3.73 vs 4.10 in a 3/4 ton

I will be moving back to the states soon and am in the market for a 2500 truck due to my growing family. I plan on adding a AT Habitat to the back and then create a camper inside the bed. I will keep the truck loaded at all times as I don't like to have to pack for the weekend and just want to get out there. Most of the trips will be just back roads with mild off-raod trails for now till I learn how well my kids do in the back. As for towing I will probably end up with a trailer at some point and tow at most 10,000 lbs if I get one. So with this in mind what does everyone think? Should I go for the 4.10s or is it going to be overkill.

ClovisMan

Observer
Honestly if you are going to be hauling around a lot of weight and going with a tire bigger than 33 inches, I would go 4.56 or 4.88.

wirenut

Adventurer
For towing 10,000 pounds there's no way 4.10 is overkill. You might even want lower gears than that. I'll guess you're looking at GM gas trucks. You can't buy a factory GM diesel with anything but 3.73. Most of the factory GM gas trucks will be 4.10.
My truck at work is a 2015 Chevy 3500 with the 6.0 gas engine and 4.10. I wouldn't want anything higher.

For towing 10,000 pounds there's no way 4.10 is overkill. You might even want lower gears than that. I'll guess you're looking at GM gas trucks. You can't buy a factory GM diesel with anything but 3.73. Most of the factory GM gas trucks will be 4.10.
My truck at work is a 2015 Chevy 3500 with the 6.0 gas engine and 4.10. I wouldn't want anything higher.

I've been looking at the RAM 2500 a bunch but I'm open to everything. It's going to be at least six months till I get a truck so I'm just trying to make sure I have all the information available as this will a truck I keep for a very long time.

MTCK

Observer
Just my opinion, but I'd look hard at a one ton if you are thinking 3/4 ton. Cost difference is minimal and you will want to squeak every pound out of the GCWR you can. I'm a big fan of short gears, but most of the new six and more speed autos give you a pretty deep first few gears to get rolling.

D45

Explorer
I ran a 6" lift with 37s on my old truck, which had 4.10 gears

With about 600hp on tap and a highly stout build 48RE trans, the gearing was not an issue

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4, with a Cummins

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Just my opinion, but I'd look hard at a one ton if you are thinking 3/4 ton. Cost difference is minimal and you will want to squeak every pound out of the GCWR you can. I'm a big fan of short gears, but most of the new six and more speed autos give you a pretty deep first few gears to get rolling.

Yep, this.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Depends on the truck config and engine imo. Gas or diesel? Ccsb or sclb?
Dad had a supercab longbed f250 with 4.11 and a v10. It was great for whatever. Hauled cars and antique tractors no problem.

A heavier truck will do better with steeper gears depending on the power at hand imo. I'm not sure if you meant new truck, or new to you truck, but options open up if you look at older models when we were actually given options in a purchase.

sid325

05 Ram 3500 diesel SRW, 35" Toyo's and 4.10's, been a great combo. I had 3.73's and with my auto, 48re, I lost the sweet spot going to 35's. I'd say get 4.10's.

Saharafire

I've got a 14 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 V8. Mine has 3.73 gears and 35" bfg ko2 tires. I regularly tow 8000 pounds with it and it tows great but I keep it locked out of 6th gear when towing. I think if it had 4.10 gears it would be about perfect. I'd go wth the lowest gears you can get factory. Especially if you are planning on a larger tire. I'm extremely happy with my 6.4 Ram though. It's been a great truck so far and tows very well.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the 1 Tons as I have noticed the difference in price is minimal. Looks like the best option is 4.10 out of the factory if possible.

Paddy

Adventurer
Real trucks use 4.10's. City trucks that run around empty with stock tyres use 3.73's. It's always been this way. These are the two main choices for gearing. If you need a ratio outside these two then you really have to look hard at the whole system. Often times 4.10's will seem too tall for huge tyres, but 4.56's or bigger can have other problems that may make them a poor choice.
Short story is, I'd bet if we did a poll the vast majority on this website regardless of vehicle and tyre size are running 4.10's.

Kaisen

Explorer
Real trucks use 4.10's. City trucks that run around empty with stock tyres use 3.73's. It's always been this way.

Since every single Duramax pickup built from 2001-2018 *ONLY* comes with 3.73's, they aren't "real trucks"?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Same with most new Superduty trucks.

Id say "real trucks" have no trouble with tall gears, unlike the older trucks that suffered with them.

Anymore, a higher output motor, better transmission (more gears), and taller axle gears are the way to go.

Power when you need it, and the tall gears to allow the motor to operate at lower RPMs on the highway for better MPG.

How about 35's without a lift or leveling kit.

6.2 gasser and 6-speed auto, it has more than enough power for these tires, even with the 3:73s

FullSizeRender.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger