GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

North

Observer
Is the stock stereo in the Express a standard Double DIN unit or GM-specific size? I want to replace my stock unit so I can hook up a backup cam, but the options Crutchfield is spitting out seem really limited. Anybody have the same experience? Any recommendations on a Double DIN stereo that fits well and has good resolution for the backup cam?

Update: I ended up with one of the larger Double DIN units (~7+" depth-wise) and it fit no problem. I'd go as far as to say you can fit just about any aftermarket stereo in these vans.

Logan80

I'm curious how these lift keys/kits will affect an AWD 2500 Van. All the same as the 1500 or do I need something totally different for mine?

Accrete

Explorer
Isn't there a thread or a post where somebody wrote what wheels and tires...

I don't know about a dedicated tire thread for the AWD van but I shared what i'm using in _this post at my build thread_

With the ~3" lift I am running common stock-for GM trucks 265/70/r17 on 17x9 rims with a -12mm offset.

vanwheelstires.jpg

: ) Thom

wjeeper

I'm curious how these lift keys/kits will affect an AWD 2500 Van. All the same as the 1500 or do I need something totally different for mine?

Shooting from the hip I would think since the 2500 AWD has same GVRW and the same 6 lug axles it would not surprise me if they are identical. However it wouldn't surprise me if the torsion keys are the same but the bars themselves stiffer.

One way to find out is if there is any trace of paint left on your torsion keys. Pic below shows where to look on the torsion keys. My paint was not visible until I sprayed it with some WD-40
SSK-103_aa_1000.jpg

15045171...4 degrees...Purple (stock 2500HD)
15657374...9 degrees...Blue (FK2 S10)
15603963...12 degrees...Orange (also S10)
15592573...14 degrees...Green (stock 1500)

Mine were green keys. I swapped in some f-150/ expedition keys and it did the trick!

86cj

Explorer
My 2013 AWD 1500 Pass van came with the white keys stock, # 15592574...18 degrees...I had alot of bolt sticking out at stock height and could have got some lift, my alignment guy said I might not have needed the aftermarket keys with my new torsion bars.

I have found out that AWD 1500 Van brake calipers, pads and rotors are the same as similar year 1500 SUV and Trucks "except 07- up trucks with rear drums".......

Upper and lower front control arms are the same as 99-06 1500 SUV and Trucks, just like the front shocks. Good news for finding parts on the road far from home or just to make you feel better about the AWD 1500 van not being that rare........

The AWD 1500 Van frame is not shared with anything, most other parts yes and that is a good thing. The parts have been proven on other chassis and are easy to source new or old, part of my reason for choosing the AWD 1500 Van.

The AWD 2500 Van is the same 7300lb GVW van, no differences anybody has found to date.........

Last edited:

wjeeper

My 2013 AWD 1500 Pass van came with the white keys stock, # 15592574...18 degrees...I had alot of bolt sticking out at stock height and could have got some lift, my alignment guy said I might not have needed the aftermarket keys with my new torsion bars.
Shoot I somehow forgot the white keys!

I have found out that AWD 1500 Van brake calipers, pads and rotors are the same as similar year 1500 SUV and Trucks "except 07- up trucks with rear drums".......

Upper and lower front control arms are the same as 99-06 1500 SUV and Trucks, just like the front shocks. Good news for finding parts on the road far from home or just to make you feel better about the AWD 1500 van not being that rare........

The AWD 1500 Van frame is not shared with anything, most other parts yes and that is a good thing. The parts have been proven on other chassis and are easy to source new or old, part of my reason for choosing the AWD 1500 Van.

Don't forget the unit bearings, the CV boots and brake lines. If memory serves me right the only things that are van specific in the front end are the CV shafts and the steering knuckles. Out back the springs are dimensionally the same as a '92-'98 1500 spring (60 inch).

Have been researching the heck out of these vans suspensions. Considering building some tubular uppers (have a buddy with the jigs for a Silverado) to regain some droop travel/ fix the upper ball joint angle that is knocked out of whack when cranking the torsion bars. Depends on if the CV joint plunge doesn't get out of hand with the extra travel. Also considering some air-bumps and remote resi's up front as well as some sprung-under Deavers and longer shackles in the rear.............I gotta quit hanging out with friends in the go-fast crowd!:sombrero:

TeleSteve

Adventurer

The AWD 2500 Van is the same 7300lb GVW van, no differences anybody has found to date.........
So this 15" travel kit should work with a few added truck parts thrown in!
http://www.vegasdezertfab.com/product/1999-2006-chevy-4wd-silverado-1500-long-travel-suspension-kit
Even with coilovers it would cost less than the boulder offroad 6" kit.

Last edited:

wjeeper

So this 15" travel kit should work with a few added truck parts thrown in!
http://www.vegasdezertfab.com/product/1999-2006-chevy-4wd-silverado-1500-long-travel-suspension-kit
Even with coilovers it would cost less than the boulder offroad 6" kit.

The arms should bolt up. The inner 930 CV adapter, shaft length and knuckle extension may be a tad different. Depending on how close the truck and van knuckles are it may be possible to swap knuckles and bolt nearly the whole of the kit in. I am considering grabbing my buddies jigs and fabbing up some tubular upper and boxed in lower arms to test the theory. Have to wait until spring till I can use the motorcycle as a DD and put the van up on jack stands for a month or two.

I really need to find someone with a 1500 that is willing to let me borrow their truck for a weekend to compare/ measure front end parts! Anyone know somebody?:Mechanic:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I really need to find someone with a 1500 that is willing to let me borrow their truck for a weekend to compare/ measure front end parts! Anyone know somebody?:Mechanic:

Curious what source you guys are using for part numbers?
I have found some very good OEM part's fische online for motorcycles but nothing too great for GM parts.

TFin04

Adventurer
Hi guys, I have searched this thread and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me about the GM AWD vans.

- What is a real world MPG for highway driving? Stock suspension with a set of A/T tires.
- What are the most common and/or most expensive problems these vans have?
- What is the cargo capacity behind the first bench seat to the back doors? IE, will a sheet of plywood fit with one bench seat in place?

Thanks for your time and I'll keep reading in the mean time.

dleeallen

Adventurer
- What is a real world MPG for highway driving? Stock suspension with a set of A/T tires.
- What are the most common and/or most expensive problems these vans have?
- What is the cargo capacity behind the first bench seat to the back doors? IE, will a sheet of plywood fit with one bench seat in place?

I just picked up a 2014 recently and on my drive from PA to VT I averaged about 18mpg - stock passenger van. Mostly highway not pushing too hard. Around town/mixed use I'm seeing 13-15mpg.

8' is under the first bench. So no go on sheet goods with benches in place. Lumber is ok though since it will slide under the bench.

wjeeper

Curious what source you guys are using for part numbers?
I have found some very good OEM part's fische online for motorcycles but nothing too great for GM parts.

I have been using a combination of GMPartsDirect.com and RockAuto.com. I open two windows side by side and just compare the part #'s. I like GMPartsDirect because they have the factory exploded diagrams. Not the best if your looking for old parts but for newer rigs its great!

Hi guys, I have searched this thread and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me about the GM AWD vans.

- What is a real world MPG for highway driving? Stock suspension with a set of A/T tires. When I was stock I got 13-18 MPG, but I have 200k miles on the motor
- What are the most common and/or most expensive problems these vans have? I would say a semi common problem is when the 4L60E trans gets older they tend to have rough 1-2 shifts. The 2nd gear accumulator and or servo gets worn. The parts to fix it are cheap, but they require some expertise to install. But good news its a Chevy and this engine/transmission combination has been in millions of trucks/cars/vans so parts are cheap. The motors in these rigs are solid!

Thanks for your time and I'll keep reading in the mean time.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Here's a random question - passenger vans - the seat belt plastic retainer clips that hold the rear shoulder belts so they don't swing around when the benches are out -- has anyone been able to find any to purchase? My dealer couldn't figure out a part number for them. My van is missing 3 of them. I'm thinking a junkyard run may be my best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179