The Trans America Trail in a 2019 Ford Ranger

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks.

I'm starting off with the eastern routes. Won't make it that far west on my first attempt.

Jim Oaks

Observer
So anyway...

Heading across the Sawtooth National Forest brings you to Sun Valley. This is a resort area. You're definitely not going to find a fast food place here to eat. LOL.

I topped off the gas tank again, and decided to continue west on the TAT. I headed west on Warm Springs Road FR 227 and came across this sign.

I knew that the road was closed east of Featherville thanks to the videos of Moto Trek Adventures (I love this guys videos), and had already mapped out a detour well before that spot. With that in mind, I continued.

I saw a lot of avalanche / land slide debris on this trip.

Unfortunately, I came across this sign closing the road before I ever got to my detour. It can get frustrating when you have to turn around and backtrack. I suspect that this may be a more recent closure than the one the sign was posted for.

I took SR 75 south out of Ketchum, and stopped at the McDonald's in Hailey for a bite to eat.

Ever wanted to know how the 2019 Ford Ranger compares in size between the F-150 and old Ranger?

When I came to the intersection of US 20 (where I was going to turn west), there was a pretty big state rest area there, so I just decided to pull in there and sleep in the truck. Yes, 6'2" / 215 lbs and I slept in the front seat of the Ranger.

Here's an in-cab video highlight of the days trip:

Here's the full story:

Trans America Trail - Tuesday June 11th, 2019

Attachments

• 1562275682285.png
    1562275682285.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
This website says there's a few discrepancies with some online maps. Accidentally going through private land or something.

Jim Oaks

Observer
IDK.

I wanted to follow the route established by Sam Correro. When I went to his website, I found a variety of maps for loops and spurs, but I couldn't just find a map for the traditional TAT route from Tennessee to Port Orford, Oregon. I just needed the .kml file so I could enter it in to my Gaia GPS app.

So I followed this route:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=43.08950759577006,-114.00747202487662&z=6

If you uncheck all of the boxes except 'TranSAM Trail 2017 Update', you should see what's suppose to be Sam's most current route. At least that's the route I followed.

Honestly, I liked it better when it was just a single east-west route. Now you have the old route, this new 2017 route, and then a bunch of spurs. I understand that routes have to get changed a little due to closures, but it should basically follow the same general path, and not have a bunch of spurs that go off in different directions. I think it's going to be hard to identify with somebody else that's done the Trans America Trail, if there's to many variations, and you have no idea where they were.

I think of it this way...

I followed old Route 66 from California back to Texas. Most people know exactly what I'm talking about if I say Route 66, and you can find a map online to get an idea of where I've been. I would like for the Trans America Trail to be the off-pavement adventure version of Route 66. A legendary route.

Jim Oaks

Observer
On June 12th I traveled west on US 20 from the rest area, and north on FR 61 to reconnect with the Trans America Trail at Featherville.

The TAT eventually brings you out along the Middle Fork Boise River. It was definitely an area that makes you just want to sit and relax for a while.

From there the TAT went north to Idaho City, and then worked its way west to Oregon. There was a thunderstorm with strong winds and hail, so I ended up sleeping in the truck in the parking lot of Walmart in Ontario Oregon, instead of sleeping in the tent.

Here's the full story:

Trans America Trail - Wednesday June 12th, 2019

Jim Oaks

Observer
Waking up in Oregon, the first thing I did was to fill up my gas tank, and then get some breakfast. I briefly forgot that it's a crime to pump your own gas in this state. Fortunately, the law has changed so that remote areas are allowed to let you pump your own gas. But it's up to the station. This would be only one of two times I would be allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon. The other times I would have to wait impatiently.

pum_your_own_gas_in_oregon.gif

(How Oregon thinks I pump my gas)​

If you ever do the Trans America Trail, get use to this sight. ;)

I had to stop and take a few photos of this lake...

How many cows do you see?

The Gate!

Everything was going great until I came to this fence / gate.

The TAT follows Willow Creek Road, crosses US 26, and becomes Rose Creek Road. The TAT eventually makes a right turn off of Rose Creek Road, and goes north in to the Malheur National Forest on NF-16. It was at this point I ran across this gate made out of wire fence. The end fence post in the gate was stuck in a wire loop at the top and bottom, and there was a piece of wood with wire on it wrapped in the middle to hold it closed. I probably could have got it open, but I wasn't so sure that I could get it closed by myself.

My Gaia GPS app wasn't getting a signal, so I was following a line on a screen, and my factory Ford navigation wouldn't show me any detail if I zoomed out. It appeared that Rose Creek Road continued on, and with it starting to rain, I chose to continue and bypass this gate.

The road I was on went a couple of miles, and basically ended at a ranchers home. I got out and talked to the guy for about 15-minutes, and explained the gate I had came across, and how I ended up at his place. He told me that the gate was on a forest road, and that I had the right to use it if I wanted. He even offered some instructions on how to open it (it was not his gate).
He suggested that some ranchers may try to keep people out of the area when they put up gates, and I believe the rancher in question chose to build this style gate to look like a fence, and try to deter people from going past it.

The rancher offered to let me use a private road that he shared with another rancher. The road offered some beautiful scenery, but it wasn't the Trans America Trail. The road took me all the way down to US 20, and then I had to follow that west to US 395, and back north to reconnect with the TAT. By the time I was reconnected, I lost about 2-hours.

I would suggest that anyone doing the TAT bypass this spot so they don't have to deal with this gate.

If you turn right on US 26 instead of crossing on to Rose Creek Road (In Ironside), you can travel about 8.5-miles and connect with E. Camp Creek Road (NFD-1684). It's the blue line on my map. The red line is the TAT route. E. Camp Road (NFD-1684) turns in to NFD-1680, and eventually NF-16 and the TAT. If you follow the TAT on Rose Creek Road, be prepared to open the gate.

Looking back, I really wish I would have opened the gate, and it annoys me that I let a rancher deter me from using a National Forest Road.

But as I said, the private road offered some beautiful views...

Linking back up with the TAT took me back in to the Malheur National Forest west of US 395. In some areas, the roads were wide with smooth gravel. Other sections were rough. At one point, I wasn't sure if the trail I was on would even make it all the way through.

I will warn you that these sections through the National Forests in Oregon are longer and more difficult than you may anticipate. Expect the section from Ironside (US 26) to Priveville (US 26) to take up your whole day.

Unfortunately, the sun was starting to set on me, so I ended up heading south off of the TAT on to CR 380, and taking that in to Prineville. After grabbing some Taco Bell before the lobby closed, I headed west to Redmond, and spent the night in a hotel.
When I first got to Oregon, I could feel that I was getting close to the end of the TAT. But Oregon would prove to be the most challenging section.

Here's the full story:

Trans America Trail - Thursday June 13th, 2019

Last edited:

Foy

Explorer
No offense, my friend, but the gate you encountered is one of the more common styles found anywhere in the country. Ranchers and farmers put them up not because they're trying to disguise the gate or discourage its use, but because they can be built on-site for practically nothing money-wise with materials a ranch hand normally has on his horse, ATV, or truck.

Foy

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yep, that gate is fine. Open, roll up, drive though, unroll and clip it back together. Of they wanted to keep you out, it would be straight up barbed wire.

Still looks like fullsize friendly trails. That's good.

Jim Oaks

Observer
No offense, my friend, but the gate you encountered is one of the more common styles found anywhere in the country. Ranchers and farmers put them up not because they're trying to disguise the gate or discourage its use, but because they can be built on-site for practically nothing money-wise with materials a ranch hand normally has on his horse, ATV, or truck.

Foy

Not offended. Thanks for the feedback.

I only encountered one other gate, but it was a more traditional metal gate with a chain and hook holding it closed. Everywhere else was just the cattle guards in the roads.

Having to open a gate to gain access to a road is still new to me. As I said, I really wish I would have just opened it, and not let it intimidate me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I only encountered one other gate, but it was a more traditional metal gate with a chain and hook holding it closed. Everywhere else was just the cattle guards in the roads.

Having to open a gate to gain access to a road is still new to me. As I said, I really wish I would have just opened it, and not let it intimidate me.
Isn't Texas an open range state, too? Most of the west is, meaning you as the land owner are responsible for fencing grazing livestock out, not in. So gates are everywhere. If the USFS or BLM has a gate and it's locked then you can't pass. If the road is public (designated either Federally or as a state or county road) and the gate isn't locked you may have just hit an inholding, which is a chunk of private land surrounded by public land. You more likely than not are fine to pass. Not always, but if it's a private road most of the time there will be a sign to that effect. But not all maps match what's on the ground and sometimes reality is land owners want to you to think a road is closed. So you have to have some idea if you're right or wrong.

One thing is always leave a gate how you found it. If it was closed make sure to close it after you pass through. Leaving it open when it was closed is a good way to serious screw the pooch when you cause someone to lose part of their herd.

Jim Oaks

Observer
It was nice to get a shower and sleep in a hotel.

The Ranger needed a bath, but it could only stare at the car wash and wish.

The 1950's full-service approach to getting gasoline is still odd to me.

Heading back to the Trans America Trail, today it would take me through the Deschutes and Umpqua National Forests.

The TAT takes you up and over the Newberry Volcano and past the East and Paulina lakes.

Stopping in La Pine to get gas and lunch, I ran in to this locked gate trying to take NF-500 out of town.

I ended up just heading south out of La Pine on US 97, and heading west on Masten Road (blue line) to reconnect with the TAT (red line).

From there, things went fairly well until I ran in to snow on NF-60 just before it crosses the Pacific Rim Trail near Windigo Pass.

With the snow looking like it gets deep in sections, and not having a winch in case I get stuck, I turned back to Route 58, and took that to US 97. I followed US 97 south to Route 138, and then took that west to reconnect with the TAT.

This section takes you by Diamond Lake.

It was around 6:30pm, and I saw a sign for a KOA campground, but it was full. I should have called it a day and found a place to camp, but I didn't. I knew I had some more day light left, and decided to try and get a little further. It wasn't one of my better decisions. :unsure::cautious:

I stopped at Clearwater falls for some quick photos and a video, before being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes.

Jim Oaks

Observer
I continued along the TAT, but the sun was starting to set, and of course, it get's dark in the woods first.

Which meant my butt was driving through the forest at night.

When I finally got to Route 227 (Tiller Trail Highway), I followed that over to Canyonville, and spent the night in the Jordan Creek Rest Area.

Here's the full story:

Trans America Trail - Friday June 14th, 2019

Jim Oaks

Observer
Isn't Texas an open range state, too? Most of the west is, meaning you as the land owner are responsible for fencing grazing livestock out, not in. So gates are everywhere. If the USFS or BLM has a gate and it's locked then you can't pass. If the road is public (designated either Federally or as a state or county road) and the gate isn't locked you may have just hit an inholding, which is a chunk of private land surrounded by public land. You more likely than not are fine to pass. Not always, but if it's a private road most of the time there will be a sign to that effect. But not all maps match what's on the ground and sometimes reality is land owners want to you to think a road is closed. So you have to have some idea if you're right or wrong.

One thing is always leave a gate how you found it. If it was closed make sure to close it after you pass through. Leaving it open when it was closed is a good way to serious screw the pooch when you cause someone to lose part of their herd.

It is, but I never see gates anywhere. All I ever see are the cattle guards in the road / driveway.

As I said, I only encountered one other gate. I opened it, and then closed it the way I found it. There wasn't a gate when I got to the other end, just the cattle guard in the road.

The rancher I spoke to about this gate in question suggested that sometimes ranchers put up gates trying keep people out.

Here's something I found a bit odd when I looked at the map online later:

I did a screenshot and pointed out the road in question (NF-16) that was gated. Notice how it intersects with NF-16? How can you have (2) roads with the same number? NF-16 eventually turns to NFD 1680 (to the right of the map), but then I can find (2) different NFD-1680's in the same area as well! Weird.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It is, but I never see gates anywhere. All I ever see are the cattle guards in the road / driveway.

As I said, I only encountered one other gate. I opened it, and then closed it the way I found it. There wasn't a gate when I got to the other end, just the cattle guard in the road.

The rancher I spoke to about this gate in question suggested that sometimes ranchers put up gates trying keep people out.

Here's something I found a bit odd when I looked at the map online later:

I did a screenshot and pointed out the road in question (NF-16) that was gated. Notice how it intersects with NF-16? How can you have (2) roads with the same number? NF-16 eventually turns to NFD 1680 (to the right of the map), but then I can find (2) different NFD-1680's in the same area as well! Weird.
What does the MVUM for the area say?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle