rear panel is the controller(SCM) for Autoride. Disconnect the plug from it, I cannot remember if blue or pink now. Then disconnect your battery and let it sit overnight. Next day hook your battery back up and Viola, all is good. Did this a year ago at least to my 01 Suburban 2500 with autoride and never had a single dash light on because of it since. I still need to go thru and remove all the junk associated with it. Hope this helps. I know people talked about wiring in resistors etc to fool the computer, but this works and super simple.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I have a yukon (not XL) and it has been a great basic (albeit 100% stock) platform for camping. Like what you're doing. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Love to see info on the camper too. I have been debating a Starcraft 36RT for a long time. But not sure if the build is really strong enough for off road (not rock crawling obviously but just FS type and logging roads with occasional rough patches).

Oobray

Adventurer
Well, I wish I still had that Evolution. Sort of. It was a great camper but with the family growing the bathroom became... Awkward and I could not get the lift system to be reliable. When it was, it was a b#%<% to crank. It was plenty tough for off road though and towed wonderful. And the atv deck was awesome for fear, firewood etc. the new Jayco actually does decent of rough roads too, but requires a LOT more space. Has a nice bathroom for the fam. Someday I'll take a basic old Coleman popup and deck it out as an off road camper. Something I've learned while hunting is that a decent bathroom and hot shower with beds is all that's necessary. So I'll build up the camper with a strong axle, leafs, and beef up all the interior. Prob remove most of whatever kitchen is in it too to make more seating room. I always seem to cook outside no matter the weather anyway.

This new Jayco is like a Tajmahal though!

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Gotcha- I've thought about that route too...buy one that has what I want for amenities, at rent hen it and mount it on a better box. The reason I liked the 36RT was it had a "real" bathroom w/blackwater tank. Definitely something my wife would prefer. ;)

RedF

Adventurer
Nice Yukon! How much lift did you wind up at? Tire size? Are those ball joints proprietary to the suspension, or are they readily available? Anything else to comment regarding the suspension?

boll_rig

Adventurer
Awesome looking XL. Really nice being able to drive the road and not let it drive you! keep the posts coming.

justbecause

perpetually lost
have you tracked your mpg? I would really like to know what it is with the new tires/lift towing and not.

Oobray

Adventurer
I got 1.75" over where it was with cranking the bars. I don't know if it was stick or not to begin with, but the bars are almost maxed out. Anymore lift and I'd have to get new keys.

I think the BJs are proprietary to Cognito, not sure. I know the 4 bolt mounting plate is proprietary but the actual joint may not be.

Tires are 265/75/16. They were already on the truck before the suspension mods. The PO did some plastic fender cutting. But no other running. The purpose of cranking the bars was only to level out the truck, but I do plan on getting prob 34" tires next year and re-gearing as well.

MPG... Well it's more like GPM. It gets about 11 normal driving. If I cruise empty on the highway at 60-65mph I can get 13. When I pulled my Jayco (5,200#) and 6 passengers to Colorado and back I averaged 6mpg. But it pulled Raton Pass (7% @ 7,800 ft) at 58mph!!

The way the control arms help the suspension is by the shape of the arms. It allows the arm to droop further than the factory arms which really helps when you lift/crank the bars. I did the crank before the arms and I could really tell that the suspension was maxed out. Now it rides better than factory. The Fox 2.0 shocks I spent a lot of time researching. Speaking with technicians at Fox, Cognito and NorCal Truck. Fox actually tested the valving profile on the vehicles to get perfect profiles. Unlike most companies which only "guess" at what the profile should be based on other vehicles. Also, should I want to revalve them I can do so myself and/or rebuild them. Fox says that their proprietary "race" oil they use will perform similar to a reservoir shock. This along with the aluminum body is supposed to really dissipate heat. I can definitely say that on about 2 mi of really rough road at 50mph with the suspension going through full cycle many, many times that I could still hold the shock for 3-5 seconds. So I would guess the temp was less than 120 deg. Fox said the oil should be safe up to well over 300 deg. Many folks that are racing see 400+ Degrees. I haven't towed with the shocks yet, so don't know how they will do.

zigsrig

Adventurer
Having a Yukon XL, with the 8.1L I've been looking at what to do to make the old girl a little more "expedition" worthy... This looks like a nice setup.

Please let us know how it does towing your trailer, as mine gets towing duties too (about 8200#) with our travel trailer.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
that sucker looks great! ive got the fox on my 1500hd, next move is the steering upgrades and cognito uca's. how are you enjoying your jayco? we have the same trailer, and the 6.0 is far too gutless towing it, wish i had an 8.1. i towed it with a 2016 crew cab short bed duramax the past couple weekends and that saying "didnt even feel it back there" pretty much sums it up.

Oobray

Adventurer
Honestly, the jayco isn't my favorite. It's really tight inside and no room really for anyone to "hang out" in there. The couch and dining table face the same direction making conversation difficult. So we stay outside, which is great but the. Defeats the point of hauling this beast around. I haven't really found a floor plan I like. All I really need is a completely open area with bunks, queen bed and a bathroom. Because in all but the most extreme weather we cook outside. This way we could sit inside (sometimes kids need corralling). I'm just kinda scared to start modifying this big trailer.

But the 8.1 tows well it well. Not sure how much heavier I'd want to go. Sure it could do it, but it would be "effort" at that point. And because it's naturally aspirated it lost considerable power at altitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle