Australian and British bloggers arrested in Iran

shade

In Iran.. only a week ago a young woman was accused “breaking the Iranian law” by wanting to see a soccer game, in a way that caused her to set herself on fire.
You left out some dots you connected with that statement. The way that reads to me, the Iranian government accused her of breaking a law against wanting to view a soccer game, so by law she was ordered to set herself on fire, which she did. Sounds a little off.

Did Iranian law dictate self-immolation after the accusation?

Did the woman set herself on fire in protest? Out of embarrassment? Due to depression? Some other reason?

GB_Willys_2014

You left out some dots you connected with that statement. The way that reads to me, the Iranian government accused her of breaking a law against wanting to view a soccer game, so by law she was ordered to set herself on fire, which she did. Sounds a little off.

Did the woman set herself on fire in protest? Out of embarrassment? Due to depression? Some other reason?
Hijab protest.

shade

Hijab protest.

Thanks for the link.

Looks like protest + mental health issues, not an order from the court.

Any idea what the likely punishment would've been had she seen the case through?

GB_Willys_2014

Thanks for the link.

Looks like protest + mental health issues, not an order from the court.

Any idea what the likely punishment would've been had she seen the case through?
Wiki link below with all the usual disclaimers.

That said, penalty of 1 to 10 years in prison, or in US terms a felony.

I also agree with you that we are in the realm of mental-health-cum-political-protest, or vice-versa, as has been seen in other repressive regimes.

She was in desperate straits, and suffering. I prefer not to speculate on the primary driver here.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So she knowingly breaks two laws - no hijab and female in a stadium. Gets caught and arrested. Arrested because cops do what cops do, or because maybe they told her to go home and she went into bipolar sports fanatic mode and had to be subdued?

Apparrently only charged with no hijab (didn't actually make it into the stadium so no charge for that?).

Spent some time (a night, a week, a year?) in jail awating a hearing. Court adjourned until a later date. Released. Own Recognizance? Sets herself on fire. Dies.

All because...soccer?

Darwin awards.

Last edited:

shade

She was in desperate straits, and suffering. I prefer not to speculate on the primary driver here.
Neither would I. Sad outcome, no matter one's stance on Iranian law.

To the Iranian government, their legal system makes sense, so that government considers punishments handed down by that system to be proportional & rational. The same can be said of any government. When deciding to visit a jurisdiction, it's important to remember that they make the rules, and they decide how (or if) to enforce them. That's a universal truth of travel, whether to Iran, America, or Sweden. I don't have to condemn the bloggers to agree that they played a role in their predicament.

Maybe Star Trek should be mandatory viewing before a passport is issued.

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

Neither would I. Sad outcome, no matter one's stance on Iranian law.

To the Iranian government, their legal system makes sense, so punishments handed down by that system are likewise proportional & rational. The same can be said of any government. When deciding to visit a jurisdiction, it's important to remember that they make the rules, and they decide how (or if) to enforce them. That's a universal truth of travel, whether to Iran, America, or Sweden. I don't have to condemn the bloggers to agree that they played a role in their predicament.

Maybe Star Trek should be mandatory viewing before a passport is issued.

Ultimately, yes, visitors have no choice but to accept the fact that it's their country, their rules.

My only disagreement with your post is: "proportional and rational punishment". Quite the contrary, IMHO.

But it doesn't matter, as the Mullahs in Tehran don't give a flying fvck about my opinion, and I will never find myself under their laws.

shade

Ultimately, yes, visitors have no choice but to accept the fact that it's their country, their rules.

My only disagreement with your post is: "proportional and rational punishment". Quite the contrary, IMHO.

But it doesn't matter, as the Mullahs in Tehran don't give a flying fvck about my opinion, and I will never find myself under their laws.
I meant that the government in question considers the punishment "proportional and rational".
I've edited my post to clarify that point.

DorB

Adventurer
Did the woman set herself on fire in protest?
It shows you how desperate people are over there because of local laws..
And this is the place those 2 travelers are held now.
Anyone with a slight sense who read the opening title understand the obvious of what could be the consequence of traveling to Iran”.

So in my point of view, we can avoids spreading salt/dancing on Blood/bashing the already bashed..

Slowly..

Last edited:

shade

It shows you how desperate people are over there because of local laws..
And this is the place those 2 travelers are are held now.
Anyone with a slight sense who read the opening title understand the obvious of what could be the consequence of traveling to Iran”.

So in my point of view, we can avoids spreading salt/dancing on Blood/bashing the already bashed..

Slowly..
I don't think you understood why I asked for clarification, but that's ok. No bashing from me either way.

Naffenea

I've been involved in a lot of things that made the news over the years and my experience is that the news pretty much always gets things wrong initially. Add the complication here that the only news coming out is what Iran wants to come out, and how in the world do you think that you know that they were stupid?

Instead of debating facts that none of us can possibly know, focus on whatever you can do to help.
Westerners flying drones in Iran tells me.

bathwalter

Back to the article. It is really very strange that they did not even think that they would have problems after sending to flight the drone. After all, even in our country, a licence is required to make video recordings. And here to come to a foreign country, with a special political environment, and commit such acts.
Maybe they just wanted to check if they were really being arrested or not?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Stupid is as stupid does. The inability to see the world as it it is rather as how one wants it to be is an issue, then you go to jail.

No sympathy . Hopefully it turns out well for them.

When I was in AFG, two Czech girls thought backpacking in Pakistan and then crossing into AFG was a good idea. Of course the TB grabbed then It then became the Americans job to rescue them. The Czechs wanted to wait for a ransom even knowing the TB were raping them . They wanted a non-violent solution.
They were raped to death over a couple months.

Why travel to a place where the people hate and want to kill you? Perhaps social media is a draw more powerful than common sense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle