"House" battery question (Amp Hours and Deep Cycle vs Starter)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I thought about suggesting marine batteries, but they are almost always top terminal. They have the super convenient lugs with wing nuts, but still top terminal.
Top terminals aren't necessarily a deal breaker. I can probably rig up my 2nd battery with top terminals if I had to. Might have to put some insulation between the + terminal and the fender brace but it's do-able, I think.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
From what I've seen, Batteries Plus has a good selection but crazy high prices, way way above what other sellers are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I think that one point has been a bit lost in the translation - AGM batteries can be mounted sideways and this may make it possible for Martin to mount a different/larger battery on his tray.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Actually I think they are re-branded Northstar.
That would be even better, but if you look at the pic in the X2 link, the details just scream "Odyssey." Look at the handle, the side terminal connector covers, and the vertical ribs on the long side of the case. In a Grp 34 or 34/78, I think it's a tossup between Odyssey and Northstar, but in a Grp 31, go with Northstar (I have both). Other sizes, I don't know, but Odyssey has great customer service and Northstar also makes a great battery.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Quote Originally Posted by cruiser47 View Post
I believe Sears AGM's are made by Odyssey.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
The Diehard Platinums were, though someone here on ExPo a while back said that scuttlebutt was they were discontinuing those.
Sears and Odyssey both told me that the Odyssey contract with Sears has ended, but there may be a few NOS Odyssey Platinum batteries kicking around in the stores. Northstar told more than a year ago me that they had the new contract with Sears for AGMs, but my observation is that the DieHard Golds are not the premium batteries that the the old Platinums were (based on their specs). The Northstar rep I spoke with told me the the PM1 (Grp 31) would be replaced by the similar (but slightly higher spec'd) Northstar Grp 31. I have not seen that Northstar 31 in any of the Sears stores. A note on the Odyssey vs Sears/Odyssey battery choice: There is nothing wrong with the Sears/Odyssey 34 or 34/78, except that Sears warrants the marine version for only three years, but the same battery with an Odyssey label on it is warranted for four years. The automotive version of both batteries (i.e., the one without the extra set of marine studs) has a four-year warranty from both companies.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So here's a question: Are these the same batteries?
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli34=78agmdp
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/heppc1500dt
Because except for the color, they sure look the same. CCA are the same, AH are the same (68 for both, that's the highest I've seen in a group 34/78.) Shape of the case is identical which leads me to believe the X2 is an Odyssey with a color change.
Interesting that the blue one (X2) has a 60 month warranty while the red Odyssey has a 48. Interesting because the blue X2 is considerably less expensive.
I can get the Odyssey for $260 on Amazon, while the X2 would be $280 + core charge at my local Batteries Plus (they offer a 10% discount that effectively negates the sales tax.) My inclination is to get the X2 because I'd rather have a battery I can physically go and get vs. waiting for Amazon to deliver it. Plus if I have any issues I can bring it back, with Amazon I'd have to go through their customer service.
Thoughts on the above? I really need to get a battery soon because I've done as much as I can do on my dual battery setup without actually having a battery.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Odyssey weighs 51.65 lbs and the Batteries Plus 48 lbs. The dimensions are slightly different, too. But they sure look about the same otherwise. I'd be inclined to think it's a re-badged Odyssey.

I'm also someone who will buy locally if price makes that possible. With something like this being so heavy I'd bet on it getting dropped once or twice in shipping.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
So here's a question: Are these the same batteries?
My guess is that they are the same, and the specs were written by two different people. Call Odyssey and ask them. They have been pretty good about discussing their batteries and their private label batteries with me.

X2 batteries are manufactured by NorthStar. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are rebadged NorthStar batteries although made in the same plant. I don't know who makes Odyssey batteries. I am like you I would take the hit on the extra cost just to be able to pick it up in person plus Batteries Plus being in most major cities it would be easier to exchange anywhere you go if you have trouble.

Last edited:

Jelorian

Adventurer
Here is a photo of the 2nd battery tray. The battery has to fit into that small space, as you can see there's not a lot of room to expand, especially upward, since the fender/firewall brace sits above the battery:

Martin,

you will not be reusing that corner brace so you can remeasure without it in place. My 2nd battery has exactly the same dimensions as my starter/house battery and there is no way the brace is going back on there. The battery tray below will be taking over the "bracing" duties.

Jel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman