Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

shakazulu12

Here's one more input for you that hopefully will ease your mind.

My ambo is an '01 with the 7.3, running 35's on 4.10 gears. She's just shy of 10,000lbs and runs mostly on the daily 80hp Dptuner tune. If there's any decent hills, the egt will start to climb past 1200 sooner than I like (while going above 60mph). If I switch to the mountain tune (60 or 80hp, can't recall) the tranny holds gears longer and where I would normally see above 1200 egt now can barely reach 950 - 1000. I can also simply kick the OD off and cruise up at 55mph with similar (but slower) results.

I also towed a E350 Quigley from Portland to BC (about 10-11,000lbs) and using the tow tune made a big difference. I only drove it at 55mph (flat and hills) for the simple fact that I didn't feel safe going faster but the ambo had no problem pulling that weight uphills.

There ya go!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Thank you for that. Definitely exactly the info I was looking for regarding using a tune. I ran DP tunes on my 7.3 F350 and absolutely loved them, so that information really helps a ton. I also forgot that the powertrain was used in all kinds of RV platforms that were frequently overloaded while pulling toads, and you rarely hear of anyone not getting to their destination. Not sure why my mind thought "Ambulance" then immediately forgot about all the data out there for box trucks and RV's. Not having an intercooler on a diesel was just something I couldn't get my mind to let go of for no real reason. I'll likely have a ton more questions as I learn more, but reading this forum has been a huge asset.

FDM2012

Adventurer
With a max weight of 11,300lbs on my return trip, and still on stock dually tires that measure around 29'' tall with 4:10's, I just did a 2800 mile trip from Tampa, all through Texas hill country, and back to Tampa.
Albeit, the ambient temps were pretty much always below 70, my Egt's only approached 1200 (70mph) a handful of times while climbing some moderate grades. But still not satisfied, I just ordered a DP Tune to try, as opposed to the stock SCT tunes in my Livewire, and an ID tune.
I talked in depth with Justin at Dp Tuner about all of this, he firmly suggested that I run the 60HP Daily Econo. This will keep my EGT's down, while still having shift point improvements, and that as far as he knew, he was the only one writing tunes specific to non-Intercooled Econolines. (Bill Hewitt also highly recommends them.)
I am anxious to get it and see how it does. Eventually up on 35's, I would like to be able to tow up to around 4,000 every once in a while. (Future excursion auxiliary/motorcycle trailer :roost:) But without an Intercooler, I'm thinking AmboLander will most likely become a Meth addict, kicking in at around EGT of 1050 degrees on climbs and hard acceleration. It's only time and another $1500 to throw at it,,,,,, but I think in the long run, it will be worth it. Maybe later this year. I will report back after I run the DP Tuner tune. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

FDM2012

Adventurer
Update:

With the rig unloaded and probably back down to around 10,500lbs and with the DP Tuner 60HP Daily Econo tune, it screams!

The cackle is louder, and there is a bit more smoke when I really lay on it (can't wait to find some protestors....!!), but it has
so much more power. And, I ran it on the highway when it was close to 80 degrees outside, and my EGT's stayed between 800-900.

Hoping to go up to N. Georgia in a month or so, and that will be a good test for it on some decent climbs. Not serious, but decent.....

Although I have to feather the throttle a bit to get it to shift into 4th at 50mph or under, they seem improved, as well.
So, for my rig, I will ONLY run DP TUNER tunes from here on out.

Cheers

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Update:

With the rig unloaded and probably back down to around 10,500lbs and with the DP Tuner 60HP Daily Econo tune, it screams!

The cackle is louder, and there is a bit more smoke when I really lay on it (can't wait to find some protestors....!!), but it has
so much more power. And, I ran it on the highway when it was close to 80 degrees outside, and my EGT's stayed between 800-900.

Hoping to go up to N. Georgia in a month or so, and that will be a good test for it on some decent climbs. Not serious, but decent.....

Although I have to feather the throttle a bit to get it to shift into 4th at 50mph or under, they seem improved, as well.
So, for my rig, I will ONLY run DP TUNER tunes from here on out.

Cheers
I'm planning on getting a trailer in the next few weeks to tow my Jeep. I'm interested in seeing how mine handles it. I will have to tow it from Vegas to Georgia in Nov. Planning on towing it to Moab first as a trial. Anyone have any experience using their ambo as a tow pig?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

clarkh

Observer
Is it true?

Figure I'll put this here because we are all fond of these ambos. I thought that before Abitibi lays claim to the first pop-top ambulance, i'd post this up. Still some work to do but got the fabric installed this week.

poptop.jpg

clarkh

Observer
It's a mess inside right now as i finish the electrical and such. A full gut with all new cabinets and such. I'll post some up soon, maybe by end of week.

Abitibi

Explorer
I might have beat you to it ;)
2cd80d2883f096a22323fea01e6b25be.jpg

But I want details, looks amazing!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Anyone have any trouble finding the plug for a brake controller? Cant seem to find mine. Wondering if the conversion company deleted it.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Anyone have any trouble finding the plug for a brake controller? Cant seem to find mine. Wondering if the conversion company deleted it.

Disregard.... it was tucked way up and behind the big bundle of ambo wiring.

Im thinking about purchasing this F450 4x4 ambulance.
Had a question about the rear suspension on these. The back looks like its riding way too low, would that mean the airbag suspension is toast? Or the coils? Unless its stuck in the "kneeling" mode, seems to me like something isnt functioning in the back suspension. Anyone have any insights?

00J0J_6oarNqoXjjk_600x450.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Im thinking about purchasing this F450 4x4 ambulance. Had a question about the rear suspension on these.... Anyone have any insights?
Have the seller take phone pics of the labels/plaques on the door of the outdoor cabinet. Usually one by the drivers door. Those will have numbers, manufacture info etc. Build Dates as well. From that you can call the manufacture and get more accurate answers.

Have the seller take phone pics of the labels/plaques on the door of the outdoor cabinet. Usually one by the drivers door. Those will have numbers, manufacture info etc. Build Dates as well. From that you can call the manufacture and get more accurate answers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to have him send some more photos tomorrow, including a full side profile picture so I can make sure its not just the angle making it look low. Its also a single rear wheel, instead of a dually, which is different than any other F450 ambulance I have seen. So build information on it would be good to have all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998