BFGoodrich AT KO2, Initial impressions and hopefully long term report

marathonracer

Adventurer
I haven't seen it. The 34x10.5 17 is closest, but expensive. I also have heard talk around the interwebs that the 255/85 16 KM2 will be discontinued, but I have no idea if that is valid.

255 85 16 km2 is discontinued for a short time until May (confirmed with direct emails with bfg by myself and several other members) ....luckily

AxleIke

Adventurer
The KO2's dont appear to have the rim protector on them, if this just missing , or is it hard to tell in the photos ?

Nope, they got rid of it. I don't really miss it. It never really worked for me. Just tore out and still the rims got shredded.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I know I am reviving a thread that's over a year old but I was wondering if you had an update for us.
I run the KM2's and want to go back to a more all around tire as these suck during the winter. I have had good luck with the original KO's as well in the past.
My initial impression of the KO2 has been impressive but limited. We have a little Bobcat Toolcat (the bobcat truck) that we plow snow off the sidewalks with at work. I work for a municipality in a ski town and we converted our Toolcat to street tires 2 winters ago. This was done for two reasons: better winter traction without chains and for a skinnier vehicle width when plowing the skinny parts of our sidewalks that pinched off between light poles and other obstacles.
The first winter my boss bought General Grabber AT2's. Awesome traction but paper thin sidewalls. We tore 2 sidewalls over the course of that winter. This year I talked him into the KO2's. No torn sidewalls even though they have some serious road rash. Ice traction was a little better with the General's but only marginally. I am impressed with the durability of the BFG KO2's. They have been beat on and survived.
My question is: "How are they on the trail?" I want your impressions.
Thanks in advance.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I know I am reviving a thread that's over a year old but I was wondering if you had an update for us.
I run the KM2's and want to go back to a more all around tire as these suck during the winter. I have had good luck with the original KO's as well in the past.
My initial impression of the KO2 has been impressive but limited. We have a little Bobcat Toolcat (the bobcat truck) that we plow snow off the sidewalks with at work. I work for a municipality in a ski town and we converted our Toolcat to street tires 2 winters ago. This was done for two reasons: better winter traction without chains and for a skinnier vehicle width when plowing the skinny parts of our sidewalks that pinched off between light poles and other obstacles.
The first winter my boss bought General Grabber AT2's. Awesome traction but paper thin sidewalls. We tore 2 sidewalls over the course of that winter. This year I talked him into the KO2's. No torn sidewalls even though they have some serious road rash. Ice traction was a little better with the General's but only marginally. I am impressed with the durability of the BFG KO2's. They have been beat on and survived.
Thanks in advance.

They are great on the trail. As expected, they aren't awesome in mud. On rocks and dirt, they have excelled.

Gettin it done in South Dakota. Lots of sharp rocks, lots of sidewall rash, and some quarter rash. No punctures.

and also on Blanca Peak, Colorado. Again, big rocks, lots of sharp edges, no issues.

I couldn't get any traction in a mud hole at the bottom of a waterfall in south dakota, but it was really on the guys on 40" irocks who were getting it done there. Everyone was struggling with the soup that day. But the tires were just packed in. Like slicks.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I am hugely impressed by my KO2's. I have yet to an encounter a situation off road where I wished I had something more aggressive. This includes several rocky/muddy trails similar to above where a friend was losing traction and unable to climb wet hills with MTR kevlars. I recommend them all around.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Forgot to mention I went from 255/85 KM2s to 295/75 KO2s. The KM2s are really good off road - really good. But the KO2s are about 80% as capable off road and probably 50% more livable on road.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks in advance.

Are the KO2's only marginal on the snow and ice?

I am getting ready to buy a new set right before winter here in Idaho, but debating on getting a true winter tire instead of the BFG AT's, since we tend to get a lot of black ice. Then go to 3 season tire come spring, something like a Cooper AT3, since the truck sees more pavement than dirt.

I have the old style of BFG AT's on there now...and they "ok" on snow and ice...but not great. Wondering if the new version is any better.

Last edited:

QuadsBC

Adventurer
I have 315 75 16 ko2's on my tundra. Just like everyone else, preform well and extremely quiet, but wholly crap do they sling rocks on a gravel road. My rock sliders have been sand blasted.

I purchased another smaller set for my wife's Honda Pilot. 245 65 17 and I HATE them. They are so loud! Sound like chopped mud tires. Seriously debating about selling them and putting general grabbers instead. We now drive my truck everywhere because we can't have a normal conversation at 55mph.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have 315 75 16 ko2's on my tundra. Just like everyone else, preform well and extremely quiet, but wholly crap do they sling rocks on a gravel road. My rock sliders have been sand blasted.

Was wondering if the new style was any better than the old....they sure do like to hang onto pea size gravel...even at highway speeds they refuse to let go. click...click...click....click...click...click...down the road you go.

HighPlains

Observer
Are the KO2's only marginal on the snow and ice?

I am getting ready to buy a new set right before winter here in Idaho, but debating on getting a true winter tire instead of the BFG AT's, since we tend to get a lot of black ice. Then go to 3 season tire come spring, something like a Cooper AT3, since the truck sees more pavement than dirt.

I have the old style of BFG AT's on there now...and they "ok" on snow and ice...but not great. Wondering if the new version is any better.

I can't speak to the KO2's since I don't have experience with them but with the needs you're describing I would recommend taking a serious look at the Cooper AT/w. We had them on our shop trucks and they are very impressive in the winter, you really have to push them to get them to slide on packed snow and ice. They have a similar pattern to the AT/3 with a lot more siping and still are rated for 50k miles in both p and lt sizes.

Clutch

<---Pass
I can't speak to the KO2's since I don't have experience with them but with the needs you're describing I would recommend taking a serious look at the Cooper AT/w. We had them on our shop trucks and they are very impressive in the winter, you really have to push them to get them to slide on packed snow and ice. They have a similar pattern to the AT/3 with a lot more siping and still are rated for 50k miles in both p and lt sizes.

thanks!

I am also looking at the Kumho AT51...it is severe rated as well. Reading some good reviews, but have also read of some casing failures, but the seem rare from what I can tell.

road-venture-at51.png

Last edited:

C-grunt

Anyone have any mileage data on the KO2? Looking to replace the stock Rugged Terrain tires on my 13 Tundra and am looking at the KO2. The tires I have now have worked well for the trails I do around the Phoenix area, but they have only lasted me 30k miles. I'm hoping the KO2 can beat that.

Nice Write up Isaac!

I picked my 285s up yesterday, today headed to pick up a set of TRD Trail Teams 16" from Stevenson.

Lift has to wait until later this month or next month, but I am gonna mess around and see if these fit with out rubbing on stock suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle