Better off over-hauling FR NOBO or Black Series HQ17?

rdrop

We currently have a teardrop by Colorado Teardrops. The two bunkbeds + queen are perfect for sleeping, but the four of us are maybe looking for a bit more space when the weather isn't cooperating. I'd love to do something like the High Altitude Trailers XT105 (or ROA Roamer X), or the Imperial Outdoors X195, or one of the new Pause trailers, but the lack of bunkbeds and their super high price tag has me looking at other options (I really just want a ZoneRV Sojourn — the floor plan is perfect for us).

I fully recognize that everything about the above trailers is a huge step above something like the NOBO 19.3 or a Black Series HQ17. But, I'm wondering if I were to get a decent price on one of those two options used what it would take to modify it into a somewhat serviceable place. What I really want is the ability to do forest service roads without feeling like I'm beating everything to hell. It seems like upgrades would need to be (at least):
- Replace factory suspension with Cruisemaster
- Electrical upgrades for Black Series (it looks like they're a hot mess)
- Replace/reinforce interior cabinets/appliances to better handle trail abuse

Has anyone done this, or seriously evaluated it?

rdrop

Great call — I’m only interested in floor plans that don’t have a slide out. I’ve hard about the horror stories!

Treefarmer

What is your budget? It sounds like you need something the size of an HQ19 with a floorplan that works for four people. By the time you modify a trailer with everything you noted above (not to mention upgrading solar along with electrical), you'll be pushing $100k and still have an inferior box (walls/floor ceiling). Everything new you mentioned new (X195, HAT, Pause, RX, Zone delivered to the US, etc.) is well over $100k. You could look ate the Embers, but be prepared to lay in an ample budget for repairs and upgrades (and they have those pesky slides). The Kingdom Caravan XL is $100k with all of the options a maxed out X195 has to offer and then some (more customizable). Having the best suspension, electrical system, appliances, cabinets, a solid chassis all in a tandem axle (four wheels) that is off road capable and can hold two adults and two children in comfort when the weather is bad is a six figure ask. Or you can get any good sized bumper pull trailer for a lot less, beat the hell out of it, and then buy another new every few years. You may spend more time fixing it that enjoying it.
I’m looking for something more along the lines of the Tandem XL, which looks to start at $100k?
It starts and ends at $100k. That is the maxed out unit with all of the best components and interior layout customization. Not bad considering everything else on the market.

rdrop

@Treefarmer I very much appreciate the perspective here, and have been reading through your posts about the Caravan XL. It looks incredible!

This was a bit of a Hail Mary question, and the response seems to be trending in the direction of..."yeah...if that were a viable option all of us would have done it a long time ago!"

mekcanix

Camper
So here is my take on this. I picked up a 16.5 NoBo at the RV show in winnipeg in 2018. Was looking for a Rpod, came around a corner and fell in love with the marketing, cause in no way is this a offroad trailer. I have since upgraded the bathroom reinforced the dinette seats, lifted it, added solar and done a multiple other things. oh yeah we used it from early spring to late fall and most times we boondock or dry camp at campgrounds. and we have been doing that every year we have had it. So. I am happy with my decision yes and no. Happy I could afford it and we have happily used it to our hearts content to the point we don't want to trade it in on a "better" unit. No cause I fell for the marketing, and I probably could have saved a few more bucks and done the same stuff to a Rpod or some other brand and still enjoy it.Black lake 2022 forum pic.jpg We have taken it down a few trails now and the last to trips down trails nothing fell apart and no odd screws were on the floor.
Also even with the multiple upgrades I am still nowhere near the cost of a black series or pause or what ever the newest units coming out are

The point of all this is get what you can afford so you can go out and start having a blast as opposed to waiting to get perfection and missing out on being in the great outdoors ( did I mention I like having a bathroom as I am in my mid 50's) and the bed is awesome for my back.

John

Have you considered the Intech OVR series? They have a really nice indoor area with a much higher build quality than black series or NOBO, but not hitting that 100k price point. You could probably hook up and go with one of those instead of rebuilding a brand new trailer.

Another option might be the OPUS OP15? It has two bunk beds, a sitting area and I think comes in around 60k new. Build quality is no where near RoamerX/kingdom I imagine but a step above black series and NOBO.

CORVDealers

Are there any more details about that model available?

And that InTech model looks like it could be a good option — thank you!

Not yet - it's in proto stages at the moment. I believe the Pause crew is wanting to take it to Overland Expo in Oregon if they can get everything lined out in time. Shooting for lighter weight and a more aggressive price point to make it more appealing to families (spending wise)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78