Buying off of Alibaba?

Nathansharkey80

Buying a used one isn't exactly "buying american" sure you'll have a american made product but your purchase did not support the american business only the guy you bought it from. Its just like used video game sales, all the profit to the reseller of the games and none to the actual studio (or whatever you want to call it)

On topic, Ive purchased many things from alibaba and like others have said its hit or miss. Best bet is to ask questions and do your part to ensure you are receiving what you want.

Actually you are wrong. Buying a used American made product actually does help the American worker and the American company that they work for because it helps their resale value of their product. People know that resale value is an important consideration when making a purchase. Especially a large value purchase.

Buying from China is actually a big problem around the world. It has hit not only USA job markets but also Canadian ones, European ones and Australian ones. Buying from China wouldn’t be a bad thing if the quality of the product was the same. But unfortunately the same principles that go in to the economic model for paying their staff also apply to their own purchasing principles when buying materials. You end up with inferior products filling up land fills globally. It is a big problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
I’ve bought lots of things from alibaba never had a problem. Largest purchase was a RTT. Only had issues with lightbars. Which either got refunded and I kept the defected product. Or they discounted me.

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
For what it’s worth and speaking as a manufacturer in the United States and Australia....
When one purchases counterfeit product they are aiding and abetting a thief, plain and simple.
Such actions are frowned upon by those who are stolen from, it’s not a nice thing to do.
Especially now, the power of one spent dollar has never meant so much to so many.

kodiak-black

Observer
One upside is there are some interesting products on their website that I'd love to see in the US market. They're possibly a copy of something but it's an alternative if otherwise unavailable in this market.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Rationalize all you wish, it’s still ripped off others designs.

Every year it gets worse at the OE events. More and more we see individuals photographing and videoing gear to send it overseas to be knocked off and then sold online or by mass marketers.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I just received a test order from a manufacturer in China. The product had the same function as the advertised piece. But instead of a high gloss finish I got raw plastic, instead of stainless locks they installed Crome plated flimsy plastics push locks. they also promised built in lights. It has lights but by no means will they survive the first rain shower as the item is meant to be installed on the exterior of the camper. Needless to say we asked for the full refund and thank goodness got it.
full disclaimer: we own and operate a factory in China and I’m fully aware of how business is done over there. This order was a crap shoot and it showed me again that I should never ever buy anything from China without having a reputable company behind it.

RangeDrive

Observer
Look into MDC trailers. They import into the US and I’m pretty sure they’re the same thing as these Chinese trailers

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Remember that a trailer is a vehicle and has to comply with DOT and NHTSA regulations. The manufactures also have to be registered with the DOT and to produce a VIN need to have registered with the SAE. This makes importing by and individual prohibitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78