Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, that part number might be wrong in the BP catalog then, or I am misreading it. It shows them as steel wheels, defender 90. Maybe it is a AMR1534PM? I know the wheels are 16x6.5-7, as I measured them.

I will check the wheels too, to see if there is a PN on them

Scott Brady

Founder
A little testing with the truck in Box Canyon, AZ today. We have fit several very stout bits from RoverTracks, including all new tie-rod and drag-link with brand-new LR Genuine ends. This also moved the steering damper from low and behind the axle to in the front and up high.

I also installed a set of HD rear lower links that are clearanced (angled) to prevent impact or bending on the trail. All of this significantly tightened up the handling and steering precision.

More parts are going on this weekend, just in time for SEMA.

Here is a teaser
AZLRO.jpg

revor

Explorer
Can you feel it? Relieving all that tension in the suspension just makes it feel better. Not adding loads of articulation, just a bit more relaxed.

Then again Tension+Beer=relaxed...

No it's a mechanic thing I guess... No real way to explain it..

:sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
A few more pictures of the "testing" day :)

AZLRO%20(1).jpg

AZLRO%20(6).jpg

AZLRO%20(5).jpg

Today, the mods continued, and we fitted sliders from Inland Rovers, new front control arms that adjusted the caster and a rear pinion angle adjuster, also from Inland Rovers. Next is a set of lights, nav, new tires and wheels (for SEMA only) and mounting the National Luna fridge to a new Adventure Trailers drawer system.

Be sure to let us know your impressions of the adjustable rear top link.

I'm still not particularly happy with my rear pinion angle, but so far so good :)

Rexsname

Explorer
Scott,

I'm curious as to why you would need to change out the wheel/tire combination for the SEMA show? Is it just to make the Disco a bit more 'showy'? I thought the understated look was the whole point.....

REX

Scott Brady

Founder
Rexsname said:
Scott,

I'm curious as to why you would need to change out the wheel/tire combination for the SEMA show? Is it just to make the Disco a bit more 'showy'? I thought the understated look was the whole point.....

REX

It is just to try something different. I will likely keep the bigger tires and wheels for the more technical trails, etc.

Overall, I am very happy with the simple look of the Disco in its current state. For SEMA, it is fun to push the limits a bit and test things out.

Scott Brady

Founder
:wings:

Disco_SEMA.jpg

The new tires (there two extra are for the Chaser)

Here is a shot of Keith's stout tie-rod. I also replaced all of the ends with LR Genuine parts.
Disco_SEMA%20(1).jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Inland Rover Goodness

This stuff should be on display in an art gallery...

Pinion Angle Adjuster: Totally eliminated all vibes.

Disco_SEMA%20(2).jpg

All of the goodness, ready to go on: All from Inland Rovers
Disco_SEMA%20(3).jpg

Front control arms, absolute perfection, and the welds are beautiful:
Disco_SEMA%20(4).jpg

I cannot begin to describe the transformation all of these components has done to the Disco. It rides and drives better than any vehicle I have modified. No rattles, no vibrations, perfect caster, solid, yet handles exceptional, even with no anti-swaybars attached.

I am more than impressed.

More details in the winter issue of Overland Journal :)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Antichrist said:
Interesting, that PN is for 5.5" 109/110 civvy wheels.

I have done some more research.

Here is the exact part number for my wheels, taken from the stamping:
ANR4636

They are 16x5.5 with a 33mm BS.

Sorry for the confusion, as I had ordered/thought a different wheel was arriving.

Fortunately, these are perfect, and I am very happy with their size, offset and quality.

Scott Brady

Founder
jeff_wright said:
What do the new control arms do? Are they just longer to compensate for the change in angle from the lift?

They are longer to bring the WB back.
They are angled to adjust the caster back 4-5 degrees
They also angle down at the frame point to drop the bars, reducing the total arm angle.

Oh, and they are lighter, and welded up oh so sexy :D

Scott Brady

Founder
235/85 R16 BFG MT KM2 :)

They will be mounted to Outback TX1 wheels, 16x7

For the Adventure Trailer, I am fitting an adapter from the Toyota lug pattern to the Land Rover lug pattern. This will also work to space the wheels outward, increasing the track (basically the same width overall as the 295s, but shorter).
:archaeolo

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
What I like the most about this project is Scott's enthusiasm for it. It seems he's found a vehicle that (at least for him) has soul. Hopefully it will be with him for a long time, like the Trooper.

Makes me want to go out and find a Disco just like it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger