Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Figured out the National Luna dual battery woes.... I swapped out the solenoid. Problem solved.....for now.... I still want to put the IBS system in at some point... BUT a $25 solenoid is easier and cheaper than almost $500....

enzo

Explorer
Figured out the National Luna dual battery woes.... I swapped out the solenoid. Problem solved.....for now.... I still want to put the IBS system in at some point... BUT a $25 solenoid is easier and cheaper than almost $500....

What type of issues were you having?

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Turns out there is a separate thread talking about failures on the NL controller due to heat. Wonder if it's a heat over time issue, or just sporadic failure.

Redman333

Adventurer
Turns out there is a separate thread talking about failures on the NL controller due to heat. Wonder if it's a heat over time issue, or just sporadic failure.

Got a link to this thread. I've been wanting a controller but don't want to spend the money if I'm going to have issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Got a link to this thread. I've been wanting a controller but don't want to spend the money if I'm going to have issues with it.

Not sure if its the controller, the brain unit? This is the 3rd solenoid.... the brain box had been replaced, too. Oh and the cable for the controller. With that mentioned, it WAS the original installed by Paul May many, many moons ago.... Paul was MORE than helpful with the replacement items. :)

My IBS system I installed in my Jeep.... ZERO issues or headaches. Fore and forget piece of gear. The battery link function connected EVERY time I tested it.

Chris, I've gotten into that thread before.... GREAT gouge there. Im considering relocating the NL unit for the time being... its a bit crowded now with the ARB compressor and SLEE bracket in the vicinity.

dcoy

Adventurer
I've had to replace both the solenoid and the control unit/monitor over the years on my NL.

Seconded. Had to replace solenoids on both the '60 and the FJC. I still am working on getting a short set of bypass jumpers to allow manual connection between the primary and aux batteries. Otherwise, if you're on a trip the aux drains down and everything on that circuit is offline. I used some jumper cables once, but I think the jumpers would be a better solution.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Agree on the jumpers... Ive never really carried them... I know pobably should... but thats why I do the dual battery setup... A mini set isnt a bad idea though...

dcoy

Adventurer
Agree on the jumpers... Ive never really carried them... I know pobably should... but thats why I do the dual battery setup... A mini set isnt a bad idea though...

The IBS, I believe, does not have a solenoid so it should not leave you high and dry like other systems (such as National Luna) that run on solenoids. Rather than changing over my system, I think the ability to manually connect them if and when the solenoids die is essential.

Redman333

Adventurer
Why not make a 2" jumper to go across the solenoid. That way you can manually engage the wire. Also you can put in a manual disconnect if you need to do the opposite and disconnect. Won't fix the issue but will be an easy way to temporarily fix a problem.

dcoy

Adventurer
Why not make a 2" jumper to go across the solenoid. That way you can manually engage the wire. Also you can put in a manual disconnect if you need to do the opposite and disconnect. Won't fix the issue but will be an easy way to temporarily fix a problem.

Yes Redman. "Short" jumpers is what I am referring to. In a pinch, on a trip, I was forced to use jumper cables since they were the only thing available. I assume you refer to doing the opposite if the solenoids die in the "open" position?

Redman333

Adventurer
Yes Redman. "Short" jumpers is what I am referring to. In a pinch, on a trip, I was forced to use jumper cables since they were the only thing available. I assume you refer to doing the opposite if the solenoids die in the "open" position?

8103963cc4808f7e34a5a29f1c388a3e.png

Use something like this permanently installed. This way if you're in the field and the solenoid gets stuck you can still jump the solenoid simply by closing this disconnect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman