Offroad capability of full size truck

reverse01134

Hi, I'm currently in the early planning phase for my next overlanding rig build. I currently own a Jeep Gladiator with a bed rack and rooftop tent. After numerous adventurous trips with this setup, I find myself wanting a larger camper. What I envision is a full-size light duty truck with a custom built camper directly on the frame to maintain the factory bed height. To maximize camper space without extending the wheelbase too much, I'm considering a single cab with an 8ft bed. The camper design I'm thinking of is 5ft high without a cabover, essentially rectangular design, with a pop-up feature. I expect 5ft high camper directly on the frame will be about 1ft over the cab which doesn't seem too bad for the center of gravity.

I have a couple of questions to determine the vehicle choice:

1. Through some research, I noticed that many overland builds are based on heavy-duty trucks. Is payload capacity the main reason? What other benefits do heavy-duty trucks offer as overlanding rigs compared to light-duty trucks? I'm planning the camper to be as light as possible, with an overall weight added to the vehicle of less than 1500 lb which I think light duty trucks can handle well.
  2. While I'm not into rock crawling, I have tackled some moderate trails with the Gladiator. Full-size trucks are known for their good off-road capability but what are their limits? I'm considering 37-inch tires with a suspension lift, a high-clearance front bumper, and adding an angle to the camper rear to improve the departure angle. Might be cutting metals to allow full wheel articulation of 37s. I understand that midsize trucks are better on narrow trails and have shorter wheelbase but the single cab 8ft wheelbase is similar to midsize truck wheelbases. Other than bigger size, are there any disadvantages compared to midsize trucks?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
You'll be amazed what a full size truck can do with proper mods and an experienced driver. I started off roading in high school with the family Excursion (basically an F250) and was always amazed at what it could do. And yes, full size is the go to for overland campers because of large payload and plenty of space. Plenty of after market companies to support most mods, too

Disadvantage would be gas mileage, not being able to fit into starbucks parking lots as easily, and some aftermarket parts might be harder to find or not as many options as a 1/2 ton or mini truck.

reverse01134

You'll be amazed what a full size truck can do with proper mods and an experienced driver. I started off roading in high school with the family Excursion (basically an F250) and was always amazed at what it could do. And yes, full size is the go to for overland campers because of large payload and plenty of space. Plenty of after market companies to support most mods, too

Disadvantage would be gas mileage, not being able to fit into starbucks parking lots as easily, and some aftermarket parts might be harder to find or not as many options as a 1/2 ton or mini truck.
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards a 1/2 ton as this will be used as my daily driver. Keeping it lightweight is also for that reason as well as for vehicle balance and stability on trails. I believe a 1/2 ton payload capacity is well above my target weight added to the vehicle for the build, but since this weight will be on the truck full-time, I'm not entirely certain.

Among the big three domestic brands, are their trucks equally capable for off-road use? None of these automakers offer their off-road-specific trim (Tremor, Trailboss or Rebel) on the single cab, 8ft bed models, but the features that come with the off-road trim, while useful, are not super essential. I'm considering the F150, but I'm curious if Ram or Silverado might offer better ground clearance, wheel articulation, or any other characteristics that make them a better base for an overland build.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards a 1/2 ton as this will be used as my daily driver. Keeping it lightweight is also for that reason as well as for vehicle balance and stability on trails. I believe a 1/2 ton payload capacity is well above my target weight added to the vehicle for the build, but since this weight will be on the truck full-time, I'm not entirely certain.

Among the big three domestic brands, are their trucks equally capable for off-road use? None of these automakers offer their off-road-specific trim (Tremor, Trailboss or Rebel) on the single cab, 8ft bed models, but the features that come with the off-road trim, while useful, are not super essential. I'm considering the F150, but I'm curious if Ram or Silverado might offer better ground clearance, wheel articulation, or any other characteristics that make them a better base for an overland build.
Not that I am biased or anything, but Ford. If it were me, I would size up on the truck so payload of whatever you do or want to do isn't really even a question. Second option for me would be Ram. Personally, I'd stay away from Chevy. I don't think anything they have put out in over a decade has been worth the time/money. Others will disagree, of course, but that's my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to get an offroad specific trim. The FX4, which you should be able to get on an trim level is plenty. If you want, order it with the luxuries you want and then add in lockers, skids, shocks, winch, whatever. For 10k you could get a nice suspension, tires, whatever drive train upgrades you want like a locker and a few other odds and ends to fit your need.

If you really don't want a 3/4 ton, look for an F150 with the HDPP package. Should get you about 2300 (???) in payload. Still plenty for what you want but then factor in water, gear, food, wife or dog, etc. It adds up pretty quick.

The F150 would be a great option. There are many of them on here with various types of builds and they are really becoming more and more popular in the overland world.

crazysccrmd

Observer
You can still custom order a single cab 8’ bed F150 XL/XLT with the heavy duty payload package. That gets you up around 3000lb payload with a bit better daily driver comfort compared to a 3/4 ton truck.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I second what @SDDiver5 said.

I think the first thing is to be realistic about the trails or places you would like the vehicle to take you to. I have never not been able to get somewhere in my full size. I also don't run jeep trails or rock crawl in Moab with my f250.
A few times when I ended up in situations doing some rock crawling, I was very surprised at what the truck could do and do well.
The one drawback that I encounter is occasionally when having to turn around in a tight area on a knife ridge. It just takes a little extra precaution.
Regarding your question about which Domestic Company, you are going to get a lot of opinions here. Ram seems to have captured the overland market in the last few years. I tend to lean towards Ford. I have always had great experiences with Ford Trucks and I love the Ford Truck Specs. You can get an XL, XLT, or Lariet and get the FX4 package which will give you a factory rear locker, manual front locking hubs and on the F250 you can clear 35's from the factory. I run 285x75x18's, they fit under the wheel well and don't rub at all.
I know the same specs are available for the F150's not sure about the tire size on the f150.
Honestly, IMO with a camper and the want of 37's I would get an HD truck.
Hope that helps

FAW3

Adventurer
Thoughts:

It's hard to balance a daily driver and a full featured highly capable overlanding rig. This combination will require compromise and some ingenuity. For instance, as you have said first is keeping the weight down. I'd also keep my tire size down to the 33/35" range. I think that for the daily grind having components that can be stored back at home and free up the truck bed would be practical...perhaps even the camping rig being easily removable.

What do you want specifically as far as "room"? More sleeping room, more storage room, ability to stand up?

Roaming these pages, it can be hard to fight the pull of all the Overlanding Eye Candy. Much is marketing. Stories abound of fully kitted up 4x4 overlanding rigs getting to a fabulous remote destination and finding someone already there in a stock Tacoma.

If I had already had a Jeep Glad I'd consider building from that capable foundation. Perhaps a wedge bed/camper "topper" like the GFC or FWC Class M or even a fully enclosed unit like an Alu-Cab. My electrical power would be a power station, my solar a portable panel, my sink & water system a Boxio sink and some Scepter jugs. Stackable plastic or aluminum boxes for gear, food, and the like.

Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
You can still custom order a single cab 8’ bed F150 XL/XLT with the heavy duty payload package. That gets you up around 3000lb payload with a bit better daily driver comfort compared to a 3/4 ton truck.
I think they got rid of the heavy duty payload package on the 2024's

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Hi, I'm currently in the early planning phase for my next overlanding rig build. I currently own a Jeep Gladiator with a bed rack and rooftop tent. After numerous adventurous trips with this setup, I find myself wanting a larger camper. What I envision is a full-size light duty truck with a custom built camper directly on the frame to maintain the factory bed height. To maximize camper space without extending the wheelbase too much, I'm considering a single cab with an 8ft bed. The camper design I'm thinking of is 5ft high without a cabover, essentially rectangular design, with a pop-up feature. I expect 5ft high camper directly on the frame will be about 1ft over the cab which doesn't seem too bad for the center of gravity.

I have a couple of questions to determine the vehicle choice:

1. Through some research, I noticed that many overland builds are based on heavy-duty trucks. Is payload capacity the main reason? What other benefits do heavy-duty trucks offer as overlanding rigs compared to light-duty trucks? I'm planning the camper to be as light as possible, with an overall weight added to the vehicle of less than 1500 lb which I think light duty trucks can handle well.
  2. While I'm not into rock crawling, I have tackled some moderate trails with the Gladiator. Full-size trucks are known for their good off-road capability but what are their limits? I'm considering 37-inch tires with a suspension lift, a high-clearance front bumper, and adding an angle to the camper rear to improve the departure angle. Might be cutting metals to allow full wheel articulation of 37s. I understand that midsize trucks are better on narrow trails and have shorter wheelbase but the single cab 8ft wheelbase is similar to midsize truck wheelbases. Other than bigger size, are there any disadvantages compared to midsize trucks?
I would probably look for a 3/4 ton for the use and weight you describe. With the camper at 1500 lbs and the other mods give or take 400 extra lbs. Load gear 200 lbs, driver 150-200 lbs (guess) you are looking at around 2300 lbs or so. Sure the 1/2 ton could do it, but a 3/4 ton would do it better and with the added weight ride nice. Plus you get the benefit of straight axles (minus Chevy) and HD components etc.

carleton

Another vote for F250.

It is probably possible to outfit an F150 with the high payload package (if you can find one) and make all those mods & stay @ or under Payload.
.....but an F250 is much more doable without making major compromises.

sancap

As a side thought, comparing a Ram 2500 pickup with a regular cab and 8 foot bed has about a 140" wheel base. A Ram pickup with a crew cab and 6.5' bed has a wheel base about 149 inches.

There is not much of a difference and if you were to delete the rear seats in the crew cab you would have an amazing amount of storage in the cab. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179