2018 F150 with Diesel engine spotted testing

haven

Expedition Leader
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/09/spied-2018-ford-f-150-with-diesel-engine.html

The test vehicle has a 3.0L V6 diesel, the same engine used by Land Rover. In the Range Rover, this engine makes abou 440 ft lbs. It will be interesting to compare the 3.0L diesel with the 3.5L Ecoboost gas engine, which is rated to deliver 470 ft lbs in the 2017 F150.

Ram and Titan XD will have a diesel competitor next year. Colorado diesel is another option Tundra might join the diesel club, as well.

D45

Explorer
It will sell, but will also be untouchable for many people to afford

New loaded Ecoboost trucks are $55k........add a diesel option........$62k?

I don't see the pros.......especially when you look at the horrible payload and towing capacity of the Ram Ecodiesel

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO

I don't see the pros.......especially when you look at the horrible payload and towing capacity of the Ram Ecodiesel
Yup, agree. It's a non-factor. Mall rigs built for non-taxing use. Diesel in anything less than a 3/4 ton is a waste to even build.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mo4130

Adventurer
Yup, agree. It's a non-factor. Mall rigs built for non-taxing use. Diesel in anything less than a 3/4 ton is a waste to even build.

In the currant American trim it is. Add a diesel to any small truck/jeep and pair it to a manual with out all the tech crap and you would sell more than you think. Who would love a taco or fronty with 400+ lb ft and 30 mpg?

adam88

Explorer
The days of the diesel are over. There was a time when people wanted a small pickup truck with a small diesel in it. Circa 2005. Now, it's 2016 and no one cares. This is an example of auto manufactures missing the boat. If they had taken a small engine, like the diesel TDI golf engine, and put it in a Ford ranger back in 2002, it would have sold like hot cakes. Ford should focus on turbo gas engines now and forget about putting a diesel in a 1/2 ton. If people want a diesel they will buy the 3/4 ton. What a waste of time.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
The days of the diesel are over. There was a time when people wanted a small pickup truck with a small diesel in it. Circa 2005. Now, it's 2016 and no one cares. This is an example of auto manufactures missing the boat. If they had taken a small engine, like the diesel TDI golf engine, and put it in a Ford ranger back in 2002, it would have sold like hot cakes. Ford should focus on turbo gas engines now and forget about putting a diesel in a 1/2 ton. If people want a diesel they will buy the 3/4 ton. What a waste of time.
Exactly

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Rad. I'll give one a look if/when it happens.

Why quote the fully loaded price?

Oh yeah - to skew towards your point. The xlt price is what $20k less....

Ford knows the market better than forum posters.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

That's why the call it "options". You pick what you can afford. I bet 45k would get you a basic crew cab diesel with no frills.

Clutch

<---Pass
If they offer it in the base XL trim price might not be too bad after all the excitement wears off. You can grab a base model Ram EcoDiesel 4WD for under $30K right now, as someone mentioned too bad it has a poor payload and tow ratings. Though I could make it work. ;)

1/2 ton diesel with a 2000 lbs payload, that gets 30 mpg...might be worth a look see. Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton with a FWC or if AT ever decides to build a fullsize habitat...would be an awfully nice road tripper.

Problem with the 3/4-1 Ton's you are still going to get into the teens for fuel consumption. yeah...yeah...someone's brother's uncle's former room-mate at squeaks out 22 mpg in his Cummins 2500....most don't.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ford's sold 1 million Ecoboost equipped F-150's to date.
I recently rode in an Ecoboost Transit and the sucker was quick and whisper quiet. This was a passenger van. Fuel economy was 12 mpg. Not bad for hauling 7 people around all day.
Only negative was rattles @ 27K miles.

rkj__

Adventurer
It is a bummer that the GM Colorado/Canyon doesn't come in an extra-cab version. Do the manufactures think everyone needs to haul extra passengers?

Seeing deep discounts on those now. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668812934/overview/

Yeah, the options on the Colorado / Canyon twins are quite restrictive, and sometimes odd.

If you want a manual, you can't have 4x4, crew cab, or any options, really.
If you want a diesel, you can't have an extended cab.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, the options on the Colorado / Canyon twins are quite restrictive, and sometimes odd.

If you want a manual, you can't have 4x4, crew cab, or any options, really.
If you want a diesel, you can't have an extended cab.

You would think in this day and age with the plethora of choices out there, we could build a vehicle à la carte. Heck, robots do most of the work anyway, should be able just to plug in an order exactly how you want it built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman