Why so few GM Builds?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's funny, here you are calling out crazydrei for stereotyping, do you even remember what you previously post?

That's an entire post of stereotyping and generalization!

LOL, I see you have a list of GM vehicles in your signature so this thread must have struck a nerve.

I am pointing out the types that I personally know and see around me and their characteristics/attributes. In no way did I judge/call out their purchases from either a financial/economic bracket or from the perspective of the depth of use. That is what I was putting on blast. But since you know best what people drive in these parts I'll leave it at that ;^/

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
ORIGINAL question in the thread:
Why are there so few builds of a 4WD Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC for getaway vehicle for those on a limited budget?

BEST and most honest answer:
I have a feeling some people from pirate 4x4 have made their way over here

CONFIRMATION:
LOL, I see you have a list of GM vehicles in your signature so this thread must have struck a nerve.

I am pointing out the types that I personally know and see around me and their characteristics/attributes. In no way did I judge/call out their purchases from either a financial/economic bracket or from the perspective of the depth of use. That is what I was putting on blast. But since you know best what people drive in these parts I'll leave it at that ;^/

Budget oriented population does not have time for EXPO or Pirate4x4 or any other forum thus they are the disenfranchised voice in this and every other forum that just goes out in their GMT400, 800, 900 and travel/overlands/car camps.

An identical overland adventure would most likely cost and owner of: 1991 Chevy V3500, 1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban, 1965 Toyota Stout, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900, 1984 K5 Blazer several thousand dollars less than the exactly the same overland adventure to the owner of: 2018 Power Wagon, 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner and a 2017 Africa Twin.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

Point of the matter is, you call out someone for "generalize or stereotype" after posting an entire comment of "generalize or stereotype", what I drive has no bearing on your hypocriticism!!

Dalko43

Explorer
Depends. In my clique, with the Dodge we're
-replacing the axle shafts to get rid of the front axle disconnect
-adding a free spin kit
-using a long arm kit, depending on year. (not really a big deal, because we replace the radius arms on the Fords which is about the same thing)
-2 locker and gears
-and those 2 darn ball joints, if it's used.

Dodge had it right with the early PW's, solid axle shafts and 4.56 gears. Now back down to 4.10's is a bummer. Not bad at all, but more work than the Ford, except for the PW.

With the Chevy:
-Solid axle swap, which is fairly expensive and labor intensive. Even though there are companies offering complete kits specifically for that, that might be hardly any more expensive than beefing up the IFS properly, and lifting it. It's often cheaper in the long run. We won't lock the IFS diff at all.
-12 bolt rear. Scrapping every 10 bolt we come across. If it has the govbomb in a 12, replacing that with a Detroit or Elocker.
-Cut out fender flares for a little more clearance, if available. IIRC that's another $2000.

That's just too much IMO. Fixing one up can equal my entire camper budget.

Literally none of that stuff is needed to make a 3/4 ton truck expo ready.

If you want an Expo-ready Ram, the Power Wagon has basically everything ready to go off the dealership floor. It's arguably the most expo-ready truck out of all 3 options.

If you want an expo-ready GM, adding some slightly bigger tires, with a slight lift onto a truck that already has a rear locker is very easy. BTW, trimming the fender flares is not a $2k job. Plenty of people out there driving around with IFS GM 3/4 ton's going over rough roads.

I think we all understand that you prefer Ford's, but we don't need to be reminded about that every single time a new Full-size thread pops up.

XJLI

Adventurer
Literally every body on frame pickup sold today is "expo ready" off of the showroom floor. Just the same as any Subaru Outback/Crosstrek is. Same thing with any new vehicle from Jeep's lineup. Or literally a $800 20 year old XJ.

Buy something with decent clearance, a good four wheel drive system, pack your ********, and go. We aren't talking about running upper helldorado, or the rubicon, or setting up hill killers. If the purpose of a vehicle is to get off the pavement, engage four wheel drive, adventure and go sleep somewhere off the beaten path (notice I didn't say the bad word... camping!) anything can do it. You don't need a power wagon, or a new F250 on 37s and Carli suspension, or a TRD Pro Ironman Desert Storm.

Get something you like or can afford, use it. Fix what breaks. Upgrade what's necessary to YOU.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well if all you need is a Suby Outback, then get a Chevy truck or Suburban. Brilliant!

LOLz, my sentiments exactly. Way better than my Express van ever was:
vVvgcpJ.jpg

XJLI

Adventurer
A stock Crosstrek XV on good tires will do 90% of what 90% of people on this forum want to do. It's just that most people don't want one, or want something else.

PGW

Observer
The biggest anti-GM troll here (should be obvious who) now has over 20 posts on this GM-specific thread. Do some people just have nothing but free time?

The good thing is the people who actually venture out on the tracks and trails are generally pretty friendly and don't care what you are driving. Jeeps, side by sides, motos, Toyotas, full sizes, whatever, we are all out there for the same reason. I've never given or received any rig snobbery on the trails, probably because most people with a life don't really care.

Deshet

Adventurer
I was going to say something smart at first as a mainly ford guy but I have continuously owned some form of Chevy/GM for the last 20 years although they aren’t used much.

I don’t think most of the older 4x4 chevys are as over built as the ford but they Definitely have larger driveline components then the average Japanese Europe truck.

Years ago I owned a full size 1996 two-door blazer and that truck could do anything I would do in a land cruiser plus it could tow heavy.

80’s Short wheel based 4x4 GM trucks have a cult following. Trying finding a 6.2 diesel Suburban the truck that got 20 miles per gallon lifted with large tires

I believe the biggest thing affecting the domestic trucks in the expedition arena is most were sold to work where as many of the Japanese trucks were sold to pick up groceries and have not been used for their original purpose. In the last 20 years trucks have became more car like that is why so many good examples are around from all the manufacturers.

30 years ago it would be extremely rare to see a Japanese truck on a worksite.

Maybe the largest factor is aftermarket availability. I have not seen many expedition type products aimed at domestic trucks except the jeep.

Honestly we all know that the Jeep sets the bar of capability off-road.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Gas, oil, tires and some reasonable mods, smart lines, good judgement, common sense and smart skinny pedal and my GMC/Chevy have actually gone places versus just being built up. Parts and service have always been reasonable and easy to work on whether roadside, trailside or in the shop. Over the years I've had Fords, Dodges, Jeeps and Toyotas and loved em all, but the biggest bang for my traveling buck has always been my K2500's. People love seeing these old 90's trucks on the trail. They always have stories of learning to drive in a Chevy, owning a GMC or grandpas old farm Chevy, etc....I get that everyone likes their different brands, mods, farckles, but in the end it's all about just getting out. Cheers to all makes and models on the trail!IMG_1924.JPGNov-Dec 2006 061.jpgIMG_20180516_192036804_HDR.jpgIMG_3247.JPGP5310011.JPGPicture 084.jpg

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
I've seen a lot of "you don't see brand X out doing activity X" comments. One thing I've noticed in my travels, is that there are certainly regional trends. In some areas, I see more GM trucks, and in some areas I see more Ford trucks, etc.

This thread started off talking about older Tahoes and Suburbans. In the salt belt, most of them are rusted and gone. With each newer generation, the large SUVs seem to be less and less off road targeted. The next generation will finally make the move to independent rear suspension. Previously, I might have thought that was an outrageous move, but given how most of these big new SUVs get used, I think the move makes sense. The big SUVs have gotten so expensive, and loaded with tech, I'm not so sure they will ever be very desirable for off roading, like the old ones are now. In a way, that's kind of sad.

Personally, I just bought a new Sierra. I won't be building it at all. I drove a lifted Canyon for the last 6 years. Though I had some fun wheeling it, there are just not enough off road driving opportunities near me for me to justify a lifted truck. Hiking, canoeing, and mountain biking can get me past so many barriers (gates, laws, etc) that restrict driving access. Heck, I don't even know if I will put all terrain tires on my truck. I'll wait and see if the "eco" tires give me any trouble, but so far they have handled "rough roads" just fine.

Since I bought my Sierra, I've been hanging out a lot on the gm-trucks forum. I've observed a lot of members buying big expensive trucks, fitting them with oversized off road tires, and then taking pictures of them in their driveways. I'm not seeing a lot of off road use in that group. Perhaps it's because the group of buyers that can afford a $62,000 truck, can also afford a killer side-by-side or a trailered Jeep for off road fun.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
You know seeing a domestic anything out on the trail is rare. Unless I've been out with Larry in his K10, I did not hit a trail in the mountains of Colorado and see more than 1 or 2 other domestic trucks out at the same time. All I saw was Jeeps and Toyotas.

What the hell does it matter? Who's driving what? Get out and drive what you got. The way I see it, just driving a fullsize is far enough out of the norm it raises eyebrows in a sea of Jeeps, Tacomas and 4runners.

28294242737_95c43d7d82_b.jpg

Mine catches looks all the time. On the trail the above pic was taken from a group of Jeeps went by, mostly local CO guys but one in a XJ from back east couldn't get over mine. Stopped and talked to me twice about my truck. Pretty normal reaction I've found.

I'm a Chevy guy all the way. But each brand has it's pro's and con's. If they were all the same it would be pointless and boring.

Dalko43

Explorer
A stock Crosstrek XV on good tires will do 90% of what 90% of people on this forum want to do. It's just that most people don't want one, or want something else.

It won't do that last 10% very well though and, to some, that last 10% matters. Still a decent vehicle, but it has inherent compromises.

Literally every body on frame pickup sold today is "expo ready" off of the showroom floor. Just the same as any Subaru Outback/Crosstrek is. Same thing with any new vehicle from Jeep's lineup. Or literally a $800 20 year old XJ.

Buy something with decent clearance, a good four wheel drive system, pack your ****, and go. We aren't talking about running upper helldorado, or the rubicon, or setting up hill killers. If the purpose of a vehicle is to get off the pavement, engage four wheel drive, adventure and go sleep somewhere off the beaten path (notice I didn't say the bad word... camping!) anything can do it. You don't need a power wagon, or a new F250 on 37s and Carli suspension, or a TRD Pro Ironman Desert Storm.

Get something you like or can afford, use it. Fix what breaks. Upgrade what's necessary to YOU.

Agree with all of this. My post was not claiming that highly modified fullsized trucks are the only worthy expedition vehicles. Rather I was disputing the claim (espoused by our resident Ford expert) that Ford vehicles are much more overland-ready than the other 2 domestic truck brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior