Keep the Xterra or get a capped longbed pickup?

Anthony.V

Observer
Hey folks,

New to the forum. First post here so hopefully this is the right place for this!

Currently, intended use for the vehicle is short duration, "off the beaten path" trips with ambitions for longer trips further out over moderately difficult terrain in the near future.

Right now we load everything in the back of the Xterra and camp in a tent, with one, mostly successful overnight sleeping inside it, backseat removed on a airbed.

I'm honestly fine with sleeping in the tent, it's the fuss of putting it up, and taking it down, especially in inclement weather that's got my gears turning. That, and I see what I think might be some big advantages to sleeping in something "hard sided" when venturing to places with high wind, or other bad conditions. As well being able to stop in rest stops, to, well, rest. And the convienance of having a instant shelter anywhere is really appealing!

The question though:

"Is trading a otherwise perfectly sufficient for my uses vehicle to gain those perceived advantages worthwhile?"

I'm sure at least a few on this forum may have found themselves in a similar "dilemma," and I would be grateful to hear what might have swayed you one way or the other?

Possible candidates at this point would be f150 or one of the other "1500" range vehicles. Im thinking single cab 2 door with 8ft bed (to accommodate my 6 " 3 length when lying down) 4x4 obviously. Wanting to stick with single cab to keep the wheelbase from being too astronomical for tighter spots.

All thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated!

saint urho

Yep. I also have an Xterra, and also contemplate being able to sleep inside for the reasons you mention, but, primarily to stop and rest without setting up camp. I'm keeping the Xterra, and will consider upgrading our little pop-up trailer to a micro-size hard size trailer (boler or such) for the time being. For my future vehicle I'm considering a travel van of some sort. Most of my trips currently are weekends, if the weather, or other situation demands I can just pack up and go home. Future trips of 1-2 months duration will require an ability to stick-it-out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
From a "need" perspective, your Xterra is just fine. Capable and adequate.
-
But I understand from a Want perspective, some of those things can get annoying. If I were in your shoes, I would most definitely trade for a truck. It's just a more versatile platform. Plus, the config you're looking at is probably not super expensive. I'd go with an XL package and 3.5L NA v6. Then add in a rear locker. Spec out a decent high shell. Done.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We have been fortunate to own a truck and several Jeeps and now the Montero at the same time, I have learned that the truck is far more comfortable on long drives and very easy to sleep in without setting anything up. Between fishing and hunting I spend about 30-35 nights a year sleeping in the truck, much warmer and quieter than a tent and near zero setup time. If I were to add up the number of hours this saved me it is a no-brainer, not to mention the frustration of setting up a tent and taking it down in unpleasant weather. We won't even get into how handy just having a truck can be. Unless you "need" a shorter wheelbase rig for harder/tighter trails then you will be far happier with the truck, not to mention the decent mpg the newer trucks get vs your current rig.

Halligan

Adventurer
Just a thought but have you considered a RTT for your Xterra. While it's still a tent it is quicker to set/take down and your off the ground. Plus you can keep your bedding in it while going from site to site.

tennesseewj

Observer
I take it this is not your daily driver? Adjusting from an SUV to a regular cab would be a tough transition for people that haul kids, clients, or other seatbelt needy occupants...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Think you'll be more comfortable in the pickup. I have done both over the years, always preferred the truck.

8' bed will feel cavernous compared to the Nissan.

Some ideas in here:http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/23272-Lets-see-some-quot-set-up-quot-Regular-Camper-shells

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/truck-bed-camping/

I like a cot with a pad over a permanent built in bed platform, it has a little more give than a solid platform. Use Roll-A-Cots, they don't have a center leg, goes easily over wheel wells, plus they pack down quite small when not in use.

https://www.camptime.com/

I take it this is not your daily driver? Adjusting from an SUV to a regular cab would be a tough transition for people that haul kids, clients, or other seatbelt needy occupants...

Maybe he is like me, and doesn't need any of those things?

Hauling "clients"??? Is that code for picking up hookers? *chuckle* :D

Just a thought but have you considered a RTT for your Xterra. While it's still a tent it is quicker to set/take down and your off the ground. Plus you can keep your bedding in it while going from site to site.

RTT's are cool...hard to stealth camp in them though. Sounds like he wants to stealth camp a bit.

Last edited:

p nut

butter

I've wanted to like RTT's. Almost bought one on several occasions. Just can't justify the price over a ground tent. Nor the heavy load so high. I understand the advantages. Just not for me. Plus, the OP wants to stealth camp, which you can't do in an RTT. He also mentioned something hard sided for inclement weather conditions (although I think a quality RTT will handle this just fine).
I see so many trucks with RTT's running around these days. Mostly Tepui tents. Guess if it gets people out, that's great. I'm still rocking my trusty REI tent with a queen air mattress.

Think you'll be more comfortable in the pickup. I have done both over the years, always preferred the truck.

Some ideas in here:http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/23272-Lets-see-some-quot-set-up-quot-Regular-Camper-shells

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/truck-bed-camping/

I like a cot with a pad over a permanent built in bed platform, it has a little more give than a solid platform. Use Roll-A-Cots, they don't have a center leg, goes easily over wheel wells, plus they pack down quite small when not in use.

https://www.camptime.com/

Some pretty cool set ups there. I wish they'd make a Tacoma with an 8' bed. My old Taco with a 6' bed was ok, but still cramped even for me at just under 6'. Guess then again, with a truck that long, then it just makes sense to go full-size. That would be a killer set up, though. Couple of cots/sleeping platform, cargo room for days, on a high-clearance 4x4 chassis.

Last edited:

Anthony.V

Observer
I'm keeping the Xterra, and will consider upgrading our little pop-up trailer to a micro-size hard size trailer (boler or such) for the time being. For my future vehicle I'm considering a travel van of some sort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considered a small, light, hard sided offroad trailer. Two issues for me on that though. The first being nowhere to park it where I live. Second, it's more a personal thing, but I've never liked the idea of wheeling with a trailer. Plenty seem to do it successfully, but I don't think it's for me.

I've also gotten excited over the idea of doing a converted van like a Quigley. But even a well aged example devoid of camp gear are incredibly expensive. In my view at least.

It's just a more versatile platform. Plus, the config you're looking at is probably not super expensive. I'd go with an XL package and 3.5L NA v6. Then add in a rear locker. Spec out a decent high shell. Done.

Yeah, that's essentially my train of thought. I want to get a stripped "work truck" model with 4WD and add body protection etc as use necessitates.

We have been fortunate to own a truck and several Jeeps and now the Montero at the same time, I have learned that the truck is far more comfortable on long drives and very easy to sleep in without setting anything up. Between fishing and hunting I spend about 30-35 nights a year sleeping in the truck, much warmer and quieter than a tent and near zero setup time. If I were to add up the number of hours this saved me it is a no-brainer, not to mention the frustration of setting up a tent and taking it down in unpleasant weather. We won't even get into how handy just having a truck can be. Unless you "need" a shorter wheelbase rig for harder/tighter trails then you will be far happier with the truck, not to mention the decent mpg the newer trucks get vs your current rig.

All good points, and many the same thoughts I had that got me thinking about it. Great to have them validated by somebody thats actually done it though!!

There are a few places here with some pretty tight switchbacks that I was grateful for the Xterra's 103" wheelbase. But in all fairness, I've seen pictures of quad cab trucks on those trails. So they must manage somehow. Also the forrest service use trucks very similar to what I've got in mind, and they seem to manage.

The RTT was actually the go to idea when we picked up the Xterra. After more thought though, there were some concerns.

Namely, adding a 150+lbs of weight to the highest point of a vehicle with a pretty high center of gravity to begin with. I typically try and avoid sphincter tightening roll angles, but if you hit a obstacle you can't bypass, could be an issue, maybe not. What's your guys thoughts on this?

Next is wind. I've got a friend with a Tacoma who bed mounted a RTT on his truck. Really nice setup, but he's said in instances where wind picks up, it can feel pretty unsettling. And that was bed mounted. I imagine the problem being exacerbated actuality mounted to a roof. And high winds can be a pretty common occurrence here on the coast.

Weight, is another concern. My wife and I are both hefty individuals. Most will say it's not a concern if it's distributed through cross bars on the rack. But I can't help but bet unsettled by it.

Fuel economy. The Xterra is already a "smiles per gallon" kind of vehicle lol. But I can't imagine dragging that big box through the wind, on trips that require lots of highway driving is going to be helpful.

Lastly, "stealth camping" as mentioned. I'll elaborate in a minute on that though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nope. This is definitely an adventure vehicle first and foremost. Have a prius for the daily grind, which actually involves about 150+miles a day of driving.

We have used the back seats of the Xterra for people literally less than a handful of times. But lack of rear seating is a HUGE point of contention with the wife on this endeavor by the way lol But if I can clear that hurdle, I know next time we get howling wind and driving rain, she'll appreciate foregoing setup of the kite.... Er... Uh... Tent lol

RTT's are cool...hard to stealth camp in them though. Sounds like he wants to stealth camp a bit.

Thanks for the links, and the advice!

And yes. Stealth camping is a major added benefit for me here. While there is usually a national park to setup a tent along the highway, on long road sections it would be brilliant to be able to just pull into a rest stop beside the truckers and crawl in back and actually rest lol

There are always motels/hotels, but I'd rather use that money to fill the fuel tank and keep the trip going!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're considering a full size single cab pickup with an 8' bed, let me throw a pitch in for a Suburban. It has the same footprint as a single cab long bed truck and an unobstructed 8' sheltered space behind the seats with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd row flipped down:
2016_0206_152202AA_zps0n6q9ocn.jpg

The tape measure doesn't lie: 96" from the back of the folded down 2nd row:
2016_0206_152258AA_zpsmop07tdc.jpg

Advantage of this over a pickup is that you can turn it back into an SUV if you need to carry passengers. Also the interior is sealed against weather and dust, whereas your pickup bed will fill with dust if you drive on dusty roads, and the entire rear compartment of the 'Burb is climate controlled, again as opposed to the pickup where it is not.
Another thing you will discover when you start shopping: Brand new, pickups are usually less expensive than their SUV counterparts (that is a Silverado will cost less than a Suburban or Tahoe; An F150 will cost less than an Expedition, etc.) But on the used market they switch places: A heavily used, beat up, clapped out, high mileage pickup will sell for the same price as a fully loaded, low mileage "soccer mom" SUV. And if you can find that low-mileage, well cared for pickup, expect to pay anywhere from 20 - 50% more for it than you would an SUV with the same equipment and mileage. I've thought long and hard about why that is, but the reason doesn't matter, that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As for stealth camping, you can't get much better than a Suburban if you're "camping" in the suburbs. :sombrero: Put a curtain behind the driver's seat and cover the windows and you're good to go.

Anthony.V

Observer
If you're considering a full size single cab pickup with an 8' bed, let me throw a pitch in for a Suburban. It has the same footprint as a single cab long bed truck and an unobstructed 8' sheltered space behind the seats with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd row flipped down

The thought definitely crossed my mind. And with your points I may want to revisit the idea. It would certainly please my other half lol

The thing that put me off honestly was just the the idea of taking something with that much shear "heft," offroad. But your correct in that wheelbase wise, the footprint would seemingly be about the same.

Prior to the Xterra, the largest things I wheeled in were a Samurai and a Tacoma. So even the Xterra felt like a big jump in size at first lol. I suppose, in essence, I'm just trying to strike the best tradeoff in camper ability, and off road capability. Convenience and agility.

How has the Suburban been for you off the beaten path? Same question I suppose applies to those of you in full size trucks as well. I mean, I see them everywhere I've gone in the Xterra. So obviously the capability must be there. Just wonder what the experience is like? Stress level etc wheeling in a full size rig.

Thanks again for all the feedback! It's nice to be able to churn over these thoughts with others with real world experiences vs hypotheticals in my head!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the links, and the advice!

And yes. Stealth camping is a major added benefit for me here. While there is usually a national park to setup a tent along the highway, on long road sections it would be brilliant to be able to just pull into a rest stop beside the truckers and crawl in back and actually rest lol

You're welcome! Lotsa ideas out there, best of luck you'll figure it. A lot of mine was trial an error over the years. I really don't like putting tents up, no matter how quick and easy they are, and don't like sleeping on the ground either. With the truck bed setup....you just slide right in, already setup...nothing to fuss with. Like the cots, since you can use them outside when the weather is nice and sleep under the stars. Even if you decide to do a platform....those are still nice to have since the pack so small. Have a couple hammocks too.

I'll even use it at the house and sleep outside in the back yard when the weather is nice.

Since everyone seems to give advice on what they have and use, he is mine:

Have since moved on to a Wildernest...which gives me an option of stealth or quasi tent camping with a very quick setup. If it is super windy, I close it up and sleep in the bed.

14713661_10154666457704630_7404119941895749953_n.jpg

Out of production, but fullsize versions come up on CL every once and a while.

https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/6006982548.html

00p0p_8RF4FWzdjGy_600x450.jpg

They pack down pretty small.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/...-ford-f350-xlt-lariat-with-wildernest-camper/

16152288-770-0-700x525.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The thought definitely crossed my mind. And with your points I may want to revisit the idea. It would certainly please my other half lol

The thing that put me off honestly was just the the idea of taking something with that much shear "heft," offroad. But your correct in that wheelbase wise, the footprint would seemingly be about the same.

Prior to the Xterra, the largest things I wheeled in were a Samurai and a Tacoma. So even the Xterra felt like a big jump in size at first lol. I suppose, in essence, I'm just trying to strike the best tradeoff in camper ability, and off road capability. Convenience and agility.

How has the Suburban been for you off the beaten path? Same question I suppose applies to those of you in full size trucks as well. I mean, I see them everywhere I've gone in the Xterra. So obviously the capability must be there. Just wonder what the experience is like? Stress level etc wheeling in a full size rig.

Thanks again for all the feedback! It's nice to be able to churn over these thoughts with others with real world experiences vs hypotheticals in my head!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I've done very little "off roading" in the 'Burb but I've done a lot of dirt roads, fire roads and paved roads and it's been fine.
I've lived with pickups for years and my trucks have always had toppers or shells on them. One of the reasons I've come to dislike the truck-with-topper is because of access issues. Seems like Murphy's Law is going to dictate that the one time you really need an item or a piece of equipment, sure as hell it's going to be in the front of the bed area under the shell. Since you can only access the bed from the rear, that means you have to either unload a bunch of stuff or crawl over it in order to get what you need, and that can be a real pain. Having "win-doors" on your topper really helps with this, but if what you need is in the middle of the bed, you'll still be doing a lot of crawling and/or unloading.
One of the many nice things about the 'Burb is that with the back seats down and the truck in "cargo mode" I still have two side doors on the front that allow me to access the cargo very easily from the left or right front.
As far as weight goes, I think by the time you put in some kind of sleeping platform, the pickup with a shell isn't going to be significantly lighter than a 'Burb or Tahoe.
You have to accept that if you want a vehicle that is comfortable for sleeping in, you're going to lose some off-road ability, that's just the plain fact and there's no getting around it: A vehicle that can sleep 2 adults comfortably is not going to be a vehicle that is as nimble as a Jeep.
IMO the biggest drawback to going to a Suburban-sized vehicle is that when your significant other wants to bring along everything including the kitchen sink, you can no longer use the excuse that "we just don't have room for it." With the 'Burb, you always have room! :sombrero:

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Truck with 8 foot bed and a topper. Throw a rack on top of the topper with a rocket box and some mounts for bikes or skis or what ever.

or do this with a pipe rack
Dodge50b_zpsb5f03820.jpg

Tacoma_Car3.1480446334.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12