Military surplus trailer auction sticker shock!

squamby

First post.. Been looking at the M1101 and M1102 trailer builds and decided to try the auction today. Looking at prior auction results, I see some of the M1102's were going for as low as $900. Today I watched as a M1101 went for $10,250. Wow! Time to start reevaluating the build. Has anyone here run the numbers on what the break-even cost is for buying vs building the frames? I'm not actually an avid offroader, so don't need the offset axle. I only need the same axle height as my 4X4 RAM 1500. I can buy steel and weld, buy axle kit, wheels, etc. Right now I'm just in sticker shock from that auction!

auction.jpg

jmmaxus

First post.. Been looking at the M1101 and M1102 trailer builds and decided to try the auction today. Looking at prior auction results, I see some of the M1102's were going for as low as $900. Today I watched as a M1101 went for $10,250. Wow! Time to start reevaluating the build. Has anyone here run the numbers on what the break-even cost is for buying vs building the frames? I'm not actually an avid offroader, so don't need the offset axle. I only need the same axle height as my 4X4 RAM 1500. I can buy steel and weld, buy axle kit, wheels, etc. Right now I'm just in sticker shock from that auction!

View attachment 746991

These trailers are heavy gauge aluminum put together with huck fasteners (no welds). Only equivalent retail version that I know of is the Schutt Xventure than retails for >$17k for base model. They also manufacture the M1101/1102. Yes I’ve ran the numbers on building a trailer similar to this same material and method. A huck gun with enough force to set the size huck fasteners will cost around $3500, $400 for the nose piece, and each fastener is around $2. There are like 300 of those in this frame. The frame is made of 1/4” thick aluminum so is 3-4 times the cost of steel. If you look at it from this perspective in my opinion those military auction trailers are a bargain.

I think it was the fact it had a lid or enclosed shell is why it went for so much. That lid was probably made of heavy gauge aluminum as well.

If your talking building a steel trailer by welding one up etc. then you can do that for a fraction of the cost. Check out this video a great build series and in this video he breaks down the cost ($4656).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porkchopexpress

I looked at that style trailer 4 to 5 years ago and they were way less. Like 2K, (although this particular trailer looks like it is in great condition). You would need to replace the wheels with something much smaller if you want it to tow level, pretty sure the bolt pattern isn't common so you would have to replace the hub or axle. The pintle hitch would be easy to replace but that's another unique feature. I think prices will fall on these things if you are patient.

Edit: Another issue, I have towed a trailer like this with equipment mounted on it behind a Suburban and above 55 it is terrible. A gust of wind from a truck caused it to fishtail 90 degrees. They are designed to be towed behind heavy armored vehicles at slow speed.

Last edited:

jmmaxus

I looked at that style trailer 4 to 5 years ago and they were way less. Like 2K, (although this particular trailer looks like it is in great condition). You would need to replace the wheels with something much smaller if you want it to tow level, pretty sure the bolt pattern isn't common so you would have to replace the hub or axle. The pintle hitch would be easy to replace but that's another unique feature. I think prices will fall on these things if you are patient.

Edit: Another issue, I have towed a trailer like this with equipment mounted on it behind a Suburban and above 55 it is terrible. A gust of wind from a truck caused it to fishtail 90 degrees. They are designed to be towed behind heavy armored vehicles at slow speed.

Same reasons I decided against these. Too wide. Uncommon brakes, pintle, and wheels. If you have a full size truck to match the width and they way it is works for you or you convert it, they can still be a bargain and a good platform. Just wouldn’t work for me, and why I’ve been looking at building one same material and methods just not as wide and using more common components. That and I don’t want to pay $17k+ for the Xventure.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I’ve been looking at building one same material and methods just not as wide and using more common components.

Before investing that much into what is essentially an overbuilt utility trailer, I would take some serious time to think about your intended use case and what level of durability you'll actually require.

I'd argue that for the vast majority of us, a $900 utility trailer from the local Walmart would be more than sufficient.

I have a 5x10 "folding frame" trailer that I bought for about $900 some four years ago. I bolted down some 3/4" plywood flooring, used 2x10 pressure treated lumber for sidewalls and tailgate, added three 8ft long e-tracks and called it a day. The trailer is galvanized steel, c-channel. Almost certainly (can't remember) made in China, simple and basic. I've used this trailer to haul 4500lbs of flooring, tons of appliances and furniture, 3000lbs of gravel, and of course, all our camping gear several hours on forest service roads. The trailer is no worse for wear despite all the abuse.

(Admittedly, I did blow a tire when I had it under-inflated and overloaded.)

Short of ramming my trailer into trees/rocks, I simply cannot imagine a scenario in which I damage it during any camping trip.

And here it is hauling my new barrel sauna home this past Tuesday:

wpbkhH2.jpg

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

Before investing that much into what is essentially an overbuilt utility trailer, I would take some serious time to think about your intended use case and what level of durability you'll actually require.
This is a very good point. In my experience, anything that is marketed as "overland" has a premium price built in. There are many very nice utility or flatbed or car hauler style trailers made for the commercial market and priced very reasonably.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Once everyone started discovering the surplus auction thing, it kinda went a bit nuts. I was lucky and caught probably the last big sale of M101's on Govplanet, shoot 5 years ago now and snagged one for about $300. Not sure you can even get close to that now if you can find one. M1101's or 1102's were too big for me sizewise. At this point if you know someone that can weld.... That said I had a little harbor freight trailer and it did well for what it was, just not big enough.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
In addition to the example above, I know Harbor Freight used to sell trailers of the same exact design, but in painted (non-galvanized) and 4x8' form. Check your local Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Kijiji - you should be able to easily find them at reasonable prices. (Unless your local market is incredibly skewed, which can happen in some smaller places.)

If it helps, my trailer is manufactured by "Salter."

Last edited:

jmmaxus

I'd argue that for the vast majority of us, a $900 utility trailer from the local Walmart would be more than sufficient.

I agree vast majority don’t need anything more. It’s a want really. I’ve looked at the utility trailer route and adding dinoot racks etc to get it how I would want it and I may still go that route but really it’s not what I want. Actually what I want nobody builds: all aluminum enclosed huck bolted trailer that’s not overly wide or has some of the uncommon components as the OP auction trailer. That is why I’ve been looking at building one. I pretty much have it completed in CAD software and I’ve gotten some metal quotes on the aluminum but I’m going to send off for a new quote to see how much for laser tube cutting to punch the holes, and need a quote on some custom brackets. If I decided to go the huck bolt route which the tooling would cost $4k+ I’d likely be building more than one and selling one or so.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I’ve got a military trailer I bought many years ago, would love to sell it as my project never happened- actually took waaay different direction…

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Actually what I want nobody builds: all aluminum enclosed huck bolted trailer that’s not overly wide or has some of the uncommon components as the OP auction trailer.

These bon't be huck bolted, but they have plenty of aluminium options, and as I understand it, they are willing to customize/custom-build to your needs, too: http://www.expresstrailer.ca/

They are located on Vancouver Island, here in British Columbia. May be a good starting point for what you want, and import into the US should be trivial and inexpensive. Remember that their prices are in CAD, and at current exchange rates one 'murican eagle is about six hundred Canadian Pesos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78