2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
con kso, will reply a bit later--good stuff!

Subscribed and looking forward to following along...

Good choice on the chassis cab platform!

Having owned a somewhat problematic 2018 FWC Hawk, and getting pushed to wits ends with horrendous service with issues since new, i offer 2 suggestions...

-Wait until they finalize their new furnace system!!! They are currently looking at new options because the Dometic/Atwood redesign of it in 2018 has been nothing but headaches for lots of owners of new expensive campers, myself included!!

-Order without a fridge and install your own, much more efficient unit. I know multiple friends on their 3rd or even 4th Isotherm in their FWC.

I loved the FWC design and concept, but the appliances (and entire camper wiring) in the 2018+ absolutely sucked, and their after sale service sucked even more. Unless you live somewhat close to a FWC dealer, you may be in for a bad time...

Building a FWC flatbed SHELL would be the best of all worlds.

If you're dead set on going with an FWC, also closely look at putting a slide in model on that flatbed to maximize external storage. Having had both configurations, the external storage is a HUGEEEE benefit

I'd also strongly suggest doing your own solar. You can do a much higher quality more efficient system for less.

My Un-Solicited two cents

Thanks Kevin, following your RAM build as well.

Updated furnace; word is that at this point it's all rumors. Probably not a change for 2yrs or so, if there is a change at all. At the recent dealer meeting it was mentioned for a brief minute but no concrete plans. Sounds to me like FWC doesn't have their finger on the direct pulse of client issues/complaints/FB group chatter. Doesn't make me excited about that. :(
Asking if ordering an FWC without fridge is an option. Since I was already denied another similar request, I highly doubt this is an option. Are Isotherm's in general an issue, or just the specific 65/85/130L models FWC has chosen as available options?

3hrs away from FWC dealer, so not too bad.

No FWC flatbed shell as FWC states that their interior cabinetry is key to the structure of the flatbed model, i.e. that if the cabinets weren't there, the walls would be flimsy.

Slide-in with side boxes like your Tundra was discussed, but just a much more narrow corridor/hallway feeling for us/dogs. Flatbed model feels much more open, plus the rear window in the flatbed allows considerable light which you don't get with most of the slide-in layouts.

Here's the 411 on the solar, so no option to have the FWC prepped with more than 1 exterior solar panel plug, meaning if FWC's solar option isn't purchased, the most solar I could easily run is 160W; "They are all prepped for the one solar panel standard. They will not install 2 plugs unless you order a dual solar panel option. If you are going to run more than 160W of solar then you will need the dual plugs. It is only 10ga. wire to the one standard plug, hence not being able to handle more solar. The work around is to install 2 plugs, each using 10ga wire. It is due to the roof being lifted 1000's of times over the life. If they ran 1 heavier wire then it would be subject to excessive bending, and could break. Due to the cost and work needed, it is only offered when ordering the full dual solar system. They are now also offering an option with 200aH of lithium batteries, a RedArc Manager 30."

Keep the feedback coming y'all!

Joek6.5

Thanks, I didn't know he was at Northstar before. He needs some flatbed pictures on his site, all slide-in's.

Thanks. Looks like steel only? I'm looking for aluminum to save some weight.

They’re aluminum. I have one on my pickup, here’s a photo of it.

dbf56a14ee0ff27443a2f8b89bcb8b0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer

Updated furnace; word is that at this point it's all rumors. Probably not a change for 2yrs or so, if there is a change at all. At the recent dealer meeting it was mentioned for a brief minute but no concrete plans. Sounds to me like FWC doesn't have their finger on the direct pulse of client issues/complaints/FB group chatter. Doesn't make me excited about that. :(
Asking if ordering an FWC without fridge is an option. Since I was already denied another similar request, I highly doubt this is an option. Are Isotherm's in general an issue, or just the specific 65/85/130L models FWC has chosen as available options?

No FWC flatbed shell as FWC states that their interior cabinetry is key to the structure of the flatbed model, i.e. that if the cabinets weren't there, the walls would be flimsy.

Slide-in with side boxes like your Tundra was discussed, but just a much more narrow corridor/hallway feeling for us/dogs. Flatbed model feels much more open, plus the rear window in the flatbed allows considerable light which you don't get with most of the slide-in layouts.

Here's the 411 on the solar, so no option to have the FWC prepped with more than 1 exterior solar panel plug, meaning if FWC's solar option isn't purchased, the most solar I could easily run is 160W; "They are all prepped for the one solar panel standard. They will not install 2 plugs unless you order a dual solar panel option. If you are going to run more than 160W of solar then you will need the dual plugs. It is only 10ga. wire to the one standard plug, hence not being able to handle more solar. The work around is to install 2 plugs, each using 10ga wire. It is due to the roof being lifted 1000's of times over the life. If they ran 1 heavier wire then it would be subject to excessive bending, and could break. Due to the cost and work needed, it is only offered when ordering the full dual solar system. They are now also offering an option with 200aH of lithium batteries, a RedArc Manager 30."

There is no reason you can't run more solar on the stock FWC solar wiring. 10AWG is good for at least 30A (so 360W if you put your panels in parallel, or more if you put them in series). I have run 320W through my stock Fleet flatbed wiring with no issues.

Everyone's experience is different, but I have had no issues in 4 years with my 65L isotherm, and it is reasonably efficient. The ~2016 furnace has also been fine (it seems to be the newer ones that have problems) but I would love to replace it with a Truma Combi at some point, mostly for quieter more even heat.

Agreed that the flatbed layout is far superior. I tried a slide in Fleet before getting the flatbed, and I honestly had very little interest in buying a slide in - the galley layout has a terrible flow.
I guess there is no way to get the spare under the bed with the cab/chassis? Much less of a hassle to store it out of the way.

con kso

Adventurer
You know, something interesting - I haven't had any problems with my furnace. I guess I got lucky (knock on wood, now probably cursing myself to a deluge of heater problems).

I have 200watts of solar I installed on top of the camper - it's worked well and again, I seem to be the exception but my battery bank charges up full with stock wiring from alternator - according to my Victron BVM bluetooth readout. From my previous truck I have a portable Zamp 160 watt panel with integrated charge controller. I attached a charging SAE pigtail to my battery bank and if I want to use the portable panel, I open the battery compartment door and just plug in the portable panel right there. I can't use the rear solar plug with the Zamp portable because it has its own controller.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but everything seems to work. With one exception... the Fantastic Fan over my bed - I'm not sure what happened to that thing but it would crank itself open when I would drive. I have no idea why. Harmonics? Anyway, it ended up destroying itself a couple of times. The first time the factory fixed it, the second time I was OVER IT and had a MaxxAir vent and fan installed. I like the MaxxAir so much better that I might have the rear vent replaced with another Maxxair. Something to consider - order the camper without Fantastic Fans and replace with MaxxAir (they are such a better design).

I like the layout of the flatbed much better than the slide in. Like a friend says, "with a flatbed, you're not living in a hallway". Also, your door isn't at the rear in a cloud of dust while you drive down the road. Although I DO like the slide in flatbed builds with the full length boxes above and below the surface of the flatbed - now that is a cool design. Outside storage is super useful.

mobydick 11

Thanks Brad!

Yeah, friend and I have noticed how few of RegularCab's there are anymore. Most all CrewCab's, maybe a few SuperCab's.
So you must have the heavy duty 240amp alternator that mine does.

SpaceKap--have you seen, or is it yours, the one with the wood slatting on the ceiling?
I do not know how to post pictures ,so its not mine . Yes the plow package gives you the 240 amp plus a designated switch that shuts down all unnecessary power draws . It also has two spring ratings above computer normal and heavy duty shocks . the camper package gives rear heave duty springs and helper springs ,heavy duty shocks and sway bars

Paredneck

Observer
I have a slide in on a flat bed. I would live a side entry over the rear entry option. My ideal custom camper would be a rear dinette layout but with a full length bed box notched into the drivers side of the camper. A mix of both I guess. One day I’ll get around to building it.

my big concern is the 6.2 gas motor. Maybe there is something g wrong with mine but the power and fuel economy suck! No way I would ever take the flatbed and camper off my diesel and put it on my gas truck.

con kso

Adventurer

Do you have a timeline on your flatbed build? Would love to see the progress.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There is no reason you can't run more solar on the stock FWC solar wiring. 10AWG is good for at least 30A (so 360W if you put your panels in parallel, or more if you put them in series). I have run 320W through my stock Fleet flatbed wiring with no issues.

Everyone's experience is different, but I have had no issues in 4 years with my 65L isotherm, and it is reasonably efficient. The ~2016 furnace has also been fine (it seems to be the newer ones that have problems) but I would love to replace it with a Truma Combi at some point, mostly for quieter more even heat.

Agreed that the flatbed layout is far superior. I tried a slide in Fleet before getting the flatbed, and I honestly had very little interest in buying a slide in - the galley layout has a terrible flow.
I guess there is no way to get the spare under the bed with the cab/chassis? Much less of a hassle to store it out of the way.

Interesting, thx for this info! Investigating more.

Good to hear no issues with your 65L Isotherm.
Ugh on the newer Dometic/Atwood furnaces having more problems. I'm told the issues have been run up the Dometic flag pole. I have a brand new Espar D2 in hand, hmmmm.

Glad you agree on the flatbed layout vs slide-in.
On my chassis-cab, the 40gal fuel tank is in the (pickup's) spare tire location. Don't think there's enough room to put under the frame, aft of cab. Plus, I'd like to put an aux heated water tank in that location. Am ok with making the flatbed longer aft of camper, and placing spare(s), aux fuel, Maxtrax, axe/shovel, jack, etc there.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You know, something interesting - I haven't had any problems with my furnace. I guess I got lucky (knock on wood, now probably cursing myself to a deluge of heater problems).

I have 200watts of solar I installed on top of the camper - it's worked well and again, I seem to be the exception but my battery bank charges up full with stock wiring from alternator - according to my Victron BVM bluetooth readout. From my previous truck I have a portable Zamp 160 watt panel with integrated charge controller. I attached a charging SAE pigtail to my battery bank and if I want to use the portable panel, I open the battery compartment door and just plug in the portable panel right there. I can't use the rear solar plug with the Zamp portable because it has its own controller.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but everything seems to work. With one exception... the Fantastic Fan over my bed - I'm not sure what happened to that thing but it would crank itself open when I would drive. I have no idea why. Harmonics? Anyway, it ended up destroying itself a couple of times. The first time the factory fixed it, the second time I was OVER IT and had a MaxxAir vent and fan installed. I like the MaxxAir so much better that I might have the rear vent replaced with another Maxxair. Something to consider - order the camper without Fantastic Fans and replace with MaxxAir (they are such a better design).

I like the layout of the flatbed much better than the slide in. Like a friend says, "with a flatbed, you're not living in a hallway". Also, your door isn't at the rear in a cloud of dust while you drive down the road. Although I DO like the slide in flatbed builds with the full length boxes above and below the surface of the flatbed - now that is a cool design. Outside storage is super useful.

Thx for the feedback John.
I have a new in box Grape 160W panel I'd like to use.
Been hearing/reading some issues with Zamp products on the Sprinter Revel forums, and from others. :(

MaxxAir > Fantastic for sure! Yes, will be going with dual roof vents, but then upgrading on own to the 2 new MaxxAir fans I have from Transit project. Thanks for that suggestion.

Yep, another downside to slide-in is accessing a filthy door.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I do not know how to post pictures ,so its not mine . Yes the plow package gives you the 240 amp plus a designated switch that shuts down all unnecessary power draws . It also has two spring ratings above computer normal and heavy duty shocks . the camper package gives rear heave duty springs and helper springs ,heavy duty shocks and sway bars

I found the SpaceKap build for you; https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/truck-utility-spacekap-to-camper-conversion.199313/

So you must have the 400W(max)/110V plug in the right center of dash too?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I have a slide in on a flat bed. I would live a side entry over the rear entry option. My ideal custom camper would be a rear dinette layout but with a full length bed box notched into the drivers side of the camper. A mix of both I guess. One day I’ll get around to building it.

my big concern is the 6.2 gas motor. Maybe there is something g wrong with mine but the power and fuel economy suck! No way I would ever take the flatbed and camper off my diesel and put it on my gas truck.

With storage boxes under the sides, above flatbed deck?

What year truck, how many miles, what size tires, what axle ratio/gears? What MPG are you seeing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78