Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

Gonzzo

Observer
Name your price!.....

In all seriousness, you do outstanding work!, your dedication to these projects is un matched by anyone i know.

I admire your craftsmanship and commitment, thanks for all you have done!.....

Now, name your price!.....lol.

I tell you what, i will drive to you, hand over my hard top and some cash (name your price)and I'll get off your case.......deal?.

Thank you!.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Name your price!.....

In all seriousness, you do outstanding work!, your dedication to these projects is un matched by anyone i know.

I admire your craftsmanship and commitment, thanks for all you have done!.....

Now, name your price!.....lol.

I tell you what, i will drive to you, hand over my hard top and some cash (name your price)and I'll get off your case.......deal?.

Thank you!.

Thank you, but I really don't do work for hire. I do these projects because I enjoy designing creative new things that nobody else has done before, and I build them to prove the concepts and I do them to standards to make me happy. A lot of times I design and build things I have no use for but I'm intrigued by the design challenge so I do them anyway. Everything in this thread is a perfect example - I don't have a 2dr JK, but this modular hardtop, the quick release windows, the hinged window idea, all of that is for the 2dr - I have no use for any of it, but it all seems like a fun design and fabrication challenge so I'm doing it. When I finish with everything in this thread I may sell the modular hardtop, but that would only be to make room for my next project, not because I have any interest in building things to sell. Or maybe I'll decide to buy a 2dr JK to just because I already have a modular hardtop for it :).

If companies (or individuals) like what I design and want to bring it to market, I'll be happy to explore that with them, but I rarely pursue companies to try to interest them in my designs. And I have no interest in or plans to go into business to sell products. This is my hobby, and I enjoy the design and fabrication process and that's why I do it.

Gonzzo

Observer
Understood.

I hope i didn't annoy or insult you with my offers.

I can understand your position and i admire it.

If in the future, you decide to get rid of the top, please keep me in mind.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Understood.

I hope i didn't annoy or insult you with my offers.

I can understand your position and i admire it.

If in the future, you decide to get rid of the top, please keep me in mind.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

No annoyance or insult at all, don't even think about it. I get asked several times a week by people if I'll build them something and my answer is always the same :).

If I decide to get rid of the modular 2dr hardtop, I'll let people know in this thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I picked up hinges for a swing-up window idea:

Exp2kHinge1_zpsk9vyzs9p.jpg

In the photo above I'm holding one of the hinges in place in front of the quick-release window prototype in the 2-dr modular hardtop. I've been hesitating about making up a swing-up prototype because I wasn't sure I wanted to drill holes for the hinges in the hardtop.

I've decided I will make a prototype swing-up, but to avoid drilling holes in the 2-dr modular hardtop for now, I'll make the prototype using a JKU hardtop panel. In this photo the hinges and latches are setting in place.

SwingUpHardware1_zpsgpvmgpow.jpg

If I like how the JKU prototype works, then I'll probably make a set for the 2-dr modular top.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's still a bit of a work in progress, but I'm just about done with a swing-up "window" proof-of-concept. I did this first one using a 4-door hardtop panel, and I used a solid panel rather than tinted plexiglass because I've got the solid material on hand and it will prove the concept, a plexiglass proof-of-concept would be next. I don't have enough of the correct weatherstrip on hand yet, so I've just short pieces of it at key points to get the dimensions right. The 2-door hardtop behind the test panel is just a handy place to lean the panel against for the photos...

SwingUpPOC1_zpsdof4xxjr.jpg

So far so good, although I'd like to find slightly better hinges than these, and these keyed latches are just what I have on hand, not necessarily what I'd like to use for a more final version. Also a small gas strut to hold it in the open position would be a better idea than my long arm.

This concept requires no modification to the hardtop except for drilling holes for the hinges. The factory window could be glued back in place in the future if the swing-up window was removed.

The photos below show the proof-of-concepts of the quick release windows, so if you could imagine the solid panel swing-up done in tinted plexiglass with the hinges and latches you'll get an idea what a swing-up in plexiglass might look like.

QRWindowPOCs_zpshxljtntm.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Has anyone followed the steps in this thread to create their own modular hardtop? Or is anyone planning to?

I'm just wondering if it's worth photographing, documenting and posting projects like this in the future.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I am planning to. I have a J30 and I would like an alternate modular top for times when I am not doing a lot of camping. Would be easy to store etc. I just can't get to it until after the new year. But I think these types of threads are invaluable to us dreamers, that don't have your talent, for inspiration and confidence to try new projects. So I for one would greatly appreciate it if you kept doing these type of write ups.

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
I enjoy all your projects Jeff even if I don't post much on some always nice to see how it all goes down. Keep it up!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger