EV acceptance is peaking

Interestingly the new and badly needed updated Tacoma lost 1/2 its range towing a 3000lb trailer. Thats kinda in the same ball park as the EVs in range loss.

If you need a long range capable vehicle you buy a vehicle with that capability. You don’t buy a Tacoma or a EV😆
Physics doesn’t play favorites.

Right, as if you have any idea which or how many if any of those abandoned EV's were caused by bad infrastructure, the one underlying constant in this scenario was the cold, frozen batteries!

And again you still haven't answered the dilemma of why EV's plugged into chargers were abandoned! How can all those that were plugged in still not be charging enough to keep the driver warm and able to drive away unless the batteries were not able to take a charge, no lack of chargers in this instance yet you still can't explain that and go back to lack of chargers!

And a troll is a troll, you refusing to acknowledge the fact that EV's plugged in to chargers still stayed frozen and uncharged is typical troll
You clearly don’t understand how charging or batteries work, but I doubt you’re willing to listen either.

Be best.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
You clearly don’t understand how charging or batteries work, but I doubt you’re willing to listen either.

Be best.

Yeah, as if you have any intelligence to pass on here, all you do is whine that people aren't standing in line to buy an EV, keep crying and charge on old dude!

Last edited:
Haven't seen the Tacoma test, but yeah, towing stuff with really bad aero crushes range of all vehicles at highway speeds. Get a truck with a massive gas tank (or preferably, diesel), if you want to tow really long distances often.
33.7 kWh in a gallon of gas. So a Tesla model 3 battery (82 kWh) “holds” roughly 2.5 gallons of gas equivalent energy. 131 kWh in the big battery Lightning less than 4 gallons of gas.

3laine

Right, as if you have any idea which or how many if any of those abandoned EV's were caused by bad infrastructure, the one underlying constant in this scenario was the cold, frozen batteries!

We KNOW many people were affected by insufficient infrastructure, like the guy in the article who drove around looking for an available working charger until his car had to be towed.

We DON'T know how many of the cars that were plugged in and abandoned were sitting around in the cold waiting to charge while their charge dwindled and their battery got colder and less likely to charge (aka, affected by poor infrastructure) vs just pulled right up to an open charger with a warm battery (from driving or pre-conditioning) and the car just wouldn't charge.

If the issue was PURELY about the cold, then we would have seen this issue all over the northern states effecting mass amounts of EVs, but we didn't.

Why? Because the magnitude of this issue is due to the combination of cold AND poor infrastructure, like I've said from the very beginning.

And again you still haven't answered the dilemma of why EV's plugged into chargers were abandoned! How can all those that were plugged in still not be charging enough to keep the driver warm and able to drive away unless the batteries were not able to take a charge, no lack of chargers in this instance yet you still can't explain that and go back to lack of chargers!

I answer this over and over, yet you pretend I don't because your only defense is to ignore the responses and evidence against your demonstrably false claim that "there were plenty of chargers" even though the people who were there say there weren't.

The batteries can get cold enough to not take a charge, but this is rare when there is sufficient infrastructure.

How do we know this? Because if the issue was PURELY about the cold, then we would have seen this issue all over the northern states effecting mass amounts of EVs, but we didn't.

Why did some cars die and others didn't?

I explained this in my very first post on the topic: Showing up to a supercharger with plenty of charge and having set the navigation to the site will pre-condition the battery. Then you charge and go on your way if there's an available charger. If there's NOT a charger available, the car tries to keep the battery heated, but eventually charge can get low enough that the car may give up on heating the battery to save all energy for getting to a safe location. This is what happened to the guy who was actually there, and his car eventually died. If the high voltage battery dies and the 12V battery dies, you can't even charge if you're plugged in. This obviously is incredibly unlikely to happen solely from cold if there's sufficient infrastructure. Which is why the magnitude of the issue is a result of BOTH cold and poor infrastructure.

And a troll is a troll, you refusing to acknowledge the fact that EV's plugged in to chargers still stayed frozen and uncharged is typical troll behavior.

Ah yes, in the Urban Dictionary, the definition of troll is: Noun; One who refuses to acknowledge that a few EVs plugged into chargers still stayed frozen and uncharged.

In reality, I've acknowledged that over and over. You're just lying at this point about what I've said because your only remaining argument is pretending that the answers/knowledge/data/articles don't exist that prove that charging infrastructure was a major contributor to this issue.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Wow we have switched from EV's to children hating parents and climate change.

Just my 2 cents that is definitely worth less than that...I have found that when engaging in spirited debate with ..ahem..."climate change enthusiasts" it is first helpful to determine if they are practicing what they preach.

Any ownership of anything that uses a gasoline motor immediately puts them in the not that serious category especially this day and age when there is a replacement alternative to almost everything with a gas motor that most people use. (industrial equipment/agriculture and a few other categories excluded). From lawn equipment to bicycles to vehicles there is something for the true climate enthusiast. ....I guess you could kinda call it. a get your own house in order before you tell anyone about theirs approach.

I have talked to a few that have their house in order in that regard over the years and it is always an enlightening conversation and sometimes debate but I almost always enjoy the conversation.

Wow we have switched from EV's to children hating parents and climate change.

Just my 2 cents that is definitely worth less than that...I have found that when engaging in spirited debate with ..ahem..."climate change enthusiasts" it is first helpful to determine if they are practicing what they preach.

Any ownership of anything that uses a gasoline motor immediately puts them in the not that serious category especially this day and age when there is a replacement alternative to almost everything with a gas motor that most people use. (industrial equipment/agriculture and a few other categories excluded). From lawn equipment to bicycles to vehicles there is something for the true climate enthusiast. ....I guess you could kinda call it. a get your own house in order before you tell anyone about theirs approach.

I have talked to a few that have their house in order in that regard over the years and it is always an enlightening conversation and sometimes debate but I almost always enjoy the conversation.
I said nothing about hate, I said they would remember.

Yes, almost everything in my life is electric. House 100%, even grill and lawn tools. EV daily driver for 10 years now, 6 kW of solar on the roof. The last thing I own that burns something is the camper in my avatar. There just is no alternative at the moment, but it also only has 30k miles and is 4 years old.

I’m also currently restoring another old house that will also be a 100% electric. Like the one I live in, both were all gas when I bought them.

It’s not just for climate reasons, it also makes financial sense. Aside from $35 monthly fees I paid $498 for electricity last year. All my energy including transportation. Our solar production was down from last year I have two faulting micro inverters we discovered late in the year.

We moved from AZ to CA to live in a community owned utility service area that is not hostile to rooftop solar. Also there is water here.

Funny how your side of the fence demands 100% perfection. Setting impossible goals so people feel overwhelmed and get discouraged or resentful and don't change anything. None of my changes happened overnight and I don’t regret any. Other than I should have done them sooner and should have put more panels up.

Science is real, listen to young people.

Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I said nothing about hate, I said they would remember.

Yes, almost everything in my life is electric. House 100%, even grill and lawn tools. EV daily driver for 10 years now, 6 kW of solar on the roof. The last thing I own that burns something is the camper in my avatar. There just is no alternative at the moment, but it also only has 30k miles and is 4 years old.

I’m also currently restoring another old house that will also be a 100% electric. Like the one I live in, both were all gas when I bought them.

It’s not just for climate reasons, it also makes financial sense. Aside from $35 monthly fees I paid $498 for electricity last year. All my energy including transportation. Our solar production was down from last year I have two faulting micro inverters we discovered late in the year.

We moved from AZ to CA to live in a community owned utility service area that is not hostile to rooftop solar. Also there is water here.

Funny how your side of the fence demands 100% perfection. Setting impossible goals so people feel overwhelmed and get discouraged or resentful and don't change anything. None of my changes happened overnight and I don’t regret any. Other than I should have done them sooner and should have put more panels up.

Science is real, listen to young people.
I'm not on any side of the fence, all I said was I appreciate and don't take anyone seriously telling me or anyone else what they should or should not do until they have their house in order.

Why would some one that really believes that electric power is the key to saving the planet care what goals anyone set, if that is what you believe then you should do whatever you have to do to accomplish the goal, there is no need to tell other people what they should and should not do, or what they should or should not believe.

As I said the only latitude I give for being preached at is from someone that is walking the walk they talk...It seems like you are well on your way, with just a few things yet to sacrifice.

I use electric where it makes sense, gas where it doesn't and keep an open mind and an eye on new technologies and where they stand. I guess you might say I'm kinda right down the middle. I am currently keeping an eye on electric tractor development awaiting the time when they make sense for me over the long term. I have a car to replace in the family in a couple of years so I am also keeping an eye on hybrid/Phev development to see what's going on there and if it makes financial sense when the time comes.

I never said science was not real, I have never denied that climates change either. I do listen to young people, you are not young though....I am actually surrounded with young people professionally and at home...

I haven’t made any sacrifices, that’s your framing.

Your previous posts clearly are worded to tell people what to do. You are spreading doubt in your language “climate change enthusiasts”, belittling cleaner technology and those who would use it. Trying to hold me to a higher standard while you just throw rocks.

Interesting you bring up farm equipment. My grandparents would have been over the moon to be able to produce their own energy. Are you familiar with the invention of the Diesel engine? It was designed to be able to run off of farm commodities. Farmers could press their own oils to run the tractor. Somehow the direction changed and the inventors name was used to label the refining byproduct we now call diesel.

Why do people feel the need to fight against human advancement? What compels them to volunteer their time to stand in the way and defend industries that have known for decades they are harming our future?

Why are you interested in overlanding? Do you enjoy nature? Is it a means to travel to beautiful places, you can enjoy in solitude? Or do you just want to bolt things to your vehicle and look cool? Get muddy and shoot things?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
We KNOW many people were affected by insufficient infrastructure, like the guy in the article who drove around looking for an available working charger until his car had to be towed.

We DON'T know how many of the cars that were plugged in and abandoned were sitting around in the cold waiting to charge while their charge dwindled and their battery got colder and less likely to charge (aka, affected by poor infrastructure) vs just pulled right up to an open charger with a warm battery (from driving or pre-conditioning) and the car just wouldn't charge.

If the issue was PURELY about the cold, then we would have seen this issue all over the northern states effecting mass amounts of EVs, but we didn't.

Why? Because the magnitude of this issue is due to the combination of cold AND poor infrastructure, like I've said from the very beginning.

I answer this over and over, yet you pretend I don't because your only defense is to ignore the responses and evidence against your demonstrably false claim that "there were plenty of chargers" even though the people who were there say there weren't.

The batteries can get cold enough to not take a charge, but this is rare when there is sufficient infrastructure.

How do we know this? Because if the issue was PURELY about the cold, then we would have seen this issue all over the northern states effecting mass amounts of EVs, but we didn't.

Why did some cars die and others didn't?

I explained this in my very first post on the topic: Showing up to a supercharger with plenty of charge and having set the navigation to the site will pre-condition the battery. Then you charge and go on your way if there's an available charger. If there's NOT a charger available, the car tries to keep the battery heated, but eventually charge can get low enough that the car may give up on heating the battery to save all energy for getting to a safe location. This is what happened to the guy who was actually there, and his car eventually died. If the high voltage battery dies and the 12V battery dies, you can't even charge if you're plugged in. This obviously is incredibly unlikely to happen solely from cold if there's sufficient infrastructure. Which is why the magnitude of the issue is a result of BOTH cold and poor infrastructure.

Ah yes, in the Urban Dictionary, the definition of troll is: Noun; One who refuses to acknowledge that a few EVs plugged into chargers still stayed frozen and uncharged.

In reality, I've acknowledged that over and over. You're just lying at this point about what I've said because your only remaining argument is pretending that the answers/knowledge/data/articles don't exist that prove that charging infrastructure was a major contributor to this issue.

Well this horse has been beat to death, in the end the EV's thawed, were charged up and returned to service, all done with no new chargers built, it just took some warmer weather to do it, as expected!

But keep going on about lack of chargers all you like, so far the EV community there seems to be back to normal with the usual slow charging that all EV's go thru compared to the fast refueling of ICE vehicles.

It's been entertaining discussing this situation and seeing how hard you argued that more chargers would have fixed the problem, even though it only took some warm weather to do it.

Enjoy your ICE vehicles and I will do the same, at least until the EV market finally matures enough to offer a vehicle that ticks all the boxes for me to buy one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78