As if new Jeeps aren’t expensive enough….new legal ruling likely will increase standard MSRPs, will apply to other makes too

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Arizona Supreme Court Ruling allows Jeep to be sued for young girl's death because the vehicle involved in a fatal crash did not have automatic safety features that were available but not included in the model involved…

The wrongful death lawsuit from parents of a young girl killed when her mom’s car was rear-ended by a Jeep on a freeway in Phoenix has been allowed by the AZ Supreme Court to proceed against the vehicles manufacturer, seemingly under the rationale that the Jeep’s manufacturer failed to install automatic emergency braking devices on that SUV. That safety feature was available as optional equipment but not included on that specific vehicle.

In a ruling handed down today, the court rejected arguments from lawyers for Jeep parent company Fiat Chrysler, that the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's decision not to require these devices on every car sold pre-empted the state lawsuit.

My take is…..If the case is ultimately successful at the trial for damages, this could very well mean that auto makers will next have to include as standard equipment on all vehicles sold, all of the reasonably available safety features that previously have been options requiring cost add ons to cars’ purchase prices. Obviously, making all these formerly optional safety features standard will jump up the price for base models of all new vehicles sold in the US.

What duty of care under negligence law would this now create? One is left wondering just how far reaching the impact of this ruling will be. For example, if you don’t get run flat tires on your new rig and have a blow out that causes you to lose control and crash, injuring someone, will the vehicle manufacturer be liable? Or next, maybe the driver for not choosing that option?

*In this case, it was pointed out that the Jeep involved in the fatal crash could have been equipped with the automatic emergency braking system, except that safety feature (allegedly costing the manufacturer only @ $100) was available only as an option in a upgraded package adding an additional $10,000 to its base price.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
There is nothing simple about this ruling, and there are several important nuances involved here that you don’t understand, including the federal pre-emption doctrine taking a big hit, and chipping away at the prior standard of care protection in product liability cases successfully used as defenses by manufacturers where the goods they sold met current US government safety regs.

Here’s another key issue in this ruling BB, that now would create a major change in auto liability law if not reversed by the USSCT:

“The decision also overturned a similar 2019 decision that said automakers were immune to such lawsuits because of the federal agency's decision not to require the technology.”

Yeah, they still do need to go forward with the jury trial to rule on the causation issue and the amount of damages issues (if causation is satisfactorily proven) but in a major sense, this ruling opens the door to more lawsuits by others for such liability. And in reality, once a case gets this far, settlement is usually gonna follow close behind.

Chrysler is gonna be screwed if a jury believes that a $100 safety feature could have saved the life of a little girl, and that, as the family’s lawyer claims, “modeling done by experts determined that if …(the) emergency braking had been installed on the Jeep, (she) would not have died.”….and that, “It would have automatically braked that car, and this accident would have been a clean miss…(a)t worst…a fender bender.”

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
“modeling done by experts determined that if …(the) emergency braking had been installed on the Jeep, (she) would not have died.”….and that, “It would have automatically braked that car, and this accident would have been a clean miss…(a)t worst…a fender bender.”

You can't be too safe!!!!!! And your safety is the responsibility of everyone else... not yours... ?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You can't be too safe!!!!!! And your safety is the responsibility of everyone else... not yours... ?

Too right….it’s like the incredibly stupid new ad for the self steering Chevy trucks, with the idiot driver playing patti cake with his passenger and not paying my attention to where the vehicle is headed.

Yup, Just rely on our new, super cool AI technology and you can completely ignore your responsibility as the driver! What could possibly go wrong? Sheesh!

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I'm amazed... but glad... that we are still allowed to do stuff like ride motorcycles.

"It's BMW's fault that someone crashed one of their motorcycles and died... if he'd been in one of their cars instead, he would have been fine."

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Vehicle manufacturers have been bundling safety gadgets into huge add-on packages for a long time now. And I wish it would stop.To get a decent pair of headlights on a truck you have to add a bunch of crap that you don't want.
Maybe that's all that will come of this. A la carte ordering.

Yeah, I can’t enjoy driving my wife’s newer Subaru so I very rarely use it. That’s cause it has too many strange safety controls you have to turn on turn off or adjust that all deal with lane change, following too closely, and other safety junk like that that make all these distracting beeps, noises or flashing icons on the dash.

The only safety feature my old Chevy truck has Is an attentive driver who constantly scans surrounding scenery, oncoming vehicles and traffic, etc. I’ve been driving for @ 55 years and I’ve never had a ticket or accident of any kind (knock on wood).

I suppose that all this really proves though is that my wife is smarter and more talented than I am!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, I can’t enjoy driving my wife’s newer Subaru so I very rarely use it. That’s cause it has too many strange safety controls you have to turn on turn off or adjust that all deal with lane change, following too closely, and other safety junk like that that make all these distracting beeps, noises or flashing icons on the dash.

The only safety feature my old Chevy truck has Is an attentive driver who constantly scans surrounding scenery, oncoming vehicles and traffic, etc. I’ve been driving for @ 55 years and I’ve never had a ticket or accident of any kind (knock on wood).

I suppose that all this really proves though is that my wife is smarter and more talented than I am!
My experience exactly.

Kia sent us an invite --- come test drive a Kia and get a $50 Amazon card.
Sure, I'll bite.

I drove their SUV thingie. I think it's a Telluride.
Nice enough SUV, a bit under-powered, but the safety nannies were psychotic! It was making all sorts of distracting racket. I started cursing at it and the sales guy looked frightened. I pulled over and he showed me how to turn all the crap off.
"So if I want the AWD I have to get all this other nonsense? Pay more?"
"yes, afraid so..."
pass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle