AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

plaidwagon

Mario, is that a mini truck or full size 6' Habitat on the green Tundra? I was actually just daydreaming about this configuration, happy to see it works!

-Kyle
(from the Grand Junction offroad show)

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Mario, is that a mini truck or full size 6' Habitat on the green Tundra? I was actually just daydreaming about this configuration, happy to see it works!

-Kyle
(from the Grand Junction offroad show)

I think it's the mini-truck one. When I saw that truck in town there was a 1-2 inch gap from the outside of the bed rail to the beginning of the topper.

I've also been daydreaming about this setup. I'd love to have one on my first gen Tundra, since I keep getting skunked every time I've tried to buy a used fwc.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Kyle, that is a mini truck Tacoma Habitat on the Tundra. We have not compared the measurements to the new Full Size Habitat. Email me the inner and outer dimensions of the bed as measured from the top and I can confirm if it would be a match.

I think it's the mini-truck one. When I saw that truck in town there was a 1-2 inch gap from the outside of the bed rail to the beginning of the topper.

I've also been daydreaming about this setup. I'd love to have one on my first gen Tundra, since I keep getting skunked every time I've tried to buy a used fwc.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
It would seal you in somewhat but there is an access door on each side of the tent so a ladder would be possible. That is what the XOverland Team does. Our new bi-fold sleep platform that is shown in my full size pictures allows the sleep panel to be lifted up from the inside so access can be had to down below. Basically it is a matter of preference on how you want the access to work.

For those current Habitat owners that sleep 3-4 people, how does that work exactly with the slide in platforms? Perhaps it is a silly question, but with the way (I think) the sleeping platforms slide in, once you get everything in place, is everyone more or less "sealed in" the sleeping area (with 4 people)? Three people makes sense, as it leaves open one side to access the truck bed, but do you need to go to a side access/ladder set-up with 4 people? Just curious on how that would work best.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For those current Habitat owners that sleep 3-4 people, how does that work exactly with the slide in platforms? Perhaps it is a silly question, but with the way (I think) the sleeping platforms slide in, once you get everything in place, is everyone more or less "sealed in" the sleeping area (with 4 people)? Three people makes sense, as it leaves open one side to access the truck bed, but do you need to go to a side access/ladder set-up with 4 people? Just curious on how that would work best.

My idea was a bunk cot on the floor. Parents upstairs. But that only works with a 6ft bed

corprin

Adventurer
Does anybody really have one of these campers yet? I have seen a few pics by sponsored overland types and from the builder, but that's about it. I assume those were prototypes? I have money down on one of these units but the production date keeps being set back.

Is the lack of real world info because there are no AT Tacoma Habitats out in the back of beyond or because the owners are having so much fun that they don't have time to talk about it here?

Just got home from a 10 day trek across southern Utah and Colorado with the family in ours.

Thanks AT!! I'll get some pics uploaded when I don't have to chase the kiddos for a moment..... HA!!!

urbikesucks

Me and the family got back last wk from North Rim Bryce and Zion as well. No Habitats to be seen except ours and people were askin about it.

the406

Me and the family got back last wk from North Rim Bryce and Zion as well. No Habitats to be seen except ours and people were askin about it.

Kind of in need of more photos.....anyone? I am living vicariously through the lucky Habitat owners, so post a few pics! Interior shots are always welcome. Cool to see how people rig them for their needs.

Herrawesome

Kind of in need of more photos.....anyone? I am living vicariously through the lucky Habitat owners, so post a few pics! Interior shots are always welcome. Cool to see how people rig them for their needs.

It's pretty intimidating to post photos on here. I don't have anything lifted or fancy modifications. Everything is straight from the factory on my truck, but that is one of the reasons I love our Tacoma and Habitat.

It's pretty much a daily driver overlander. My wife and I share this one vehicle. It's a great off-road camper and daily commuter. It fits (barely) in our townhouse garage in the middle of the city.

We've made a few weekend trips, and we're currently in the middle of a summer adventure in the Rockies. The only issue we have is that the Tacoma bed is not watertight. We get a little water when driving in the rain. Otherwise, it's so awesome.

Inside we have a little fridge and potty. We have our gear in stackable bins that ride on the floor, but stack out of the way to give us some decent floor space. I don't have any cool slides or drawers. I did, however, hang some IKEA shoebox closet organizers from the top. They slide or stack when we're camped. At the moment we have everything pulled out for a good vacuum and scrub.
6781b1440859738c0a041f9f6ff883e4.jpg
05b67b269602ee120ac58f8505693cab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herrawesome

It's pretty intimidating to post photos on here. I don't have anything lifted or fancy modifications. Everything is straight from the factory on my truck, but that is one of the reasons I love our Tacoma and Habitat.

It's pretty much a daily driver overlander. My wife and I share this one vehicle. It's a great off-road camper and daily commuter. It fits (barely) in our townhouse garage in the middle of the city.

We've made a few weekend trips, and we're currently in the middle of a summer adventure in the Rockies. The only issue we have is that the Tacoma bed is not watertight. We get a little water when driving in the rain. Otherwise, it's so awesome.

Inside we have a little fridge and potty. We have our gear in stackable bins that ride on the floor, but stack out of the way to give us some decent floor space. I don't have any cool slides or drawers. I did, however, hang some IKEA shoebox closet organizers from the top. They slide or stack when we're camped. At the moment we have everything pulled out for a good vacuum and scrub.

Also, carpet or a bed rug makes it feel nice and cozy

SBDuller

good to see your fotos. stock truck and simple storage and keeping it as light weight as possible, works for me

dcwn.45

Observer
Question, is there a bug screen or door that closes the back when you are sleeping?
Or do you have to shut the tailgate and lid from inside?

Herrawesome

Question, is there a bug screen or door that closes the back when you are sleeping?
Or do you have to shut the tailgate and lid from inside?

We bought a mosquito bed net from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OPH5XU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FcNszbS5TWKEP. It's not fitted or cut to size. It just drapes over the lid and the extra material hangs down to the tailgate. It does a great job keeping bugs out but makes it annoying to get in and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman