Reefry's 1st Gen Tundra

AaronK

Explorer
Washington is jam packed with everything! My cousin might be moving up there so I'll be making a few trips up there if they do. I totally skipped over Mt Rainier on my roadtrip and I really want to go back and check it out.
Rainier is a good stop if you're into hiking. The best views in the park aren't accessible by vehicle. St Helen's is also pretty cool although the environment has recovered well and it doesn't have that raw destructive feel anymore

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

Observer
Make sure that you do install the new shocks in the rear, with the extra weight of the camper you will probably blow through the travel of those leaves if you hit anything at speed. The SOA Deavers are great but they do require a decent shock setup.

Sean

Reefry

Observer
Make sure that you do install the new shocks in the rear, with the extra weight of the camper you will probably blow through the travel of those leaves if you hit anything at speed. The SOA Deavers are great but they do require a decent shock setup.

Sean

I ended up getting the 10" stroke Fox shocks that the other guys on here are running. I'm keeping my bumpstops on as well so that I don't bottom out the springs.

I get to test everything out this weekend on a Mojave desert road trip! Should be about 150 miles of dirt we are going through so we'll see how everything handles.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow you wasted no time installing them. Looked like you got a nice bump in height. Did you get you the height you wanted? I think the shackle flip kit and extended shackles should be next on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefry

Observer
Wow you wasted no time installing them. Looked like you got a nice bump in height. Did you get you the height you wanted? I think the shackle flip kit and extended shackles should be next on the list.

I'm actually sitting too high and now I'm looking to lower it. I like the handling more at a lower height so that I feel less top heavy. My front coilovers came cranked wayyy up out of the box and feel really stiff so I want to lower those too.

The rear end feels pretty awesome with the new shocks installed.

0fb17ece01438c478bcfe38f769e7f23.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm actually sitting too high and now I'm looking to lower it. I like the handling more at a lower height so that I feel less top heavy. My front coilovers came cranked wayyy up out of the box and feel really stiff so I want to lower those too.

Nice. Glad you like it. One thing to keep in mind with those super extended travel shocks is keeping them within working range. Reason why you want a Little more lift is to keep the shock closer to its center meaning you have similar up and down travel at ride height.

If you lower it anymore. You are leaving yourself with very little up travel at ride height.

Also if you are not fully loaded now and feels to tall. I would see how they sit when loaded first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer

Shocks and springs look great. However, it looks like you don't have much shock travel left. It looks like you have about twice the distance between the bumps than you do left on your shock. Don't wanna bottom out and ruin your pretty new shocks.

As for your front, they will settle in after a few hundred miles. Let the shocks/springs wear in then make your adjustments. Enjoy the new ride! I cant wait to get my Fox's installed when I get home.

smokeysevin

Observer
Yep, The deavers are reallllly soft. Remember though that the shocks are angled so 1 inch of shock shaft does not equal 1 inch of travel. Ultimately the lower ride height is why I went cantilever, there isn't really a good mounting point for the shocks without cutting through the bed.

Sean

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yep, The deavers are reallllly soft. Remember though that the shocks are angled so 1 inch of shock shaft does not equal 1 inch of travel. Ultimately the lower ride height is why I went cantilever, there isn't really a good mounting point for the shocks without cutting through the bed.

Sean

He has a custom overland spring pack. Outside of frame is a good place for shocks if we went wider axle or different off set rims plus wheel spacers

Reefry

Observer
Nice. Glad you like it. One thing to keep in mind with those super extended travel shocks is keeping them within working range. Reason why you want a Little more lift is to keep the shock closer to its center meaning you have similar up and down travel at ride height.

If you lower it anymore. You are leaving yourself with very little up travel at ride height.

Also if you are not fully loaded now and feels to tall. I would see how they sit when loaded first.

I'm absolutely loving all of this up travel right now so I may just leave it alone as a trade off for handling. Also I always keep the truck fully loaded and ready to go 24/7 so this is the true height.

Shocks and springs look great. However, it looks like you don't have much shock travel left. It looks like you have about twice the distance between the bumps than you do left on your shock. Don't wanna bottom out and ruin your pretty new shocks.

As for your front, they will settle in after a few hundred miles. Let the shocks/springs wear in then make your adjustments. Enjoy the new ride! I cant wait to get my Fox's installed when I get home.

Here is Jose flexing out his Tundra with the same springs and shocks.

92b5c96594e6a969a2bad743740a7b8e.jpg

He runs without bumps and I'm keeping mine so I think I should be good to go! Its weird though it definitely looks like I'll bottom out the shocks before the bumps hit but I'll do some flexing on my part just to confirm.

Reefry

Observer

Sean

I'm trying to avoid cutting through the bed to savor my platform. Cantilever is my dream setup but I am beyond content with the way the current build is treating me. How does your cantilever setup feel?

tyv12

Adventurer
Looks awesome, got Allan springs last year and I am very disappointed in them, wish I would have waited for this pack

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm absolutely loving all of this up travel right now so I may just leave it alone as a trade off for handling. Also I always keep the truck fully loaded and ready to go 24/7 so this is the true height.

Here is Jose flexing out his Tundra with the same springs and shocks.

92b5c96594e6a969a2bad743740a7b8e.jpg

He runs without bumps and I'm keeping mine so I think I should be good to go! Its weird though it definitely looks like I'll bottom out the shocks before the bumps hit but I'll do some flexing on my part just to confirm.

That's side to side flex where the axle pivots left to right so it doesn't require much shock travel. So it's not a 1:1 wheel to shock travel

The main reason to have somewhat even travel more for day to day driving where the rear axle travels together. This is much closer to 1:1 travel when moving entire axle together.
It's surprising a soft pack and the fox is a very stiff shock so they seem to work really well together imo.

I tend to work my springs to the extreme side putting them into the negative arch aka danger zone. I have been doing it for years on my first gen runner with stock springs and have held up without much effect to spring ability to retain ride height.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looks awesome, got Allan springs last year and I am very disappointed in them, wish I would have waited for this pack

Yeah I remember when you got them. You never contacted alcan on what they could do?
Your experience was the reason why I didn't want to get a custom pack. After working out some questions I had. I'm glad I got picked to do some r&d on a production overland pack for us first gen guys

tyv12

Adventurer
I did contact them as I'm having multiple problems they just said buy some timbren load carrying bump stops... I was not impressed they couldn't have cared less

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12