Importing a trailer into the U.S.

slvyj

Observer
Has anyone ever imported a trailer into the U.S.? I'm currently station in Europe and while camping is nothing like the states, I do have a need for a trailer and I was thinking of buying a South African manufactured trailer. I would use it for a couple years in Europe and then return with it to the States. To use it in Europe, it will have to meet European specs, which is not a problem, the importer will take care of meeting European specs. The problem I see is importing into the U.S., according to CBP website, the orginal equipment manufacure has to certify the vehicle meets U.S. requirements. I'm trying to figure out what is involved in meeting U.S. requirements for trailers.

mudraider

Adventurer
Hmmm. If it came down to it. I'd break it down into parts if you found something really worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You mention you are in-service in Europe.

Check with the military concerning your ability to "import" the trailer back to the states when you re-deploy back to the states. There might be some rules that will allow you as active military to import the "European Spec" trailer when your return to the States that other none military personnel might not be able to take advantage of.

It worth a try!

slvyj

Observer
You mention you are in-service in Europe.

Check with the military concerning your ability to "import" the trailer back to the states when you re-deploy back to the states. There might be some rules that will allow you as active military to import the "European Spec" trailer when your return to the States that other none military personnel might not be able to take advantage of.

It worth a try!

When I return the States, I don't have to pay any duties but it will still have to meet U.S. specs.

john61ct

Adventurer
The US gov / insurance regulations are minimal on consumers.

Look at the millions of homebuilts on the road.

Varies by state.

Bring in as parts.

Essayons

I would look at have the government bring it back for you. I'd see what it would take to make it US DOT compliant, and either JUST before you PCS back, you convert it over, or have the associated items in a box in the trailer so it can be done when it hits the US. If you have your own POV, call the auto mover and see how much hassle it would be. The trailer shouldn't have that much to put on it or change out. Here's a link for cars but it does give a place to go for questions.. https://www.army.mil/article/152225...eem_complex_but_doesnt_need_to_be_complicated

skyfree

My Escape trailer was purchased in BC and imported. Best bet it to check with the state you intend to register it in because getting it past customs is only step 1. We had to use an agent to take it across the border for us, but I never asked why. Step 2 is taking the custom stamped paperwork and registering it, paying tax, and getting plates. For California there is a long list of safety items and every imported trailer has to have a VIN stamped somewhere now. Here are the things needed for trailers in California:
It took months to get our plates and about 3 hours at DMV even with an appointment. Once DMV has your paperwork and fees, they send it to the main office in Sacramento for further review before issuing plates. Once we got those plates we breathed a big sigh of relief.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Unless the trailer is 25 years old it will have to meet US specs. Only authorized converters can work on the trailer to bring it up to US standards and that option is prohibitively expensive. Breaking the trailer down and reassembling the trailer to register as a home build is full of issues. It would opened you up to full liability should the trailer be in an accident, or if a component fails and causes injury and the component does not meet US standards.

I’m not sure about current regulations for US servicemen in Europe but they used to be able to import US standards vehicles into Europe while on deployment. If that’s the case have the manufacture build you a US spec trailer.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My Escape trailer was purchased in BC and imported. Best bet it to check with the state you intend to register it in because getting it past customs is only step 1. We had to use an agent to take it across the border for us, but I never asked why. Step 2 is taking the custom stamped paperwork and registering it, paying tax, and getting plates. For California there is a long list of safety items and every imported trailer has to have a VIN stamped somewhere now. Here are the things needed for trailers in California:
It took months to get our plates and about 3 hours at DMV even with an appointment. Once DMV has your paperwork and fees, they send it to the main office in Sacramento for further review before issuing plates. Once we got those plates we breathed a big sigh of relief.

Two points to make here.

1) Canadian vehicle standards are identical to US standards and the VIN label the manufacture makes can state that the vehicle meets the standards for both countries.

2) Don’t get confused between Federal and State requirements. Many people have registered vehicles with their State that do not meet Federal standards, but that does not make them legal. It still leaves the owner open to liability, and it still leaves the owner open to having their coverage cancelled. Bringing anything into the US is regulated by the Federal government and it’s not over as far as they are concerned just because you managed to register the vehicle.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Insurance company may send someone to inspect it before insuring it. They will want to see any and all receipts concerning the camper.

Inspection of the trailer by the insurer "could" only happen if you choose to purchase "Comprehensive or Collision" insurance coverage for the trailer as liability insurance coverage cannot be purchased for a trailer by itself. Liability coverage for the trailer is extended from the tow vehicle liability insurance policy coverage as noted in a post above.

This happens with ANY trailer you hook up to your tow vehicle inspection or not!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78