**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Well, after owning my Tepui for two years and having never taken it off my Jeep this last weekend was the true durability test. We did the Rubicon in one of the worst storms northern California has seen in a while. I'll try to not make this post into a trip report but my Autana and 6x6 awning were great. The tent held up excellent in the high winds. Weather forecast had a warning out for gusts up to 125 mph on Sierra ridge. I had no way of measuring the wind speed but it was the strongest I've experienced. The only time it stopped raining is when it was hailing, then rained again. The trail turned into a 6 inch deep creek and puddles got 3/4 of the way up my 33 inch tires. Being able to sleep off the ground was awesome! The wind was incredibly loud but ear plugs did the trick at night. Also, a Mr Buddy in the Tepui dried all of my clothes while I slept warm and comfy. By the time night came around I was beat, I regret not taking photos of camp but it was ugly out and I just wanted to eat and sleep. Epic trip and Tepui was the icing on the cake!

Jelorian

Adventurer
Well, after owning my Tepui for two years and having never taken it off my Jeep this last weekend was the true durability test. We did the Rubicon in one of the worst storms northern California has seen in a while. I'll try to not make this post into a trip report but my Autana and 6x6 awning were great. The tent held up excellent in the high winds. Weather forecast had a warning out for gusts up to 125 mph on Sierra ridge. I had no way of measuring the wind speed but it was the strongest I've experienced. The only time it stopped raining is when it was hailing, then rained again. The trail turned into a 6 inch deep creek and puddles got 3/4 of the way up my 33 inch tires. Being able to sleep off the ground was awesome! The wind was incredibly loud but ear plugs did the trick at night. Also, a Mr Buddy in the Tepui dried all of my clothes while I slept warm and comfy. By the time night came around I was beat, I regret not taking photos of camp but it was ugly out and I just wanted to eat and sleep. Epic trip and Tepui was the icing on the cake!

Wow. What a crazy first hand account. Glad the tent held up. This makes me want one even more knowing it can take a beating from the wind.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Here's another reminder of TEPUIFEST happening this weekend, Oct 14-16 at Hollister OHV Park! Don't miss out on a great time.
http://tepuitents.com/products/tepuifest-2016
We have great live music including D.avid J.eremy, great food, Best in Show and other customer awards, off road clinics, HUGE Raffle prizes, 100 Nuts/Horseshoe Tournaments and more! We're excited to see you out there and hope you and your Tepui can make it for a killer weekend!

Best in Show - awarded to the rig with the most unique style. The previous winner of this award was a tricked out VW van with a rooftop tent penthouse.
Frankenstein - our "what the heck?" category, given to the freak rig. Last year it was a ground tent bolted to the top of a Suzuki Samari. Yes, really.
Oil Can - anyone ever referred to your rig as a "jalopy" or "clunker"? Here's your chance to cash in and win.
Glamping - awarded to the most luxurious rig. Bring on the astro turf, lawn gnomes, and mood lighting.
Gear Head - this prize goes to the most sophisticated build. The winner must have grease under their fingernails.
Register soon, space is limited.
Pricing is per person and children under 7 are free.

So how did the Tepuifest go? Where are the pics? :) I was on my way back from San Diego and saw a bunch of rigs heading down I-5 late afternoon on Sunday. I know it was raining pretty hard over the weekend so hopefully it didn't affect the festivities too much.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Wow! Thank you for sharing that experience! It's always great to hear about stuff like this, especially when it shows just how durable and comfortable the tents are. When I get asked the question, "why bother with a roof top tent? can't you just use a good ground tent?" This is exactly the type of situation that illustrates the benefits of a quality roof top tent. I can't imagine the misery of that storm in a ground tent. If you don't mind we might share your post on the Tepui FB page.

Box Rocket

So how did the Tepuifest go? Where are the pics? :) I was on my back from San Diego and saw a bunch of rigs heading down I-5 late afternoon on Sunday. I know it was raining pretty hard over the weekend so hopefully it didn't affect the festivities too much.
I was stuck in Utah and not able to attend TepuiFest but everyone I've talked to that was there said it was fantastic! Pics should be coming from various places over the next several days.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Wow! Thank you for sharing that experience! It's always great to hear about stuff like this, especially when it shows just how durable and comfortable the tents are. When I get asked the question, "why bother with a roof top tent? can't you just use a good ground tent?" This is exactly the type of situation that illustrates the benefits of a quality roof top tent. I can't imagine the misery of that storm in a ground tent. If you don't mind we might share your post on the Tepui FB page.

I don't mind one bit. I camp and backpack year round in most weather conditions but this storm was intense. It was nice to really test it and I wouldn't sweat riding another storm out again in the Tepui. The awning held up too, I had to use ratchet straps to hold the corners down!

T.Wagner

I am looking at getting either the Ayer SKY or the Kukenam SKY before too long. How does the Ayer fit two smaller people? Both my girlfriend and I are under 6' tall so I was thinking the Ayer could work for us. I just don't know if the additional 8" of width is worth $425 more... Not to mention I would like the Ayer for weight savings on top of my Jeep TJ. Thanks for the help!

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
The Ayer in all reality would probably be just fine but the extra room in every direction is really awesome. I have the Autana, which is same sleeping area size as the Kukenam, the extra room allows a place for a backpack/purse at your feet and the height is great. Since the Ayer is also shorter it might be more difficult changing. I can sit cross legged in my tent and change a shirt our take off a jacket with out hitting my head or arms. It's just nice not being cramped. I thought about getting the Ayer for weight savings and so on and glad I didn't. I think it's a great tent but just consider everything before you buy. If you have a chance check out both and you'll see. I just did the Rubicon with my tent on the Jeep and it didn't stop me from anything. I wouldn't worry too much about size and weight to be honest.

T.Wagner

The Ayer in all reality would probably be just fine but the extra room in every direction is really awesome. I have the Autana, which is same sleeping area size as the Kukenam, the extra room allows a place for a backpack/purse at your feet and the height is great. Since the Ayer is also shorter it might be more difficult changing. I can sit cross legged in my tent and change a shirt our take off a jacket with out hitting my head or arms. It's just nice not being cramped. I thought about getting the Ayer for weight savings and so on and glad I didn't. I think it's a great tent but just consider everything before you buy. If you have a chance check out both and you'll see. I just did the Rubicon with my tent on the Jeep and it didn't stop me from anything. I wouldn't worry too much about size and weight to be honest.

Yeah, the weight is one thing I am a little concerned with. I don't want to limit myself on the trail because of being extremely top heavy. I don't know how my TJ would react to the RTT. I know when I have my rack on and unloaded I can feel a pretty drastic difference in handling on mountain roads, so I am a little weary of putting too much weight on top. Hopefully someday I will get the chance to check out both before making a decision.

loudboy

Observer
To change subjects a bit, I'd like to know what others are doing about condensation control in RTTs. I've got an Autana that is awesome, but the thing just collects so much moisture every morning.

I have the anti-condensation mat, but that doesn't seem to do diddly; as soon as I fold up the tent the moisture runs into the bedding. Usually after a quick weekend trip I have to set the tent out to dry for the day - I can't imagine doing a multi-night trip like that. I usually only set up camp in the evening and break down in the morning to keep traveling.

Perhaps a heat blanket attached to an aux battery laid under the anti-condensation mat to keep the bottom warm/moisture free? Sure seems like a hassle.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Is your TJ lifted or heavily modified? My XJ sits on 33s with a 6.5 inch lift and I run my RTT year round. When I built my Jeep I threw the front and rear sway bars away and never looked back. I commute 30 miles of a mountain road everyday and it doesn't bother me, but, that's my preference and probably not yours. I know being coil sprung front and rear might make your Jeep feel a lot more floppy than mine so who knows. I searched high and low for a used RTT and finally just bought a new one. My thinking was if I didn't like it I could probably sell it no problem at a minimal loss.

shoredreamer

Observer
To change subjects a bit, I'd like to know what others are doing about condensation control in RTTs. I've got an Autana that is awesome, but the thing just collects so much moisture every morning.

I have the anti-condensation mat, but that doesn't seem to do diddly; as soon as I fold up the tent the moisture runs into the bedding. Usually after a quick weekend trip I have to set the tent out to dry for the day - I can't imagine doing a multi-night trip like that. I usually only set up camp in the evening and break down in the morning to keep traveling.

Perhaps a heat blanket attached to an aux battery laid under the anti-condensation mat to keep the bottom warm/moisture free? Sure seems like a hassle.

I've been impressed with the Thermarest SoLite foam sleeping pads that I put in my Autana. I taped them down to the floor between the floor and mattress. I used to get steady water droplets under the mattress every night but since putting those pads in I've seen ZERO moisture under the mattress. Completely dry. Also, these are firm backpacking sleeping pads so they complement the foam soft mattress really well. Also, one side of the pad is reflective which I put on the metal floor side and this definitely insulates quite a bit. This all comes from a pad that is .6" thick and less than a pound so you don't have to remove bedding, sleeping bags, etc. takes up no space.

T.Wagner

No, it is pretty stock. I am running a 2" lift with 31s which may go to 32s when I have to change tires someday. Overall that is how I plan to keep it so maybe the extra weight won't be all too bad for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78