where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

From another post looks like ULSD is becoming more available in Mexico. Pemex lost their sole franchise due to their not supplying ULSD. Totally understand that others like Shell are getting established in large population centers first. Looks like we are good country wide to get 15ppm after 31-December 2018.
Trip planning starts now - down Baja California, La Paz ferry to Topolobampo, Bahuichivo, Chihuahua, Ojinaga, Big Bend. Copper Canyon would be a stop.
Might reverse this and start from El Paso if mep1811 would be interested. Anyone else interested, this would principly be an on road trip with off-road excursions.
From the link: https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/mx/fuel.php
"2016 Diesel Fuel Specification (NOM-016) - NOM-016 defines two grades of diesel fuel:
• Automotive diesel for use in on-road vehicles, and
• Marine and agricultural diesel
The regulation specifies two different sulfur content limits for automotive diesel fuels: 15 ppm maximum for the larger metropolitan areas, the Mexico-US border and 11 transportation corridors, as well as for imported diesel; 500 ppm maximum for the rest of the country until December 31, 2018 after which the maximum sulfur content shall be 15 ppm for all of Mexico."

Last edited:
I’m not sure how Porsche determines curb weight, so we’re going to roll across some scales at some point to see what we have. Curb weight can be with full fuel or 90%, with a driver or without. Once you add a few people, a second full spare, cooler, racks, extraction stuff, luggage, spares and tools, camping and cooking equipment and so forth you crack 1000 pounds pretty fast. We supposedly have some 1800 pounds to play with but I doubt we want to use it all for off-road.

73datsun

(posted similar on Rennlist, but didn't get any traction)

Looking to take a 3-4week trip next summer and head to the Arctic Ocean. I've been up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle before (on motorcycle), but now there's a road to Tuktoyaktuk and access to the Arctic Ocean. I'd planned to do a ZR2, F150 or new Ranger. But in reality, an SUV would be better for every other day of my life and I won't really have a hard time finding a CPO or used 2015+ Cayenne for the same price. Plus, I'd probably just give it to my wife after the trip and drive her GTI.

I have read the OTIS thread on Rennlist and regularly read and follow threads on Expedition Portal, these are questions I couldn't find answers and opinions on.

1. S-EHYBRID OR DIESEL?
Had a 2015 T3 Touareg VR6. Nice build. Great ride. Towed great. Looked mean on some Duratracs. Could not get out of it's own way, so incredibly slow and with no fuel economy upside. I like the Diesel for the obvious fuel economy. Would be great on a 8kmi trip. However, the S-Ehybrid is pretty sweet. I'd lose the efficiency on that trip (as I wouldn't regularly have access to plug it in. But I'm guessing it would be a better day to day vehicle. Any thoughts? Horror stories?

Not interested in the base model. Love the S and Turbo. But I'd much prefer the fuel economy of the Diesel or S-EHybrid. FWIW, I'm leaning way closer to the Diesel vs the EHybrid

2. DEFINITIVE LIST OF TIRE SIZES?
Striking out on searching for tire sizes. I really don't need a crazy lift or anything. Just a solid tire with a stiff sidewall. Given a significant portion will be on gravel or gravel slime and major frost heaves, I'd like something better than the standard A/S or large diameter/small sidewall. I'm guessing the suggestion will be to run 18's. Any sizes that are a bit taller than OEM, but don't require trimming or fender rolling?

Looks like 265/60/18, might work, a little bit taller than stock. Now just have to research if 18wheels clear the CD's brakes.

3. PASM AIR or STEEL?
Is PASM AIR worth seeking out? I'm not finding many Diesels with this option. On cursory look, it appears that the S-EHYBRIDs are easier to find with this option. I'm not looking to go rock crawling. But do appreciate ability to increase ride height. I bird hunt so the ability to go into the fields safely is nice. Although, I had no issue with our stock ride height Touareg once I put the slightly taller Duratracs on it.

My gut has me leaning towards steel as it's less crap to go wrong. Plus, I live in MN and apparently cold weather can have adverse effects on air system.

4. ROOF RACK OPTIONS?
I'd greatly prefer a vehicle has the OEM rails. Given I plan to add a Rooftop Tent for the trip to the Arctic, the ability to carry more weight on OEM vs Thule or Yak is greatly appreciated. That being said, there appears to be a Front Runner rack that can be installed on non rail vehicles. But I can't find much info on how it actually installs, and if it really is installed with no drilling, etc, why is it nearly impossible to add OEM rails to a non OEM equipped vehicle?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/porsche-cayenne-sl-ii-r-kit.html

krpc001t_2_2_f8c5d09d7eeeb6c624d8fb0d992a6dbdbe226bb0.jpg

5. ANY MUST HAVE OPTIONS/PACKAGES?
Really the only thing that I need would be one equipped with the OEM tow hitch. Had an aftermarket one added to the Touareg and wasn't very pleased with the integration or wiring.

6. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS/SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks, sorry for long post.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
As for the Frontrunner roof rack.

Installs easily to factory/OEM tracks with no drilling required.

That rack looks very narrow to be very practical.

I have a 60 x 54 Rhino Rack platform rack on Thule cross bars.

We have a Gen 1 Cayenne, so it has the tracks, and we're buying a fairly large (larger than needed, really) basket and will be either fabricating towers or buying them. The basket is 46x68, so we'll be using three supports per side. Total cost should be in the $300 range if we have to buy some Thule towers, and probably thousands if we decide to make them ourselves. :)

73datsun

We have a Gen 1 Cayenne, so it has the tracks, and we're buying a fairly large (larger than needed, really) basket and will be either fabricating towers or buying them. The basket is 46x68, so we'll be using three supports per side. Total cost should be in the $300 range if we have to buy some Thule towers, and probably thousands if we decide to make them ourselves. :)

I guess that's a good thought. If I can't find one with the OEM rails, I could look to do three bars, should a RTT require.

As for the Frontrunner roof rack.

Installs easily to factory/OEM tracks with no drilling required.

That rack looks very narrow to be very practical.

I have a 60 x 54 Rhino Rack platform rack on Thule cross bars.

The problem is, that Front Runner says it's good for all models, but I'm guessing it's more for the 955/957 Cayennes. Does the 958 have tracks? Waiting to hear back from Front Runner.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You have to order your Cayenne with factory roof rails for the Frontrunner rack to attach to. Looking at the picture on my laptop the rack looks wider.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I now have a true dual battery system in the Cayenne. I used a National Luna dual battery solenoid with the Arkpak as my second battery. Now to tidy up the install.

Attachments

• IMG_20181029_194915305.jpg
    IMG_20181029_194915305.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181029_194946589.jpg
    IMG_20181029_194946589.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181029_194951764.jpg
    IMG_20181029_194951764.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20181029_201254654.jpg
    IMG_20181029_201254654.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181029_201332250.jpg
    IMG_20181029_201332250.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 37

Cayenne-958-TDI

(posted similar on Rennlist, but didn't get any traction) Looking to take a 3-4week trip next summer and head to the Arctic Ocean. I've been up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle before (on motorcycle), but now there's a road to Tuktoyaktuk and access to the Arctic Ocean. I'd planned to do a ZR2, F150 or new Ranger. But in reality, an SUV would be better for every other day of my life and I won't really have a hard time finding a CPO or used 2015+ Cayenne for the same price. Plus, I'd probably just give it to my wife after the trip and drive her GTI.

I have read the OTIS thread on Rennlist and regularly read and follow threads on Expedition Portal, these are questions I couldn't find answers and opinions on.

1. S-EHYBRID OR DIESEL?
Diesel has our vote. It preformed very well in the hot desert & cold Arctic up to Cold Foot, AK - no issues starting right up without being plugged in after cold soaking all night at -36F. Very efficient, we have gotten up to a 765 mile range, after six years & 80k miles loaded down we get between 550 & 580 mile range. No issues driving at altitude. Low end torque is amazing - did a run starting at 3800' climbed to 8000' and decended to 4000' in less than a mile.
As the diesel is not as complex as a hybrid it should be more reliable.

2. DEFINITIVE LIST OF TIRE SIZES?
Per the web 18s were available stock on 2013 thru 2016 diesels. I would not go to a larger wheel size. Only concern going larger than stock 255/55R18 is clearing the turbo intercooler. Driving straight is not as much an issue as turning. Would not want to limit steering lock-to-lock especially on a trail.

3. PASM AIR or STEEL?
Is PASM AIR worth seeking out? YES
Driving around town 3 season do not use it much. Off-road and thru snow it has saved us many times. To carry a RTT with the higher CG, I would want the ability to lower the suspension. If you do not get PASM, probably down the road you will want a lift kit - which locks you into a higher CG. RTTs are not easy to remove & reinstall, most leave theirs installed all the time.

4. ROOF RACK OPTIONS?
We have Yakima racks, would NOT recommend them. The cross bars slide left and right independently from the basket which also shifts. Not fun when your load shifts! I contacted and am working with Front Runner for a solution.

5. ANY MUST HAVE OPTIONS/PACKAGES?
Agree, get one equipped with the OEM tow hitch. PASM Air, 18 way adjustable seats are not a luxury on long trips, living in MN would want heated seats and steering wheel.
Deal Killer -- Would not have one with the Pano roof - structural and reliability issues.

6. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS/SUGGESTIONS?
Many who got Cayenne's want to get larger wheels. We purchased two sets of four 18s from friends. This way we get to carry two full size spares with three season BFG KO2s mounted and two full size spares with winter Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Got tired of twice a year de-mounting one set of rubber to install the other. Six three season wheels -- Six winter wheels with studded tires.
We are definitely sold on self healing body wraps, we have Xpel Ultimate and it works. A lot cheaper to wrap than to repaint.
Good auxiliary lights. Light-bars are a popular look but very easy to over drive. We are very happy with our Cyclops Adventure Sports lights. Vision X are also good.
Would not recommend a RTT for CG reasons, and climbing up-down the ladder in the night. In reality they do not offer much protection from animals / bears. Every time you set up camp you have to break it down to go off exploring - gets old fast!
You said you looked at the Meet Otis post, the only thing we would change is to replace the Yakima racks. Everything else has served us well Overlanding for 2 weeks plus and doing long distance endurance rally. We just added a battery powered Stihl chain saw to our kit.
I will check with a friend who has driven the new road to Tuktoyaktuk about availability of diesel. He and others have said that they do close the road at times when road conditions and safety dictate so plan accordingly. We will be going to Tuk as part of a 5,000 mile road rally in the winter of 2020.
Let us know if we can be of further help!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
#2 If you get a Turbo with large rotors(my has 390mm F rotors), you can reduce down to smaller 360mm rotors/calipers/pads (although about $2200) to enable running 18" wheels vs the 19" minimum's I'm running for trail wheels/tires.

#3 I love my PASM, the ride height is incredibly high (and with the RENNtech V3.5 susp module, I should be able to tweak it to raise up even more on one of the 3 laptop-changeable settings, and also have it lower more for summer use.

#5 Or just don't use the pano roof if you have one. :)

#6 I have dual Thule boxes up top with quite a bit of gear up there, estimated ~200lbs. Yes, I'm aware of keeping roof loads as low as possible, but for my activities and 2 dogs in the back, stuff has to go up up in the boxes. That being said, even driving spiritedly, club drives, etc, Cayenne handles amazingly well. If I didn't have the dogs and it was just me, I'd probably sleep on the passenger side, RF seat all the way/hinged forward, rear seats down, enough room for a 6' tall person. I also had Autohome RTT on 2 rigs and enjoyed it vs tenting on the ground(but of course I can't have a RTT, my Thule's, and dogs in the back). So, something has to give. As they say, YMMV. :) In the end, 958 Cayenne's are truly remarkable!

3. PASM AIR or STEEL?

I didn't mention this because I don't know much about PASM but as for the air part, I'm very happy we have it. Although I have yet to use the 955, I know we will be somewhere around GVWR and we're going to want two things: 1) height for when we really need it, and 2) lower suspension for increased safety the other 99% of the time. Two of the guys took it to an offroad park over the weekend and pretty quickly ended up needing the full height, which is probably more than we would have gotten with a permanent lift kit. So compared to a permanent kit and steel springs, it's higher when we want it and lower when we want it. Sounds just perfect for overlanding.

At first the guys were assuming we would replace the air with steel, based on the typical hysteria about air spring reliability, but after some reading we decided it's technology that we want.

73datsun

Thanks guys! This is truly helpful. Getting real excited about this now.

Surprised/curious about the thoughts about avoiding RTT. Having done a 3.5wk motorcycle trip, it got old setting up and tearing down a ground tent every night. So thought a RTT would be more ideal. Fully understand that a RTT doesn't protect me from bears, it was more of ease of pack up and go.

Here's my priorities based on your feedback and to-date research.

Vehicle:
2015+ Cayenne Diesel
- factory tow
- factory rails
- PASM + Air
- NO PANO

Modifications/Additions:
- Duratracs (or similar) on 18" wheels, with two spares
- Wilco Hitchgate
- Potentially aux diesel fuel canister (although they have diesel at Eagle Plains on the Dempster and that's the longest run between fuel stops)

TBD:
- sleeping arrangement (rtt, or otherwise), wife and daughter meeting in Edmonton on way south to go through Jasper and Glacier
- aux lighting, not really needed given time of year, but would be beneficial if the Dempster was anything like it was when I went years ago (storming)

Follow up question:
- Richard/Otis, your wrap looks fantastic. What's the loose cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Thanks guys! This is truly helpful. Getting real excited about this now.

Fully understand that a RTT doesn't protect me from bears, it was more of ease of pack up and go.
- We find that once on the trail setting up a base camp to explore from is very nice.
- Many areas beg to spend more than one day/night.
- would also consider a 2013 & 14 if buying from a dealer and CPO is desired they are still available.
- if 18 way seats are not available get at least 14 way - long trips will be easier
- Agree 18" wheels, with two spares
- We have the Wilco Hitchgate with trays for two 5gal Scepter cans - works good especially convienent to hang a Trash-A-Roo off the spare.
- We traveled this route ( http://www.alcan5000.com/pdf/2016AlcanRoute.pdf ) in winter and never had an issue finding ULSD. Many 'stations' were closed for winter but still had no issues other than at one place the automobile nozzle was for agriculture. Would definitely get the VW - Porsche fuel funnel for these situations. Not on this trip but for three seasons we carry water in our blue Scepter cans. Be careful to get the right color for what liquid you chose. The emergency folks will thank-you & understand they have a different internal coating for each fluid. With a 550 to 580 mile range we have never needed extra fuel - water definitely yes.

Potentially aux diesel fuel canister (although they have diesel at Eagle Plains on the Dempster and that's the longest run between fuel stops)
- Inuvik also has fuel.
For our 2020 winter trip looking at doing a side trip from the going to Yellowknife to provision then to Tsiigehtchic and Norman Wells. Researching fuel, route, etc.

TBD:
- aux lighting, not really needed given time of year, but would be beneficial if the Dempster was anything like it was when I went years ago (storming)
- If you do not get aux front lights, definitely get aux tail lights mounted high on the roof rack. Cayenne tail lights always become obliterated with dirt, snow, mud. Better to be seen from behind prior to being hit.

Follow up question:
- Richard/Otis, your wrap looks fantastic. What's the loose cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Do not know how much the loose material cost is. To get it installed at a shop the labor cost can be widely variable depending how you want it done. For us we had all exterior trim, door handles, etc removed to get the wrap under and around them. Upon replacement we would not have everything removed. Been very pleased with Xpel, they have a newer version that is a bit thicker that I would chose.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179