Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Mine doesn't require hardly any "tucking". I just lower it most of the way and then make one walk around the Jeep pushing it in.

And mine doesn't need extra struts either. The first night I used it I lowered the post inside, just because I thought that's what I had to do. Ever since then I haven't even bothered with that because the top stays up on its own.

Mine doesn't require any tucking at all, other than at the back while I am lowering the roof.

I always use the interior post because it makes all the fabric nice and tight, so it's more rain proof for those torrential downpours.

As for using it daily for 6 months... I'm over 7 months now sleeping in it every single night (and setting it up virtually every single day) and it's going great!

-Dan

Bam2413

Observer
Thanks to all your input on this thread I ordered my J30 last night. Went with color matched top (anvil) and sliding rear windows for our 4 legged friend. Sound like I am out until May shipped to Minnesota. Can't wait!!!!

Yuke

Adventurer
Has anybody ever seen any discounts on these?

Please post pics when you get it as my jeep is anvil.

rubicon91

Explorer
That Mojave sand one that Ursa Minor posted on their instagram page last week looked awesome. I would love a J30!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cowboybirder

Observer
My J30 set to ship Monday

Thanks to all your input on this thread I ordered my J30 last night. Went with color matched top (anvil) and sliding rear windows for our 4 legged friend. Sound like I am out until May shipped to Minnesota. Can't wait!!!!

I talked with John yesterday and my J30 should ship Monday. My wife and I can hardly wait after drooling over all the J30's out there for over 2 years. Will post pics as soon as its installed.

MizMoosie

Observer
Number 87 here. Northern Minnesota at an entry point to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness on March 1st. Having coffee on a beautiful 5 F morning before loading the toboggan for a 4 day trek into the wilderness.
20170302_083624-M.jpg

20170302_094526-M.jpg

One technique I use to lower the top is to place a cylinder of closed cell foam between the top and the Jeep. I can then arrange to sides of the J30 to fit nicely under the top before latching it down.
20170302_090748-M.jpg

Presto88

Adventurer
I like the idea of using something to block it just slightly open. I'm usually struggling to get it as low as I can without having it shut all the way.

Bam2413

Observer
Glad to see another northerner with the J30. We will be making a trip up to that neck of the woods when we get it installed so if you have any good Ursa Minor spots let me know! Do you keep it on all winter long?

Last edited:

MizMoosie

Observer
Glad to see another northerner with the J30. We will be making a trip up to that neck of the woods when we get it installed so if you have any good Ursa Minor spots let me know! Do you keep it on all winter long?

I keep it on all the time. And yes, I have found some good spots to pop the top and spend a night! Let me know when you have it installed.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
My wife and I love to travel in our JKU. We have tried ground tents and feel that we have grown out of that. So then we bought a Livinlite 5.0 (jeep trailer) pop up. We really thought that was going to be the answer we were looking for but the fact that pulling a trailer deep into the bush and lugging it across country proved to be more of a hassle that we like. The pop up was nice because you could stand up in it but that was about it for me so it is gone. We have been looking at teardrops also but we keep coming back to the J30! I like the fact that when running down the road or trail it does not take anything away from the ride and drive of the Jeep, Is that true? I like how simple it is. I have a couple questions for the group please.
For 2 adults that are 50+ average build is there enough room be comfortable up there or you "spooning" all night?
Getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break... It sounds like a really big deal, any thoughts?
And just the act of climbing into the back of the Jeep then threw the hatch with a fridge and other gear in the back.
I know that everything is a compromise. My Jeep JK will never be a 40' motor home and I love the face that it can take us to the most amazing places on the planet. I just need a little push over the edge to place my order!

Thanks for the input!

Boat.man

MizMoosie

Observer
My wife and I love to travel in our JKU. We have tried ground tents and feel that we have grown out of that. So then we bought a Livinlite 5.0 (jeep trailer) pop up. We really thought that was going to be the answer we were looking for but the fact that pulling a trailer deep into the bush and lugging it across country proved to be more of a hassle that we like. The pop up was nice because you could stand up in it but that was about it for me so it is gone. We have been looking at teardrops also but we keep coming back to the J30! I like the fact that when running down the road or trail it does not take anything away from the ride and drive of the Jeep, Is that true? I like how simple it is. I have a couple questions for the group please.
For 2 adults that are 50+ average build is there enough room be comfortable up there or you "spooning" all night?
Getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break... It sounds like a really big deal, any thoughts?
And just the act of climbing into the back of the Jeep then threw the hatch with a fridge and other gear in the back.
I know that everything is a compromise. My Jeep JK will never be a 40' motor home and I love the face that it can take us to the most amazing places on the planet. I just need a little push over the edge to place my order!

Thanks for the input!

Boat.man

Good questions. When you stop by to check it out, I can offer some tips to make the midnight bathroom exit a little easier with 2 up top. I also carry a little folding stool to make entry and exit a little easier. So easy in fact that my 65lb poodle makes it look easy!

I simply forget it is on the Jeep. As you suggested, it is super nice to pull off in a national forest 2 track and make a quick home for the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger