FJ60 LS Swap - From Oil Burner to Gas V8 - Stoffregen Motorsports

Plumbing the fuel system and installing the new fuel tank from Man-A-Fre was fun. I don't know why, but I like bending lines and doing that detail work.

The new fuel tank came just about ready for the new EFI pump. All I had to do was locate the sump, cut a hole, tack weld the pump module flange and install all the fittings. Man-A-Fre did a really nice job with this tank. Not only does it hold a massive amount of fuel, but it seems like it was made specifically with this fuel pump module in mind.

Locating the sump.

Last edited:
Using a fuel pump supplied by Tilden Motorsports and a module from Tanks, Inc, the fuel pump install was a snap. I decided to simplify the install and utilize the fuel return that was built into the tank, thereby reducing the amount of parts assembled on the pump module. Since the tank had a sump already, I also left off the bolt on sump that came with the Tanks, Inc module.

To make future repairs easier, I made up a pigtail with a water tight connector for the wiring.

Here's the final assembly ready for install.

Last edited:
Prepping the space to accept the new tank was rather disappointing. I had to cut the tailpipe off at the muffler because it wanted to share the space with the new tank. Such is the nature of my business. Nothing ever goes as planned.

Once the tank was in, the new fuel lines, filler neck and vapor lines were all plumbed.

To keep the ease of repair motif, a -6 AN bulkhead fitting was installed between the hard and soft lines. This was held in place by a simple bracket.

There's never a clean way to secure the filter/regulator and I hate the rubber lined clamp that most people use, so I found another way...a coil bracket, new from Summit for $3.99.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Amazing attention to detail as always, I can look at your pictures sideways, upside down, anyway! Just keep posting them!
Great job!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Getting the proper VSS to communicate with the manual trans ECU was trickier than I thought. I called APT instruments and they had a solution, but it was too complex. Of course there's always Dakota Digital, but gadgets don't really do it for me. But I found a really cool solution. Just down the road from me...ok, 125 miles... is a shop called Jags That Run. They are famous for V8 swaps in mid year Jaguars. They just happened to have exactly what we needed, with no doohickeys, just a simple reluctor ring and an OE GM VSS. Part of the issue lay with the pulse requirements of the manual trans computer; 17 pulse, but they had the right parts in stock.

It's a really neat solution. Check it out.

I had a couple leaks to fix in the t-case while I was in there, but other than that, installation was very easy.

But of course, there is another problem. The new VSS is clocked so that it interferes with the speedo correction gearbox. Out of the frying pan, into the fire...
I'll have to have a new gearbox made in 90 degrees. APT can help me with that.

One of the owner's original complaints was driveline vibrations. Most FJ60's use a u-joint at both ends of the t-case, and installing CV's at both outputs would certainly help with that. Using Toyota double cardan CV's is something I try to adhere to on all my builds, no matter if it's a daily driver or just a trail rig. I don't like the Spicer 1310 CV as the OEM Toyota joints are vastly superior, so we sourced a couple donor shafts.

I don't know of anyone that makes a multi drilled flange for the split case, but no matter, I drill my own anyway.

screwball48

Explorer
Pics are good on my end. This is going to be a very nice rig when done. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for watching and commenting.

I forgot to mention, I did plumb the steam port into the radiator, as per Stan's suggestion, by welding a 1/4 NPT bung next to the filler neck and adding a 1/4" nipple.

Here's a pic:

NCFJ

Adventurer
Looking good Matt.
What most folks don't quite understand is that setting the drive train in the frame is just the beginning. The list of sub systems and details is endless. I average about 10 custom brackets of some sort per swap, lots of wiring harness work, more fluid lines than you know what to do with and a complete cooling system. Every last piece is prepped and painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior