Spacekap camper question

granthendry1956

Not sure if this is the right section for this but here goes. Long time lurker, newbie member cause I like pictures.

I’ve been toying with setting a Spacekap Wild or Mory Master 50 (not a cab over) onto a flatbed utility trailer to be used as a one person camper. Bare bones basics. Bed, Porta Potty some very light electrical (solar?), and a secure place to sleep off the ground. I fly fish and I want it on a trailer so it can be used as a basecamp.

So far, I have been unable to find a single version of what I’m describing. I’m beginning to suspect there might be a good reason for that. Can someone enlighten me? If you know of any links to discussions here could you shoot them my way? Thanks in advance.

ottsville

Observer
Spacekamper is a great start - considered doing the same thing. There's been several done that I have seen in various forums. I think there was one here on ExPo, but it was back before the trailer forum got split into Retail and DIY. A lot of really good home builds are still in the retail forum because they never got moved to DIY. Check over there.

simple

Adventurer
I'm not seeing the advantage to the marriage. I would probably just start with a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer. I've had one for 20 years and it is has been versatile for so many different things. They are light enough that they can easily be moved around with a trailer dolly.

Insulate it and add some ventilation and a small window or two. Buddy or diesel heat. There are some really nice light weight sleeping cots, drop in a trail kitchen, a storage rack and plastic tubs, coat hooks, rod storage rack.

If everything is strapped in, you can remove it and use it for hauling or storing stuff when your not camping.

utility trailer link

Last edited:

granthendry1956

I'm not seeing the advantage to the marriage. I would probably just start with a 5x8 enclosed utility trailer. I've had one for 20 years and it is has been versatile for so many different things. They are light enough that they can easily be moved around with a trailer dolly.

Insulate it and add some ventilation and a small window or two. Buddy or diesel heat. There are some really nice light weight sleeping cots, drop in a trail kitchen, a storage rack and plastic tubs, coat hooks, rod storage rack.

If everything is strapped in, you can remove it and use it for hauling or storing stuff when your not camping.

utility trailer link
I’ve looked at a lot of Cargo Conversions ranging from a cot inside with a Hudson Bay blanket to something that a person could live in full time.

My main goal is to have a relatively inexpensive and lightweight unit that doesn’t stay permanently attached to a trailer, freeing it up for other applications. Also, small enough that, with some ingenuity, can be loaded and offloaded with at most two people. I don‘t plan on doing any winter trips in this thing (gets tricky to cut a channel through the ice long enough to cast a fly! 😁).

Appreciate your comments though. Always an alternative to consider.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I’ve looked at a lot of Cargo Conversions ranging from a cot inside with a Hudson Bay blanket to something that a person could live in full time.

My main goal is to have a relatively inexpensive and lightweight unit that doesn’t stay permanently attached to a trailer, freeing it up for other applications. Also, small enough that, with some ingenuity, can be loaded and offloaded with at most two people. I don‘t plan on doing any winter trips in this thing (gets tricky to cut a channel through the ice long enough to cast a fly! 😁).

Appreciate your comments though. Always an alternative to consider.

Find a used, light-weight truck camper, match it to the trailer and skip the build altogether. You'll get more, and likely for less $$, not to mention effort involved.

For dealing with the protruding "cab-over" part of the camper, make the trailer tongue adjustable, such that you can slide in an extra piece to make it longer when the camper is in the trailer, or remove said piece for when you want to use the trailer as a trailer.

granthendry1956

Interesting thought process. Have had that idea but decided against for the following reasons:
1) truck campers tend to be heavier and with waaaaaaay more stuff than I will ever need.
2) some of the places I’ll be trying to go with this unit I’m thinking of are somewhat gnarly and closed in. I think a truck camper has a much bigger footprint.
3) tbh, I think slide in truck box campers are ugly AF. 🤷‍♂️
4) I’m using a 2021 Ford Ranger as a tow rig. I’d want to try to minimize wait and still have something ‘workable’. Space caps come in around 400-500lbs max. Truck campers are awkward and much heavier to deal with.

Sorry, just my opinion but thanks for the suggestions.

Wm Hill

Here's my build that comes close in weight and size to your idea- but from a different direction.

1701042979649.png

granthendry1956

Love the build. Checks a lot of boxes for sure. Seems a little more ‘involved’ than what I envision but to each his own oui? Plus I’m really keen on having something I can slide off the trailer allowing it to be used as just a trailer for dump runs etc. I’m thinking of
Mounting the spacekap on a skid of some sort.

simple

Adventurer
I imagine what your describing is more expensive and heavier than a small enclosed utility trailer.

Most likely you would have to use a flatbed trailer unless you have one custom made. If you are going to place the fiberglass shell inside of an open utility trailer, it would have to be a wide one.

If you went the flatbed route, you could mount some locking storage boxes for the sides that fit under shell overhang. You could add a large storage box with pull out drawer under the shell as well. Add some stake pockets and you could insert some taller plywood sides when the shell is removed for dump runs.

I don't think people have done this because they would just put the shell on the truck and be done with it and not try to leave it at camp. For a basecamp they would probably get a teardrop or something that would offer more amenities than you can fit in one of those shells.

rruff

Explorer
I don't think what your plan is a bad one at all, but I wouldn't call a Spacekap light or cheap for a single wall shell. It should be durable and pretty easy to work with and turn into a camper.

Will you insulate it?

granthendry1956

Light in the sense that the unit I’m considering is just under 500lbs before add ons. Cheap in the sense that a quick search of Kijiji near me lists units that would be suitable for my plan at under $1500. In today’s economy when a piece of plywood is pushing $100 that’s attractive. Not to mention having a ‘light’ weight durable shell practically pre-made is attractive.

And yes, I would insulate. Since I’m not thinking about a 4 (or even 3) season rig I’d insulate more to keep condensation down rather than for heat retention.

Thanks for your comments.

HaveeBear

I had a similar thought, but could not find a camper that fit my trailer. I would have to build the trailer to fit the dimensions of the camper. If you started with a truck bed and made that in to a trailer it would be much easier to fit the camper. It would be much easier to fit most any component, but it wouldn't be inexpensive....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle