'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Dialed in my alignment a little.
Was having some wondering and oversteer issues. Apparently the Heim joint and uniballs on these LT setups are so tight that OEM camber settings are too far set back. Caster needs to be closer to the 2.5-3.5 mark instead of at 4-6*
Much easier to keep in the lane now :)

Had plenty of fun shallow snow wheeling to be had here in the Eastern Sierras this year. Quite the contrast from last years EPIC quantities.
I mostly like to snow-wheel the Runner. Its smaller profile lets you get way looser on the tight treed trails in the forest, plus its beadlocked so i can air down to 0psi if i need to really get unstuck

IMG_6862_zps7494aapq.jpg

IMG_6892_zpsl9z8jj4b.jpg

IMG_6893_zpsohozqzjn.jpg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Dialed in my alignment a little.
Was having some wondering and oversteer issues. Apparently the Heim joint and uniballs on these LT setups are so tight that OEM camber settings are too far set back. Camber needs to be closer to the 2.5-3.5 mark instead of at 4-6*
Much easier to keep in the lane now :)

I think you mean caster...?

I'm surprised that reducing caster helped. Usually high caster helps self-centering, rather than hindering. Though if it gets too high I can see your steering and cornering might get weird.

What was the caster on your previous setup?

zidaro

Explorer
I think you mean caster...?

I'm surprised that reducing caster helped. Usually high caster helps self-centering, rather than hindering. Though if it gets too high I can see your steering and cornering might get weird.

What was the caster on your previous setup?

5.6?

yes- CASTER! im an idiot, important to never forget that one tidbit :drool: fixed, thank you.

the joints are so tight it doesn't want to let it return to center, so your constantly making tiny adjustments with the caster set high. Pulling back closer to upright seems to have helped remove the twitch. Opposite of logic i believe.

rruff

Explorer
Interesting, seems like the high caster caused some binding in the joints, maybe? Glad you got it sorted!

I'm not in the market for LT, but every time I see a Tundra with 37s, I wish I'd got those instead of 35s....

zidaro

Explorer
I do like the size. 37s really fit the truck, and feel great under it esp with the 4.88 gearing and 5.7 Perfect match.

IMG_6896_zps8cdummdv.jpg

IMG_6885_zpsswod9vxy.jpg

IMG_6889_zpsy3ekwezm.jpg

i do, however, need to trim the rear fenders before they officially take themselves out. I told myself i was going to take it easy and not compress the suspension before i put the hydro bumps on, and trim the rear- bu that is proving harder than i thought :roost:

started playing with this! guess where this is taking me?

IMG_6895_zpsmdji5ckp.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
SOUND!!!

Original plan, 2 years ago now, was to upgrade the sound in the Tundra bet keep an OEM look to the dash- keeping the stock non-JBL head unit.
Well, that thing is a piece of crap I've decided, and it has nothing exciting to offer considering what you can pick up these full DVD non-nav. HU for nowadays.

Found a 2017 Pioneer (it was Pioneer or Kenwood or nothing) AVH-4200NEX for dirt cheap from Sonic Electronix including a huge rebate. couldn't pass it up.
Has Apple CarPlay, a good screen, DVD, USB, full toyota steering wheel integration, and most important- great reviews. I am adding a rear camera to the HU (likely IR and mounted to the pop-top), but keeping my toyota rear view mirror BU camera separate.

IMG_6898_zps5ltxmst1.jpg

all wired in with necessary adapters- OEM xm antenna, SiriusXM SXV300v1 , rear camera off Amazon, BelvaBBTR-1 NAV/VIDEO bypass , Scosche TA02B toyota OEM plug harness. Bought the "aftermarket HU install kit from Tacotunes. https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-t...a-tundra-aftermarket-stereo-installation-kit/ makes for simple integration into the steering wheel controls (i hope ;) )- comes with Charcoal Dash trim kit but DOES NOT INCLUDE the aftermarket OEM dash plug harness?? so don't forget to buy that.

IMG_6900_zpsc1iwbvto.jpg

picked up some Limited JBL front door sail panels with the tweeter holes. Trimming in grills for the component speakers. Used a dremel with a sanding drum, easy peavy. Glued them in with blk shoe goo and contact adhesive.

IMG_6899_zpslfrwhdzn.jpg

more to come!

zidaro

Explorer
BTW- I have ZERO experience installing stereos into vehicles. :costumed-smiley-007

but there is a lot of info on the intra net!

zidaro

Explorer
and a quick refresher!

Aug 2015 LOL!

all 4 doors and rear of cab got the full treatment of Second Skin insulation. Damplifier Pro(sound vibration/road noise) http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/ on all the outer sheet metal panels then thick MLV -Luxury Liner Pro(noise and THERMAL insulation) http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro/ hanging between the inner sheetmetal and the plastic door panels

also picked up some butyl rope for speaker mounts, etc...

DSC_1142_zpsciadkei5.jpg

DSC_1144_zpshptnzfpz.jpg

DSC_1146_zpscemgi6ym.jpg

mounted the JBL Tundra specific sub/box behind the seat. Found it used for a good price and its the easy way out for a compact sub-box. 13" sub., 4ohm, 600W, Sealed box, only costs 1 notch on the seat slide. Its made a very nice place to set stuff ontop of for the last 2 years :)
http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216.103634.6683.19307.1092245/Toyota_Tundra_CrewMax_'07-'13

DSC_1147_zpsi59e72ou.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
Just saw this build. Lawd jesus its purty! Dude nice job and love what you did with the truck. Best looking tundra I've seen in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12