My project build/ Expo trailer.

HAFICON

Adventurer
So I got the brakes fixed, turns out my brother wored they to the Aux. battery. So when it finally died from powering brakes with no charge it made the controler go nuts. Low voltage has that effect. So after replacing what I though was a bad brake controler testing to no end. I realized the problem. Now everything is great.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I did drag the trailer out today. I have to say to go from Expo. To flat bed and back when needed is very useful. I just get crazy looks for having a monster flat bed rolling behind the Jeep.

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Flat bed is great option to have!! I've been thinking about adding a second flat bed trailer but you have the best of both worlds. Well done!

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks... now that the trailer is complete.. other thank chasing rust.. I am going to build a lift set up for the box, something that will be transportable. Probably use trailer jacks and have one at each corner. Just have to make the fron two wide enough that the trailer can drive out from under it.

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
I don't know if i missed it but what is the overall width of your trailer? Plus how wide are your fenders themselves. Also does it stick out past the width of the jeep?

Thanks

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great build to follow. Really appreciate you took the time to layout the whole process of what worked and what didn't.
Very helpful to folks like me who are just starting the "planning phase".
Thanks for the excellent thread! :beer:

HAFICON

Adventurer
I don't know if i missed it but what is the overall width of your trailer? Plus how wide are your fenders themselves. Also does it stick out past the width of the jeep?

Thanks

The wheel base is the exact same as the JK, I don't remember the number, the tires and fenders are flush. I will try to get the overall width ASAP, but it is the same as the JK fender flare to fender flare. The idea was so the trailer runs in the tracks the Jeep makes so I know what i'm driving over.

N/P
James

HAFICON

Adventurer
Great build to follow. Really appreciate you took the time to layout the whole process of what worked and what didn't.
Very helpful to folks like me who are just starting the "planning phase".
Thanks for the excellent thread! :beer:

Thanks man... It was a fun, challenging build. First real thing I ever welded or built. Luckily for me I had some great help, guy is 50 something has been doing welding and fab. all his life. He has all the tools one could need. Also a ton of knowledge. I certainly learned a lot about Squaring up stuff, and heat transfer.

More changes to come, I am building a 4 point lifting system for the box. Will have 4 legs with a jack at each corner, kinda like the old truck bed campers. Legs will be detachable and break down to fit inside the trailer tongue box that i also have to build... Or I might just buy a box who knows I really like the plastic ones, aluminum is way to much $$$.

Thanks,
James

HAFICON

Adventurer
So I weighed my trailer at work the other day, came in at around 1730lbs unloaded. That weight included my Teupi RTT about 150lbs and my portable fire pit probably 65lbs and spare wheel and 35" tire new. On a recent trip to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire the Jeep did have some stress on it. Engine temps were moving up but just did what I could to keep the RPMs down. I'm running a 2012 JKU auto 4.88 gears. I have considered building a new trailer but not sure, I can easily just cut the steel deck (3/16" plate) out and replace with wood plank that will drop 150-ish pounds. Just the trailer by it self should be around 1460 pounds only other way to drop a more significant amount of weight is build a new frame from a lighter steel.

What are some average trailer weights?

Thanks
James Blue

Trans NH.jpg

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
Mine fully loaded with camping gear, 4 person RTT, everything for camping minus water is right around 1150lb's

I did my weight savings by not doing a lid, instead I use 3 Pelican cases for all of my gear so its out of the elements, and I also didn't skin it with metal instead opting for HDPE for the floor and sides and it get bolted onto the frame.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Mine fully loaded with camping gear, 4 person RTT, everything for camping minus water is right around 1150lb's

I did my weight savings by not doing a lid, instead I use 3 Pelican cases for all of my gear so its out of the elements, and I also didn't skin it with metal instead opting for HDPE for the floor and sides and it get bolted onto the frame.

Just checked out your build, nice simple and effective... I certinally have to find a way to drop weight, if I build a new frame I will probably go 1/8" wall 1.5 x 3" Square. My cargo box is 2x2" square 1/8" wall, ply wood walls with paper thin aluminum tread plate for looks. Lid is 1.5 x 3" square 1/8 wall frame with PVC board.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well after serious debate and dragging around this lump of iron this weekend I think I am going to scrap it and start a new build.

What I have in mind:

New frame: 2x2 1/8" wall square tube (current frame is 2x3 1/4" wall)

New deck: Probably wood plank (current is 3/16" plate)

Cargo box: I plan to carry over the current removable box 2x2 1/8" steel square tube box, but break it down replace the 1/2" pressure treated wood walls with 1/2" PVC sheet. Re-use the paper thin aluminum sheet. Build the lid frame out of aluminum. The roof is currently PVC sheet, it will carry over to the aluminum lid. The rear barn doors got damaged thinking about building them as well from aluminum.

Axle: Keeping the current axle, Rockwell American 3500lb with electric brakes.

Hitch is a Max Coupler it will as well move to the new trailer.

Should I consider reducing the load capacity of the springs? Currently at 1750 each, I don't what the trailer when empty to be bouncing around when I hit a bump.

Thoughts or suggestions? My first build went seriously overboard I did not realize how quickly all that weight added up and was thinking I needed an indestructible frame for off road abuse, which that trailer never does see. I got more so out of the off road scene and into the extended trips/camping.

Thanks,
James

sumwhereinajeep

I really like your ideal for the removable cargo-to-flat bed set up! still in the planning stages as I plan to build one in the spring of 2018.

New to this forum and trying to figure out how to sub to threads, so sub'ed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12