M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Get confirmation on that 40k. I really doubt it has only done 40k especially since I think I know where that one came from. These trucks are exempt from reporting mileage so they are just taking the reading from the odometer on the dash. If it has had a new ECU it starts from 0. Run a car fax (probably nothing to report unless it had a fender bender) and if possible take the VIN to the freightliner dealer and get them to check their records. It is a bit suspect when the list 60k in one part of the ad and 40k in another. There are also 2 trip meters on the M2 odometers so make sure they have the total miles not one of those. You can also check that by getting a diagnostic unit hooked up and getting total miles reading.

Apart from that I think it is a good looking unit.

Hit me with a PM if you want to call and chat about it.

Phil_one1

Yes that is the one, I saw 60K in the add to and was thinking the there was something off. Will see if they are willing to bring it to the dealer to have inspection done and see what they can find out. thanks for the help.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yes that is the one, I saw 60K in the add to and was thinking the there was something off. Will see if they are willing to bring it to the dealer to have inspection done and see what they can find out. thanks for the help.

OK I did a bit of digging around. That unit has over 240,000 miles. I will PM you some more information.

pennersm

Observer
That unit has over 240,000 miles. I will PM you some more information

Big difference between 240 and 40K! Good looking out Oz!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just found about 6 cubic ft of unused space inside the box. It is in a hard to get at area but I am thinking it would be a great place for the inverter and transfer switch. I can fit a thematically controller computer fan and vent and even vent to the outside if required. Anyone have any reason this may be a bad idea? (Apart from terrible access if I have troubles with the components)

4ee80594c964e603d88915f15cd3e050.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Since you have a Medic-Master, that space was originally used for the module air conditioning evaporator & blower. The cutout on the left side was directly over the radio cabinet, which they used for an air return plenum. You had a vacuum pump on the left side wall that was used to operate the hot water valves. Here's a photo of what mine looks like

Hose line evaporator.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Good idea. I was even thinking of using the Anderson type plugs for the DC and using extension lead type plugs/sockets for the AC so that it is easily disconnected to take it right out of the truck to work on it. But either way I will make sure I use your suggestion of excess cable to allow it to be pulled back into reasonable

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Since you have a Medic-Master, that space was originally used for the module air conditioning evaporator & blower.

I removed the engine driven AC/heater to open that space up. It is the area to the left of where the AC used to sit that I am looking at gaining back. On the Yella truck the outside cabinet went all the way to the top. On this truck the outside cabinet ends 2 ft from the roof leaving this dead spot inside. I wish this one was open to the outside even if I had to use a ladder to reach the inverter.

rlrenz

Explorer
Standard ambulance inverters (Vanner) come with an Anderson connector already installed on their input cables. It's standard for one or more main cables to be plugged into the Vanner's GFCI receptacle, then those cables feed other equipment. If you install an ambulance inverter correctly, it can be removed and replaced in minutes with only a small wrench for the mounting bolts. Usually, the DC input cables are tie-wrapped to the Vanner's input cables so the connector won't come unplugged without cutting the tie wrap.

rlrenz

Explorer
That space under the roof just left of the AC equipment is usually wide open in most modules. A lot of wiring comes through that area, and it usually is best accessed by removing a warning light or scene light. If you remove both, you have one hole to look through, and one to work through. The space on the passenger's side of the AC equipment is also usually open as well.

If you're using a Vanner inverter, the 1FM1 Vanner inverter control module simplifies operating the inverter.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
So now the question is screw, glue or bolt. I am using stick on solar panel mounts which I have mounted with Sikaflex 252. I was considering only mounting the panels to the mounts with Sikaflex as well. But the redneck engineer in me is leaning towards either secure screws or bolts or a combination of Sika and mechanics fasteners.

Any words of wisdom??

b3484f0be34cf89c19b3dc56b9777e2f.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I would definitely make those panels removable. You may need to repair or replace one, and at some point you're going to need to clean under them.

Are you leaving an air space of 4" - 6" under them also?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
More like .5 or .6 inches. They have about an inch for the mounts and 1 1/4 for the frame. I would rather have the diminished capacity than extra height.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We have done the typical “Over engineered” the solar. On old Yella we had 20 amps of solar and that never let us down. On this truck we will have 900 watts of panels and an 80 amp regulator. Even with inefficiencies due to dirt/heat/bad orientation we should be fine. I am hoping there is enough to even give it trickle charge when sitting under trees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan