Anyone tried using an Explorer?

justbecause

perpetually lost
My grandfather-in-law got a brand new AWD explorer, I was very surprised to see this little guy.

33049350.jpeg.jpg

If this thing can get the stamp of approval

surely a v6 pumping out 28mpg highway, 1100 lb payload, 5k towing, and a 3rd row can be given a chance.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I assume that you are talking about the patriot;

...Gets no approval/consideration by me.(I am an Off Roader); and looking for off road performance first and most... Have had to push several Patriots by hand because they were stuck with 2 diagonal wheels off the ground IN CAMP... In all fairness, however the patriots equipped with traction control and similar electronics can probably work OK, for some, in spite of their limitations.
The modified Explorer (ARB locker in back and Torsen L/S in front) is so far marginally acceptable (for light duty to light/moderate off roading) though it is SEVERLY limited by the IFS (in spite of having a Torsen limited slip (the only non-lunch box IFS differential that I could find that fit without custom machine work). The up side is that the Torsen diff. can be fooled into tightening by creative brake foot work.
Still looking for a manual transfer case for it, the OEM electrically shifted T-case is un reliable due to the shift motor (2 failures so far; spare shift motor stored onboard, strapped to the jack).
I was spoiled by modified Jeep CJs (Fuel injected (V-8 or I-6), 5 speed, selectable lockers... now no lesser dual purpose vehicle will ever be more than barely acceptable.

Enjoy!

..Awaiting with moderate interest the release of the new Ford bronco; just to see how badly Ford misses the off road mark (et)...

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My grandfather-in-law got a brand new AWD explorer, I was very surprised to see this little guy.

33049350.jpeg.jpg

If this thing can get the stamp of approval

surely a v6 pumping out 28mpg highway, 1100 lb payload, 5k towing, and a 3rd row can be given a chance.

I’d rather get the new Ascent. More modern rig, better awd system lower price tag on new rigs. The new explorer hasn’t been the most reliable rig and Fords track record for fixing flawed cars is pretty bad. Wife has a Ford it’s been good. But I don’t trust the company hence our huge warranty on it.

MattF350

Observer
Mom had a 97 Explorer when I was growing up. Spent many nights in the back sleeping. Havent been in too many newer ones, but they probably would work just as well.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Overall in spite of my petty complaints I like this Explorer as a dual purpose DD (Daily Driver... it handles and brakes much better than the Jeep)/camping vehicle (slightly more room to haul stuff than the Jeep... haven't tried to sleep in a vehicle for more years than I care to count). The newer ones with hill decent and traction control would likely be better than many older Explorers in stock form, especially for the less experienced off of road (be very careful what you tackle, or you too may become experienced at fixing bodywork).
I really don't see most vehicles as reliable... although after re-engineering/modification/replacement of components and assemblies they can become so... its an evolutionary thing...
No common, reasonably priced dual purpose vehicle is acceptable to me, long term... Modification is a way of life...
First make it perform well; then make it look good...
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lesa_NeSmith

Overall in spite of my petty complaints I like this Explorer as a dual purpose DD (Daily Driver... it handles and brakes much better than the Jeep)/camping vehicle (slightly more room to haul stuff than the Jeep... haven't tried to sleep in a vehicle for more years than I care to count). The newer ones with hill decent and traction control would likely be better than many older Explorers in stock form, especially for the less experienced off of road (be very careful what you tackle, or you too may become experienced at fixing bodywork).
I really don't see most vehicles as reliable... although after re-engineering/modification/replacement of components and assemblies they can become so... its an evolutionary thing...
No common, reasonably priced dual purpose vehicle is acceptable to me, long term... Modification is a way of life...
First make it perform well; then make it look good...
Enjoy!
My DD and off roader is a 2nd Gen V8. It's on dirt roads everyday. I don't know about a build out but I camp in it a lot

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I really wanted an older generation Explorer (mine is a 2003; half step between generations with a leaf sprung straight axle in the rear) but the 2 door versions in any gen seem to be quite hard to find. Had a '96 4 door V-8 for a while but it was too big/long for me to really enjoy driving it.

Bigger tires (use moderation or you may suffer reduced on road performance/drive-ability), a moderate lift (and running board removal, if equipped) will give older, leaf sprung rear axle, Explorer's plenty of ground clearance for most semi maintained roads/trails; and even some, though probably not all moderately difficult 4wd trails.

I use mine for civilized (relatively easy to access camp sites) camping and daily driving; In my opinion Explorers are underrated for camping/moderate off road; some older ones, the ones with frames, were based on the Ranger pickup trucks ....(have a '94 Ranger (2wd, dang it!) too its one tough little truck).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
..Looks good!
Besides being good DD (Daily Drivers) and relatively capable on easy to moderate trails I find that Explorers are great vehicles on road ... did a 1700 mile trip a couple of weeks ago... much more comfortable than my Jeep or pickup.

They are relatively inexpensive on the used market just avoid the 2003 and earlier 4.0 SOHC (single over head cam) engine; had to do a timing chain & guide replacement in mine last fall... should be good for a few more miles now... (the earlier cam in block 4.0 liter engine is much more reliable and highly recommended).

Enjoy!

saleenlimited

ive owned 8 explorers over the years and still currently have 3. With that being said, ive never really wheeled any of them off road. However lately i have a huge want to build an offroad/overland rig. Unfortunately I currently live in the Unconstitutional State of CT where there is ZERO place to overland and explore so i would either be traveling north or south. Anyways, im going back and forth on what to build. Its either going to be a Gen 2 (99-01) V8 Explorer with a Manual T-case or a 99-04 Wj Jeep Cherokee. (however deep down inside i really want to Soild Axle Swap the front and rear of my 06 Gen 4 explorer, but that will never happen) I really want to stick with an Explorer just because i always have loved them. Once i find a clean southern truck then i need to decide if ill be doing a Ranger IFS lift or doing a solid axle swap.

85_Ranger4x4

I keep bouncing between a clean first gen with a late modern GM engine or a second gen with a 5.0.

My Ranger has a lot of Explorer in it (springs, rear axle, basically front axle, engine accessories)... I am rapidly running out of seats though.

I prefer the front axle on the first gen by a lot as well as the exterior styling. 4.0 is good for crawling but kinda lacking on the highway. Automatic trans (for wifey) is lackluster. Second gen has the 5.0 and 4R70W but has the SLA front end and is hard to find under 200k miles.

And of course most 20+ year old Explorers have been abused for the better part of a decade as a cheap beater.

Last edited:

Grassland

Any thoughts on the new 2020 Explorer that's gone back to RWD?

Other than of course it's way too much $ and full of bling even on an XLT, and missing low range?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior