**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

billum v2.0

After 4,500+ miles and 15 nights, I'm comfortable tipping my hat to Box Rocket and the other folks at Tepui. Our Kukenam Ruggedized has seen most everything but snow. Sleet (in Moab in May, no less), wind (some pretty stiff), inches of rain (some driven hard), 100°+ and 30°- temps. Well thought out product, materials, engineering. Pictures are from Moab in May and Grand Tetons last week. Next trip will be Telluride/Ouray/Silverton in September. Thanks Tepui folks.

Last edited:

piratenation90

Adventurer
I have been trying to find some pictures of the inside of the annexes but can't find any detailed ones. Planning making a roof rack for my wrangler this winter and getting an RTT for it that opens up over the back. The issue that I see is with an annex installed will I have access to the back of my jeep, I know you can get a 3 wall annex for the Kukeman but I was leaning more towards the Autana. I know there is a zippered access on the wall that would be touching the vehicle just don't know how big it is.

Jelorian

Adventurer
I'm starting to look at different RTT's and one of my requirements was that it fit myself, my wife, our daughter, and a small 20lb dog. That being said, I'm looking at 4 person RTT and was looking at the Gran Sabana, but it looks like it is no longer on the Tepui website. For 4 person RTT the Autana XL is now listed but the description still has info on the Gran Sabana. Has the Gran Sabana been discontinued? I also noticed an increase in pricing. I seem to recall the Gran Sabana was $1950.

As an aside, I know that some of you Tepui RTT owners have it mounted on a GMT800 series Z71 Tahoe/Suburban. I'm just curious as to how the RTT was mounted and did you have to get aftermarket crossbars or did the factory ones suffice?

piratenation90

Adventurer
I'm starting to look at different RTT's and one of my requirements was that it fit myself, my wife, our daughter, and a small 20lb dog. That being said, I'm looking at 4 person RTT and was looking at the Gran Sabana, but it looks like it is no longer on the Tepui website. For 4 person RTT the Autana XL is now listed but the description still has info on the Gran Sabana. Has the Gran Sabana been discontinued? I also noticed an increase in pricing. I seem to recall the Gran Sabana was $1950.

As an aside, I know that some of you Tepui RTT owners have it mounted on a GMT800 series Z71 Tahoe/Suburban. I'm just curious as to how the RTT was mounted and did you have to get aftermarket crossbars or did the factory ones suffice?

The Gran Sabana has been renamed to the Autana XL, they are the exact same tent no changes have been made that I can tell. My guess is to clean up the names since their std 3 person is called the Kukeman and the std 4 person is called the Kukeman XL it would make since that they call the 4 person with the extended canopy the XL version of the 3 person with extended canopy (Autana). Also with the release of the new Baja series it makes the names easier (Ayer Baja, Kukeman and Kukeman XL).

As for mounting it on the cross bars I assume you mean on top of the cab. The Gran Sabana/Autana XL is 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep so it would fit fine. Just make sure that you use metal crossbars and not plastic. I know that the stock roof rails are pretty strong, so they should handle the weight pretty well, but I would use a 3rd crossbar just to be on the safe side. You would only be able to attach the RTT to 2 of the crossbars, I think, the 3rd one would just be to even out the load distribution.

Jelorian

Adventurer
The Gran Sabana has been renamed to the Autana XL, they are the exact same tent no changes have been made that I can tell. My guess is to clean up the names since their std 3 person is called the Kukeman and the std 4 person is called the Kukeman XL it would make since that they call the 4 person with the extended canopy the XL version of the 3 person with extended canopy (Autana). Also with the release of the new Baja series it makes the names easier (Ayer Baja, Kukeman and Kukeman XL).

As for mounting it on the cross bars I assume you mean on top of the cab. The Gran Sabana/Autana XL is 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep so it would fit fine. Just make sure that you use metal crossbars and not plastic. I know that the stock roof rails are pretty strong, so they should handle the weight pretty well, but I would use a 3rd crossbar just to be on the safe side. You would only be able to attach the RTT to 2 of the crossbars, I think, the 3rd one would just be to even out the load distribution.

Thanks for the info. Still researching at this point, but I'm leaning towards the Tepui as they are 1.5 hours south of me and I want to support a local business.

Box Rocket

Not the easiest to see but this is the Autana Ruggedized mounted to a JKRU to open off the back. The entire back wall of the annex zips open to allow access to the back of the vehicle. I will say that the Autana is a perfect fit for the JK, like it was made for it. As has been mentioned, the Gran Sabana has been renamed to the Autana XL.

For the Tahoe/Suburban I think the XL would be best to accommodate the width of the liftgate or ambulance doors.

Boost Creep

Adventurer

mines a cvt but it should be pretty much the same thing as the tepui for mounting. i added a third oem crossbar to support the weight and then attached a baja rack exp. the rtt is then mounted to the baja rack

14829850347_71c96cb644_b.jpg

BradIXXI

Looking Forward to Getting Lost.
I have a Rugedized Kukenam and an `85 CJ-7. Would mounting this tent (weight) on top of my Jeep make it dangerous to drive on the road? Or do I just need to put on my "Big Boy Pants", get my tent mounted, and get the hell out of town?

Jelorian

Adventurer
mines a cvt but it should be pretty much the same thing as the tepui for mounting. i added a third oem crossbar to support the weight and then attached a baja rack exp. the rtt is then mounted to the baja rack

14829850347_71c96cb644_b.jpg

Really like that setup Boost. I like the fact that you still have some space at the front of the roof rack to store stuff and the RTT is not sitting on top of a full length cargo basket.

I'll have to look into them to see if a Autana XL (Gran Sabana) will fit.

radorsch

Adventurer
I have been trying to find some pictures of the inside of the annexes but can't find any detailed ones. Planning making a roof rack for my wrangler this winter and getting an RTT for it that opens up over the back. The issue that I see is with an annex installed will I have access to the back of my jeep, I know you can get a 3 wall annex for the Kukeman but I was leaning more towards the Autana. I know there is a zippered access on the wall that would be touching the vehicle just don't know how big it is.

I have an E350 van and can open both rear cargo doors into the annex of my Autana (with a tiny bit of work). It's a pretty big opening.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Here ya go. This was easier that setting up my tent to get a photo. Obviously not to scale. Use your imaginations. :)

Hey Adam, I got my $10 worth of supplies this weekend to duplicate this, but wanted to make sure I understood right so I can measure and make it the correct length. This new support should go between the rain fly and the tent, with the end hooking over the rod for the rain fly and the other end hooking over the rod that supports the overhang?

Box Rocket

Hey Adam, I got my $10 worth of supplies this weekend to duplicate this, but wanted to make sure I understood right so I can measure and make it the correct length. This new support should go between the rain fly and the tent, with the end hooking over the rod for the rain fly and the other end hooking over the rod that supports the overhang?
I think you could do it that way and have it work fine, (it actually might work better that way, so I'll have to try it) but I used mine under the canopy so that it was attached to the forward bow of the tent (above the door) and to the one that supports the overhang. Hope that makes sense.
I've only used mine a couple times and it seems to do the job. Let us know how it goes for you. I'm interested to hear.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I think you could do it that way and have it work fine, (it actually might work better that way, so I'll have to try it) but I used mine under the canopy so that it was attached to the forward bow of the tent (above the door) and to the one that supports the overhang. Hope that makes sense.
I've only used mine a couple times and it seems to do the job. Let us know how it goes for you. I'm interested to hear.

That makes sense and what I actually though originally about doing, but then I reread your original post and thought I understood it differently. I think I'm going to do it your way, just because it's easier to put them up. Thanks for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle