Ok folks Kodiak or Springbar ?

JR Greenhorn

I was looking at Springbars and was ready to buy a couple years ago, when I came across Jumping Jack Tent Trailers. The trailer setup met my needs better.

The tent on these (about 8'x12') is very similar to the Springbar design, and the canvas materials seem to be very similar as well.

When I bring my tent trailer home wet (most trips), I just set it up in the yard at home. Sometimes it gets rained on for days; sometimes I don't get to it to take it down until the next weekend. The canvas will soak through when packed wet, but once up again it won't leak. I just leave it up until it's good and dry, then I take it down. I seems to be better for the canvas to dry under tension anyway. Those of you with Springbar or Kodiak tents might try drying them this way instead of hanging them in the garage?

If you don't need to go lightweight and can afford the price, I can't imagine why you'd tent in anything but canvas. Breathability, quiet in the wind, and most of all dry!

rsdata

Another resurrection of this old thread

Greetings... Newbie to this forum, but have been camping since I was a kid in the 50's.

Nothing like reading through an old thread. I owned a Springbar 8x10 back in the 80's. I loved it for ease of setup as I often put it up alone. I used it dozens of times over about 15 years... and it always worked well for me. I gave it to a buddy when I bought an extended Dodge van in the early 90's that I started camping (sleeping) in. I am now on my third Dodge extende Ram Van that I still use for camping.

Last spring I purchased Springbar's new 10 x 14 Family Shade Springbar Tent.
http://www.kirkhams.com/screen-houses-canopies/family-shade-springbar-tent/
I like the no-floor design of this tent as I frequently us the Springbar over a campground picnic table. You know that often these tables are really heavy to move, and/or chained down these days. By not having a floor in the new Springbar, I can just stake this baby down after throwing it over the table. The wife and I are on different sleeping schedules. She goes to bed early, in my Dodge van and gets up early... I on the other hand do the opposite. So I frequently stay up late in the Shade tent, and fall asleep in the recliner chair I have in there. I mostly just use this "tent" as a weather barrier over the camp picnic table... rain or shine we can use the picnic table.

I want to comment on "STAKING OUT" the tent that I have read in earlier postings. NO MORE pounding for me! A couple of years ago I purchased a Lithium-Ion powered drill with a charger and two batteries for less than $100. I added an adapter and a 9/16 socket and purchased 6", 8" and 10" long SPAX brand lag screws found at Home Depot.
SPAX 1/2 x 10 in. Zinc Hex Head Lag Screw
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-2-x-10-in-Zinc-Hex-Head-Lag-Screw-4571010122547/202041056?N=c2haZ1bj%3FNao%3D24#

After years of pounding and pulling stakes, I now screw and un-screw lag-screw stakes. Much faster and easier... Lag screws will hold in sand at the beach (the longer ones) and they will drill down and hold in rocky soil and gravel, although sometimes the shorter ones work better. I like the SPAX brand specifically because of the aggressive and large screw threads (much more so than standard lag screws) and the built-in washer at the top.

I also found a super deal on 4 foot long HD bungee cords. I use the bungee cords for tie downs instead of rope. With enough of the bungees, I can tailor the length of the bungee and the tension to the conditions. In windy conditions I have found that cords that give a little in the wind are easier on tent fabric, poles and stakes then rigidly tied ones.

Years ago, I had to stretch a little to purchase my first Springbar tent, which at the time was twice the price of any other tent of similar size that I knew about. However, I was sold on the ease of setup over some of the other external bar tents that I saw in the sporting goods stores of the day. Now I can more easily afford the Springbar then I could 30 years ago, and I was glad to spend the extra money to be able to purchase a quality tent still made in the USA.

Ian1357

After loads of really good research about Walmart type tents I came across the Kodiak Canvas tents. I was starting to think this is the tent for me and my wife.However before I ask my question a little back story.
Several years ago I, sorry we (my good lady and I) purchased a pop up camper. Realized after several weeks we had over paid. (probably double what it was really worth, yes ouch) I was able to use it several times. Yes, I not us. My wife's mother was over 90 with dementia (we lived with her) made it difficult for us both to get away together. So i was using at as my hotel for stargazing weekends.
However a heart attack and a bypass put paid to any trips so it stood for about 15 months. Decided when fit enough, we would open it up and give a spring clean. The pop up would not pop up. In fact the spring mechanism for the roof decided to pop out in several areas. The thing was rotten, result given away free.
Fast forward to July 2017. We are now in a position to travel together. So despite our last pop up we decide lets get another,some people never learn. So we did. We looked at several before we found what looked like a good deal. Took it home. Thinking that after our holiday to England, oh yes forgot to tell you I am a self exiled Brit, we would start to explore this great country. Came back from England to face the incoming disaster that was Hurricane Mathew. I thought we were rather fortunate a neighbor's tree took the brunt. Blew over missing both our houses. I know what you are thinking it hit the pop up. No it did not.
But unknown to us at the time the wind had damaged the pop up. So about four weeks after Mathew "lets check out the pop up " I said.
I started lifting the roof and noticed that we had a little problem one corner was flapping a little loose. My initial thoughts were the rain had got in rotting the corners. How wrong could I be. The whole of the wood part of the pop up frame roof was just dry rot. I wanted to cry. BTW the person we bought it from told us during conversation that he was a cop with the fraud department.
So after the financial disasters that were pop up camping. We decided that the only way we are going to get away is in a tent. OK a car and a tent. So.
How do I convince my wife that spending $700 on a Kodiak Canvas tent or something similar is not a waste of money?
Oh by the way my wife and I are no spring chickens, we are both in our sixties. So a tent like this will last a lifetime :)
P.S. Sorry if this is a little long winded.

Wallygator

Adventurer
After loads of really good research about Walmart type tents I came across the Kodiak Canvas tents. I was starting to think this is the tent for me and my wife.However before I ask my question a little back story.
Several years ago I, sorry we (my good lady and I) purchased a pop up camper. Realized after several weeks we had over paid. (probably double what it was really worth, yes ouch) I was able to use it several times. Yes, I not us. My wife's mother was over 90 with dementia (we lived with her) made it difficult for us both to get away together. So i was using at as my hotel for stargazing weekends.
However a heart attack and a bypass put paid to any trips so it stood for about 15 months. Decided when fit enough, we would open it up and give a spring clean. The pop up would not pop up. In fact the spring mechanism for the roof decided to pop out in several areas. The thing was rotten, result given away free.
Fast forward to July 2017. We are now in a position to travel together. So despite our last pop up we decide lets get another,some people never learn. So we did. We looked at several before we found what looked like a good deal. Took it home. Thinking that after our holiday to England, oh yes forgot to tell you I am a self exiled Brit, we would start to explore this great country. Came back from England to face the incoming disaster that was Hurricane Mathew. I thought we were rather fortunate a neighbor's tree took the brunt. Blew over missing both our houses. I know what you are thinking it hit the pop up. No it did not.
But unknown to us at the time the wind had damaged the pop up. So about four weeks after Mathew "lets check out the pop up " I said.
I started lifting the roof and noticed that we had a little problem one corner was flapping a little loose. My initial thoughts were the rain had got in rotting the corners. How wrong could I be. The whole of the wood part of the pop up frame roof was just dry rot. I wanted to cry. BTW the person we bought it from told us during conversation that he was a cop with the fraud department.
So after the financial disasters that were pop up camping. We decided that the only way we are going to get away is in a tent. OK a car and a tent. So.
How do I convince my wife that spending $700 on a Kodiak Canvas tent or something similar is not a waste of money?
Oh by the way my wife and I are no spring chickens, we are both in our sixties. So a tent like this will last a lifetime :)
P.S. Sorry if this is a little long winded.

Well I don't know where you are located and it might be a little big (or nice and comfy) for the two of you but I have a 10x14 Kodiak that I don't use anymore. It's virtually brand new as I only used it 3 times, then the time got away from me and now my kids are off to college. So I will prob never use it again. PM me if you are interested in it, maybe things will work out.

Also have 3 cots and sleeping pads that go with them....let me know

bbaker22

Kodiak 10x10 Deluxe has been good for me. Did a family trip to Yosemite with it, as well as about 4 nights in my pasture for testing/fun.

Pros? Spacious. Awesome, consistent roof height. Good ventilation. Quick to set up. Good organization options.
Downsides? Super heavy. Noisy/flappy in heavy wind (but seems stable/solid).

Basically, the tent is way more easy to hang out and live in compared to a traditional backpacking tent. But, you pay the price for weight/space.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
We use our 10x14 Kodiak tent for our family of four and there's plenty of room. I like the fact that I can stand up in it and I'm 6'4. It's bulky and heavy but it's as good as new after maybe 1-2 weeks of camping in it every year for 6 years or so. It's not like we have it up for months at a time but we do use it in a variety of conditions.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We own 3 different size Kirkham's Springbar tents plus their shade/dining tent and will never own anything else, you get what you pay for!

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have the 10x14 Kodiak. Love it. Best tent I have ever had...incl several from REI. I can set it up myself in less time than my large REI Kingdom tent. Setup (once located and I'm focused is under 7min). I use a cordless impact and long lag screws and the tarp to protect the floor (not necessary since the floor is so thick).

The moisture control is the best thing about any of the canavs tents and frankly surprised me the most...the humidity level is perfect and the tents breath the right amout. The temp control is also outstanding. It stays cooler during the day and warmer at night than zynth fabrics. We have also switched to cots too - game changer for my wife and I. If it it just she and I, the 10x10 would be fine with cots and a small table.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I have two Kodiak Canvas flexbow tents (9x8, and 8.5x6) as well as a Tepui roof top tent. My Kodiaks see way more use than the Tepui. I would highly recommend the Kodiak tents.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
The Kodiak website is usually the most expensive...you can find it from others cheaper. Occasionally Cabela's and Sportsmanwarwhouse has good prices...

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Not sure if they are having a sale or not but check out the website "family tent camping". They are a family owned company and are great to deal with. I purchased one of my Kodiaks from them and would definitely buy from them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179