Arkto Campers G12 Leads the Pack for Offroad Hybrid Pop-ups especially if you want it to fit in an 8-foot Garage

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

There are a bunch of off-road pop-up campers hitting the market these days. Several that are mass produced Chinese made as well as several North American craft builder types.

There are only a few that are garageable in an 8-foot garage (95"). The Arkto Campers G12 measures 93 inches! Not sure how many folks live in an area like mine where indoor storage space starts at $375 a month, HOA rules won't allow parking rig in driveway and you live at high altitude which means lots of snow. Or you want a stand-up trailer that travels under 8 feet in height. That extra two feet plus of height on a non-pop-up creates potential sway, kills gas mileage and makes rigs more roll prone while off roading regardless of the mack daddy trailing arm suspension they all come with these days.

I have been helping a few folks decide on the best rig in this space that can fit into an 8 foot garage. (95") So let's do a deep dive into the 2023 Arkto Campers G12.

Starting with the foundation. The chassis. I'm told it's fully engineered and constructed from laser cut and formed cold rolled steel. Welded in house on a jig, and then hot dip galvanized in a tank that is large enough to dip the entire chassis in a single dip. Not many galvanizers have large enough tanks to do this. This chassis will literally be corrosion free for a lifetime.

Fresh water tank is 39 gallons installed right on top of axel line with under belly protection.

No gray tank which could be a negative to some but it does simplify things; saves weight, saves space, and makes it easier to winterize. This rig is a camper not an RV. It forces you outside to cook, shower and use the porti potti (Also a unique system to use the porti potty inside as well). If you roll with environmentally friendly soaps, no worries about draining gray water into the camp fire.

The 2023 models are speced with top of the line everything:

Composite construction

Timbren HD Axeless suspension

Max Coupler

270-degree awning

Shower enclosure w/ shower

Truma Combi furnace and hot water heater

Huge slide out kitchen with a stove, sink, and a unique system to house and protect the water and gas lines. Versus other that kind of just slide around on the floor when the kitchen is sliding in and out.

Outdoor pantry!

75 Liter 12v fridge/freezer

Aluminum cabinetry

Thetford portable toilet

Massive amount of storage - I was told that the newest modifications amount to 100 cubic feet of storage!!

The material they use in the tent pop up is top notch. And the optional insulated canvas is an inch thick and truly insulates - and the wiring into the roof is some of the cleanest I have ever seen.

The new electrical management system is pretty cool, and the trailer comes with an MPPT solar charge controller as well as a DC-DC charge controller.

Dry weight is 3,500 pounds. GVWR is 4,600 so towable with SUV and smaller pickups.

19" ground clearance. I'm told that they are working on making it even lighter.

Also, they just modified things so that it sleeps 4! 2 adults (Queen bed) and 2 children.

FYI- I believe the 2023 models totally loaded are in the low 60s in Canadian dollars which is likley under 60 American

Best of all: It's North American made!!

I did notice they have a 2022 demo unit at their Denver dealer for $40k American.

I came to learn about this trailer in such detail, because the owner and I had a good video chat call, and he took the time to show me all of the details of the new trailers. He was very knowledgeable and dedicated to designing and manufacturing his trailers to a very high level. So, I thought I'd share a little bit on here for everyone.

Check out their website or call them for more info. I'm not sure if they're on here to answer questions, but I'll email them to see.

EPO

Great write up, thank you. This is a trailer that I've seen before and like very much except for the wood cabinetry. Nice to hear that they are changing that to aluminum. What I can't tell though is whether all of the 2022 interior wood is now aluminum or is it a mix of both (exterior storage areas for example). Would you be able to clarify? I can't tell from their website either. Not sure why they aren't using composite for the interior cabinetry.

Last edited:

Thanks EPO!

I believe and will confirm all the wood cabinets framing will be aluminum and the faces will be a composite material of some sort.

Still blown away by the winterization up grades on the tent material. Never thought a pop-up could be so well insulated. These guys are from Canada so that makes sense.

Arkto

Great write up, thank you. This is a trailer that I've seen before and like very much except for the wood cabinetry. Nice to hear that they are changing that to aluminum. What I can't tell though is whether all of the 2022 interior wood is now aluminum or is it a mix of both (exterior storage areas for example). Would you be able to clarify? I can't tell from their website either. Not sure why they aren't using composite for the interior cabinetry.

Hey EPO! I can certainly explain. For 2023 models moving foward, out cabinets are all aluminum, including the pantry. Our cabinet doors/lids are made from a product called "Stylelite". It's used in the majority of off-road trailers in Australia. The core is marine grade moisture resistant MDF, and the skins are a high-quality acrylic-capped ABS, 1mm thick and bonded with PUR adhesive (chemical seal). We won't be updating the site until the marketing material is all ready to go. The first round of trailers with this interior are in production right now.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Aaron

EPO

Fantastic! I don't see the dimension sizes on your website; maybe I'm missing it. L x W x H please including the tire in the length. And, is the 93" height mentioned above the tallest point (including fan, awning)?

Also, is it 3 or 4 season?

Last edited:

Grassland

Pretty neat. Nice to see some more production in Canada as well.
A couple years too late for us, and 50% more than we spent, but it's certainly seems to be in line with similar products, and offers that lower tow and storage height but quick set up and a big bed.

EPO from Website:

Exterior Length (hitch to bumper): 16'8"
Exterior Width: 7'1"
Exterior Height: 7'8"
Interior Living Space Length: 12'
Interior Height: 6'7"
Exterior Accessible Storage Space: 75 cubic feet
Interior Accessible Storage Space: 19 cubic feet
Ground Clearance
Main Chassis: 20
Tongue: 18"
Water tank: 16"

The 93 inch height is to top of Maxx Fan.
Probably add 12" for spare tire to listed lenghth

Arkto

Fantastic! I don't see the dimension sizes on your website; maybe I'm missing it. L x W x H please including the tire in the length. And, is the 93" height mentioned above the tallest point (including fan, awning)?

Also, is it 3 or 4 season?

Exterior Length: 19' 10"
Exterior Width: 7' 2" (not including awning)
Exterior Height: 7' 9" (93") (including fan and awning)

Well, it's 3 season, since it has a soft-sided pop up roof. However, it's well insulated (1.5" thick composite walls), and there is the option for an insulated canvas (R4), heated lithium batteries, heated water tank, and heated cold-water lines. If with all that it's considered 4 season, then yes, it's 4 season. lol.

Arkto

EPO from Website:

Exterior Length (hitch to bumper): 16'8"
Exterior Width: 7'1"
Exterior Height: 7'8"
Interior Living Space Length: 12'
Interior Height: 6'7"
Exterior Accessible Storage Space: 75 cubic feet
Interior Accessible Storage Space: 19 cubic feet
Ground Clearance
Main Chassis: 20
Tongue: 18"
Water tank: 16"

The 93 inch height is to top of Maxx Fan.
Probably add 12" for spare tire to listed lenghth

Working on updated our specs tomorrow, as the storage capacity and a couple other specs have changed a bit.

EPO

Great, thanks Obsessed Rugged and Arkto. If the water lines won't freeze, I'll consider that 4 season:)

Arkto-You are new here and glad to see it. I sent you a message...Look at the top right of the page by your name and you should see it indicated.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like these designs but wish they would do the same layout only 16-18ft box so a dad could pop a simple kid bunk across the front East/West at the top edge of the hard side or N/S between the rear bed and front wall.

My kids aren’t going to be into camping much longer but we need a weather/bear pod etc to hit a few NP’s in the North. Also 16-18ft box opens up at minimum a spot to make coffee and simple grub when conditions outside really suck and are not food prep conditions. Ie dust storm in Moab, hail storm in High Country of Yosemite etc. Mosquito swarms down along the low lands in spring time etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179