Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

phsycle

Adventurer
I think this sequoia is exactly why we aren’t getting the new LC300 in N. America. Enthusiasts will always prefer the badge to say Land Cruiser but on paper they are going to be very very similar.
I asked it in the LC thread, but does anybody know if the locker is optional on all trims or just the TRD pro?

One article I read (from car and driver, I think) said TRD Off Road option (which has the rear locker) is available on all trims. Not 100% sure on the credibility, because they also said it came with a 3.4L TT engine.

XJLI

Adventurer
I don’t think ANY “enthusiast” is buying trucks like that. Lots of them do own 200s, but a ton of us WOULD buy a 70 Series doublecab diesel if it were available here, which was my point. Toyota does not care what we want. They care about what they can sell, and most North Americans seem brainwashed to think they need the biggest luxury filled turd they can find. It’s sad really, but that’s what a market driven economy is all about.

How many is a ton? 100 people? 200?

You are correct, Toyota will only sell what they can sell in volume for profit. Which is why the Supra is a BMW.. because they'd never make up the R&D on the car if they did it themselves.

stom_m3

Observer
I'll probably change my gen 2 Sequoia for the gen 3. My gen 2 has been very capable for anyone that has followed my thread. My concern with the gen 3 is the hybrid power plant. It adds 430lbs over the non-hybrid version. Also, how well will the added motor/batteries/electronics hold up over miles of continuous wash boards, bumps, etc.

That said, after a lift, 34" tires, and underbody protection, a lot of the off-road concerns go away. I personally haven't had any durability issues with my gen 2. I'm hoping they offer the non-max version.

Last thing, how could they not add tow hooks to the front? A big miss in my opinion.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I kinda dig it. Kinda looks like a very large T4R. Looks like its direct competition with the wagoneer given how similar they both look to their little siblings.

I imagine it would make for a great kid and toy hauler. I'll 100% be keeping my truck but we do need an SUV to keep up with the growing family. Definitely a contender!

ricoisme26

I think this sequoia is exactly why we aren’t getting the new LC300 in N. America. Enthusiasts will always prefer the badge to say Land Cruiser but on paper they are going to be very very similar.
I asked it in the LC thread, but does anybody know if the locker is optional on all trims or just the TRD pro?

I believe the locker comes with TRD off road package as well as the TRD PRO trim

phsycle

Adventurer
*Ahem*

View attachment 703983
View attachment 703984

And I have to admit I realllllly wanted a Gladiator. Badly. It just wasn't enough truck to do the truck things we need a truck to do....

View attachment 703985

?

Well, case in point, I guess, the JT annual sales are about 1/3 of JL’s. And it rides better than the 70 and the roof comes off! Different market.
They’re lifestyle trucks made to carry kayaks and camp gear. An suv with a bed, not a truck. Like a Tacoma.

phsycle

Adventurer
$60k gets you a nearly loaded JT. A $60k LC70 won't have power windows or cruise control.

Did Toyota ever address the track width issue on the 70’s? That would drive me bonkers. And inexcusable for the price.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It has become the front runner for my wife's next vehicle. I'll wait and see what the next gen GX/4Runner has in store but the extra space of the Sequoia would be nice for the dogs and long haul travel gear.

T-Willy

While I'm not lining up to get one, it's inarguable that (1) the new Sequoia is far better suited to remote touring than the previous generation, and (2) concurrent generations of Sequoia and Land Cruiser have never been more similar. I welcome the hybrid platform for sake of efficiency, cost of operation and reducing greenhouse gas pollution. It's a little long and low-slung for some of the travel that I do, but I expect a robust aftermarket for the TNGA platform. Given increased towing capability, I'm eager to see payload. On balance, I think Toyota did well.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
While I'm not lining up to get one, it's inarguable that (1) the new Sequoia is far better suited to remote touring than the previous generation, and (2) concurrent generations of Sequoia and Land Cruiser have never been more similar. I welcome the hybrid platform for sake of efficiency, cost of operation and reducing greenhouse gas pollution. It's a little long and low-slung for some of the travel that I do, but I expect a robust aftermarket for the TNGA platform. Given increased towing capability, I'm eager to see payload. On balance, I think Toyota did well.

how is a vehicle that doesn’t even have locations for recovery points “inarguably “ better for remote touring?

You probably are not wrong, but I take issue with the quoted word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger